1 2
corytate
corytate SuperDork
3/26/14 7:16 a.m.

I ran over something in thebkia the other day that punctured my oil pan, so I decided it was a sign that it was time for me to get something new.
Just signed on a 13 genesis coupe base model last night and I love it already. I already put 150 miles on it.
Alot of upgrades are in the future, amd hopefully some auto x as well since theres a venue very close by.
Anyone else on here have a gen coupe?

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
3/26/14 9:13 a.m.

Love the new powerplants. Great platform. nice car overall.

Oh... and PICS.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/26/14 9:34 a.m.

The Genesis Coupe is underrated IMHO. Enjoy!

racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
3/26/14 10:08 a.m.

My boss has an R-Spec V6 and it's a very nice car. He previously had an R-Spec 2.0T and it also was very nice. I too think they are very underrated. Oh, and you'd swear the V6 is Italian it makes such a nice noise.

Congrats on the car! If you start autocrossing I'd like to know how it does!

Protege2886
Protege2886 Reader
3/26/14 10:14 a.m.

I used to run with a handful of gen-coupes at the events back home. Very quick cars. If you take out the passenger headlight, you essentially create a ram-air into your intake (at least on the older gens - not sure if vehicle packaging has changed since)

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
3/26/14 10:21 a.m.
racerdave600 wrote: My boss has an R-Spec V6 and it's a very nice car. He previously had an R-Spec 2.0T and it also was very nice. I too think they are very underrated. Oh, and you'd swear the V6 is Italian it makes such a nice noise. Congrats on the car! If you start autocrossing I'd like to know how it does!

This, the Lambda is the most beautiful sounding V6 I've ever heard.

corytate
corytate SuperDork
3/26/14 10:29 a.m.

Yes the v6 sounds amazing. My bud bought a 3.8 ultimate with the new 8 speed yesterday too.
First impressions of the car are that it is properly quick. And absolutely gorgeous of course.
Had a lot of fun last night and I havent even broken the tires loose yet lol. Trying to remember I have a turbo car now so I need to run it pff boost for a minute to get the oil circulating away from the hot ass turbo

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
3/26/14 10:37 a.m.
corytate wrote: Yes the v6 sounds amazing. My bud bought a 3.8 ultimate with the new 8 speed yesterday too. First impressions of the car are that it is properly quick. And absolutely gorgeous of course. Had a lot of fun last night and I havent even broken the tires loose yet lol. Trying to remember I have a turbo car now so I need to run it pff boost for a minute to get the oil circulating away from the hot ass turbo

You don't really NEED to do that. It's water cooled as well.

corytate
corytate SuperDork
3/26/14 10:51 a.m.

In reply to Swank Force One:

Ooooooh. So im still thinking old turbo technology? Thats good news if so, dont need to spend money on a turbo timer lol

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
3/26/14 10:58 a.m.
corytate wrote: In reply to Swank Force One: Ooooooh. So im still thinking old turbo technology? Thats good news if so, dont need to spend money on a turbo timer lol

I mean, it's not going to HURT that you do that, but i certainly wouldn't bother with a turbo timer.

Just don't do a brake stand every time you pull into your parking space and you'll be fine.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UberDork
3/26/14 11:08 a.m.

Still a good idea to be gentle for a minute or two on startup and shutdown. Average everyday driving, is no big deal, but come in off the highway from 200mph and kill the engine will still be hard on things.

corytate
corytate SuperDork
3/27/14 10:32 p.m.

Almost halfway through my self mandated 500 mile break in period and still head over heels in love with it.
Got paid to fix the kia and do the used car inspection also. Easiest uci ever:)

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/27/14 11:00 p.m.

Yeah, neat car. We have enjoyed our time with them: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/new-cars/by-make/Hyundai/

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
3/28/14 6:19 a.m.

Still waiting on pics here, nice car indeed.

Watch out for the Korean car haters

corytate
corytate SuperDork
3/28/14 9:06 a.m.

In reply to aussiesmg:

Oh im used to it. I traded in a much slower fwd kia I had for 4 yrs for this one.
Pics forrhcoming when I get to log on to a pc instead of my phone, I promise!

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
3/28/14 9:25 a.m.

I really need to go test drive one of these.

Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
3/28/14 11:13 a.m.

Love that car - especially the 2.0T. Only criticism is the shifter - it's a bit floppy and lacks crispness. Nice flat handling, looks great.

Advan046
Advan046 HalfDork
3/28/14 11:49 a.m.

Congrats on the purchase. They seem to be great cars.

Be patient and while you don't have to worry as much about turbo overheat, consider that all the other stuff trapped under the hood may want their neighbor to cool down before you shut the car down. If you plan to keep the car until it dies it helps all those plastic parts to reduce the heat cycles.

For hot summer days I even try to park my Evo into the wind to help it cool. On one really hot day it had a noticable effect at the autocross as the intake components got cooled down just that little bit more.

corytate
corytate SuperDork
3/28/14 3:09 p.m.

In reply to Advan046:

Thank you for the tip. As of now I definitely want to keep it for a good long time.
I plan on starting a performance shop either here at work for our customers or at home if they wont allow it, so this thing is the perfect demo car for my work, too.
I have a friend driving down here from raleigh to put a quaife diff in his sometime soon, and im more than anxious to get started with mine.
Im probably going to leave the boost untouched for a while and focus on intake, exhaust, coilovers and a rear sway bar for now. And little fixes like the steel clutch line.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
3/28/14 4:16 p.m.

I have this on my comparison list when the 2015 Mustang comes out

Keep the updates coming, your long term ownership will be enlightening

Pssst, still want those pics

corytate
corytate SuperDork
3/29/14 12:38 a.m.

parked next to a coworker's 3.8 ultimate (in the most gorgeous factory blue I've ever seen) that he purchased the same day.

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/29/14 7:57 a.m.

That new front end is growing on me. Wish Kia did a version, since I like their design language better.

doc_speeder
doc_speeder Reader
3/29/14 6:55 p.m.

I looked at a couple today at the dealership. I think the front end is almost ugly, and the fake plastic "vents" in the hood are horrid. If I had one I'd have to find a more attractive kit for the front end and maybe an aftermarket hood? Other than that I really like them.

corytate
corytate SuperDork
3/29/14 6:58 p.m.

I love the new front end and ive heard that someone is producing functional cf vents for these for a good deal. One of my top priorities.
Update: de-restricted the intake by flipping a baffle around and removing a muffler at the inlet. Much more "whoooooooosh" :)
gonna start a build thread and try to do at least one small thing a week to it

corytate
corytate SuperDork
3/31/14 10:49 p.m.

Debadged tonight after hours, much nicer now. Gonna keep the h's and black them out. Also going to order some rally armor universal flaps because im getting a lot of crap off the roads on the car:/

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mdfevrkAjP80q2pj8aKF07YtOfGyIm5vkxb7XCFuiFoeJCqkNxq712pMI05JX3jX