akamcfly
akamcfly Dork
7/16/17 8:03 a.m.

I have an ooooold compressor and tank without an engine. Emblazoned on the side of the tank is "13hp". What would be a suitable electric motor? Or, where would I find a calculation/calculator to umm calculate it? Rule of thumb?

Thanks all

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
7/16/17 8:25 a.m.

I would guess... 13 HP should do it.

OK, you found an old 13 HP gas engine driven compressor with no motor and you want to run it off an electric motor, right? Well, lots of variables here, but if I was to try that, I would get the biggest electric motor my wiring would support, which would probably be 4 or 5 real HP, or "6 HP" in modern compressor motor ratings, or about a 20 amp draw at 220V, mount it up and then mess with the wheel sizes until it worked. Probably a small wheel on the motor or maybe bigger on the compressor or both.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
7/16/17 8:31 a.m.

Compressor manufacturers are famous for making outrageous horsepower claims, so I'd discount any labels on the tank. For that matter, if it does in fact require a 13hp motor, it's most likely too big to run at home - assuming you only have single phase power available, finding an electric motor big enough will be very difficult and expensive, plus most electric utilities won't allow a motor that big on a residential electrical service since it will make all your neighbor's lights dim every time it starts.

What's important are the specifications of the compressor itself. One other thing...if it's really old, the tank may or may not be in good condition. They eventually rust inside, to the point where they aren't safe to use.

akamcfly
akamcfly Dork
7/16/17 10:41 a.m.

The tank came with the compressor. Mentioned more because it's all I have to indicate what was driving the compressor. It may be the case that it's a lost cause, except the compressor is freshly rebuilt. I'll check the casting for any digits, and the tank for any tags to identify it. My brother dragged it home - he has a thing for strays.

Single phase 220v is my limit. This thing was on wheels and the tank may be 20 gallons max. Parallel twin compressor - v belt drive of course.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
10/15/17 7:24 p.m.

Bah, zombie canoe.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
10/20/17 9:34 a.m.

Canoes removed

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nEM1Gb2lE7JSWL9c4Odca7Sp9bsDrsWIRQjUQJ47CC6eMHddNGiCwuq9m38GbazN