1 2
poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
8/28/13 7:09 p.m.

Disclaimer: If you're thinking about posting the old "You did the crime...." horseE36 M3, please go hit yourself in the face with the business end of a berkeleying clawhammer.

On the way back from tampa last month, I got a little throttle-happy passing a line of mouth-breathing numbtards jamming up the fast lane. Until encountering said line of numbtards, I had the cruise set around 80 with no problems from deputy droopy dog.

I got popped for 87 in a 70. On the spot where the ticket says "You are to appear in court on...." the cop wrote "45 days."

So a few days before the ticket is due, I call to ask about the fine, which was roughly $300. Then I asked if I could speak to the DA. "We don't have a DA." Um. Okay. Can I speak to whomever I need to speak to about getting the fine reduced and/or points dropped. "We don't reduce fines. We have a prosecuting attorney, but he don't talk to defendants on the phone." Okey doke. What time do I need to show up for court on the (whatever date was 45 days from when I was issued the ticket.) "Have you requested a court date in writing?" No. "Well you have to request a court date in writing." I asked how many points would go on my license. Chick says "I don't know."

So I look it up on the state of GA's website. 17 over = 2 points. I finally say "berkeley it" and hit the easy button: Pay the fine online. Print the receipt, staple it to my ticket, and stick it in the glovebox.

So today I come home and get a letter from the GA "Department of Driver Services" informing me that my license will be suspended if I don't send them $200, per the "Super Speeder" law. (Thanks Sonny Perdue and Nathan Deal, you mouth-breathing pole-smoking inbred redneck berkeleytard motherberkeleyers!) Anything over 85 = an additional $200 fine.

Here's the thing: Nobody told me a goddamned thing about this. I was AWARE of the "Super Speeder" law, and given that this was a 3 berkeleying hundred dollar ticket, I assumed that was factored into the cost, IF it applied.

I'm calling an attorney tomorrow, but I'm assuming I'm berkeleyed, as I've already paid the ticket and therefore effectively admitted guilt.

Just an FYI for anyone else in GA. Just when you think the Tax Collectors in blue are done with you, they'll find a new berkeleying orifice to violate. If you make less than $500 a day, it's worth your time to go fight the motherberkeleyer and at least get them to drop it to 10 over. Pay the $300, and not have that bullE36 M3 on your record. Don't be a dumbberkeley like me and assume THE FINE is the motherberkeleying FINE. It's not the end. It's the beginning.

Another FYI: If you're a berkeleying radar jockey shopping at a small business that does custom work, you might think it's a great idea to mention your profession in the interest of getting some kind of discount. Lemme know how that works out fer ya.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
8/28/13 7:16 p.m.

1989......... a number

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
8/28/13 7:18 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote: 1989......... a number

"I GOTTA LETTER FROM THE GOVERNMENT...THE OTHA DAY...."

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
8/28/13 7:20 p.m.

Or, even better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUqdrkpsIho

drsmooth
drsmooth Reader
8/29/13 12:18 a.m.

WOW!!! I had no idea that Georgia, had any sort of reputation for outlandish tickets, or fees for speeding!!!

aircooled
aircooled PowerDork
8/29/13 12:34 a.m.
poopshovel wrote: ... If you make less than $500 a day, it's worth your time to go fight the motherberkeleyer and at least get them to drop it to 10 over. Pay the $300, and not have that bullE36 M3 on your record. ...

If you want to fight this practice effectively you need to start a movement for everyone to fight the tickets they get. This would cause a massive backlog in the system.

Somehow I suspect though, they would figure out a way to punish those who fight.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
8/29/13 2:30 a.m.
aircooled wrote:
poopshovel wrote: ... If you make less than $500 a day, it's worth your time to go fight the motherberkeleyer and at least get them to drop it to 10 over. Pay the $300, and not have that bullE36 M3 on your record. ...
If you want to fight this practice effectively you need to start a movement for everyone to fight the tickets they get. This would cause a massive backlog in the system. Somehow I suspect though, they would figure out a way to punish those who fight.

they don't like it when people stand up for their rights... they absolutely hate it when people try to get out of paying "fees"...

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UberDork
8/29/13 8:00 a.m.
drsmooth wrote: WOW!!! I had no idea that Georgia, had any sort of reputation for outlandish tickets, or fees for speeding!!!

This. I've driven through Georgia for 20+ years. There's a reason I refuse to run more than 5mph over the speed limit. Ever. It can be the longest 354 miles sometimes, but I refuse to go fast and get a ticket there.

I remember when they used to hide the mustangs in the center median brush. Nothing like passing them at 2am and the bush next to you explodes in blue lights to get the guy behind you.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/29/13 8:08 a.m.

The law explained.

This site agrees with poopshovel that you should fight in court. It's probably a site paid for by lawyers but it does make good points.

We had something like this in VA for a short time. It was repealed as it didn't apply fairly to out of state drivers. Sorry to hear about this one.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UberDork
8/29/13 9:22 a.m.

You shoulda hired that attorney back when you brought it up the first time.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
8/29/13 10:16 a.m.
spitfirebill wrote: You shoulda hired that attorney back when you brought it up the first time.

Nope. Attorney for the local ticket was going to charge me $200 to do what it took me 5 minutes to do myself. What I SHOULD have done was gone in person to plead no-lo and get the points & super-speeder dropped. Thing is, they never gave me a court date, and never informed me about the super-speeder thing. I'll see if I have any recourse after the fact, but I doubt it. Just a PSA for other folks out there. I've gotten over a dozen tickets, none of which are on my driving record...except this one, which I paid like a berkeleying fool, under the pretense that I'd just get 2 points on my license and be done with it.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
8/29/13 10:21 a.m.
Xceler8x wrote: The law explained. This site agrees with poopshovel that you should fight in court. It's probably a site paid for by lawyers but it does make good points. We had something like this in VA for a short time. It was repealed as it didn't apply fairly to out of state drivers. Sorry to hear about this one.

Sounds like I'm pretty well berkeleyed from the link. Oh well. Live & learn.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
8/29/13 10:26 a.m.

So the ticket was issued in GA? You're boned thanks to a stupid municipality.

aircooled
aircooled PowerDork
8/29/13 10:31 a.m.
drsmooth wrote: WOW!!! I had no idea that Georgia, had any sort of reputation for outlandish tickets, or fees for speeding!!!

Well... you know they did just do a survey to find out what the most expensive state to own a car is. Obviously, California was the highest...

...oh wait:

http://money.cnn.com/2013/08/21/autos/car-ownership-costs/index.html

It is funny how everyone rags on CA for this and yet Georgia is worse. Especially when you consider how much more expensive gas is in CA.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/29/13 10:34 a.m.
poopshovel wrote:

and Poop said it wit authority!

Gasoline
Gasoline Dork
8/29/13 10:55 a.m.

I was nailed on Hwy 124 in Dekalb Co. 76 in 45 (31 mph over). Cop and I got to BSing and I asked him to reduce it to 19 mph over or write me 2 tickets so I don't get Super Speeder? He said "don't worry, Super Speeder is only enforceable on the interstate and not on the 4 lane he got me on. I was suprised. In the end, I paid $90.00 quite happily.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
8/29/13 11:04 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote:
I remember when they used to hide the mustangs in the center median brush. Nothing like passing them at 2am and the bush next to you explodes in blue lights to get the guy behind you.

I'm not sure if that's better or worse then the po-pos that sit in the middle of a turning lane on our divide double lane roads they love to have so much down here around Houston... often wondered how many people have nearly rear ended them.

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
8/30/13 12:25 a.m.

That cop? Berk him and John Wayne.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado UltimaDork
8/30/13 1:51 a.m.

What Poop didn't mention (for good reason, when so much money is involved) is what this has done to traffic flow on the Interstate in GA. Folks seem to know that most cops in GA won't even look at you for doing less than 10 over. They also know that there's a big fine for being hit with 20 over. So, everyone is "clamped down" into a 10mph range. In addition, now that the State Patrol & county cops can make more money, there's more patrolling by both agencies everywhere you go. You can't speed up to get by a car slower than you, and then clear the passing lane for someone going faster than you. Especially down in the city of Atlanta (inside of I-285) when the limit is still 55mph.

Back when I commuted to the city for my old job, it wasn't so bad. Now, it's three years later. When I got the new job in the city (after the Super Speeder profit grab), it's been absolutely miserable. Only thing I've ever experienced that's anyway similar was driving through Virginia during the 55mph/no radar detector days ten years ago. Someone driving 56mph trying to get by someone doing 54. Left Lane Blocker that doesn't understand they're actually blocking the left lane, because they were so afraid they'll be pulled over for doing 60. Same behavior from the "appliance users" on the road here these days. I've actually started leaving the house an hour early to insure I get to work on time.

I still contend that compressing traffic, rather than allowing it to flow actually increases the chance that an accident will happen.

nicksta43
nicksta43 SuperDork
8/30/13 6:01 a.m.

Simplest solution, burn Georgia down.

Jake
Jake Dork
8/30/13 9:05 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote:
This. I've driven through Georgia for 20+ years. There's a reason I refuse to run more than 5mph over the speed limit. Ever. It can be the longest 354 miles sometimes, but I refuse to go fast and get a ticket there.

Every ticket I’ve ever received in my driving career has been in Georgia. Two crossing the northwest corner on I59, and one in Tifton. The one in Tifton made me laugh pretty hard, even though it was a couple-hundred-dollar ticket. Guy sounded like Foghorn Leghorn and looked like Boss Hogg. “Well I say, boah. Where you GOIN’ in such an all-fired hurrah?”

GA troopers are good at the revenue collection.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
8/30/13 9:38 a.m.
aircooled wrote:
Well... you know they did just do a survey to find out what the most expensive state to own a car is. Obviously, California was the highest... ...oh wait: http://money.cnn.com/2013/08/21/autos/car-ownership-costs/index.html It is funny how everyone rags on CA for this and yet Georgia is worse. Especially when you consider how much more expensive gas is in CA.

Interesting. I wonder if they're working on outdated information though. Georgia recently changed the vehicle Ad Valorem tax to a one-time 6.5% raping. Saved me a pile of dough on the Mazda.

http://georgia.gov/blog/2013-02-25/car-owners-pay-one-time-title-ad-valorem-tax

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro HalfDork
8/30/13 9:48 a.m.
poopshovel wrote: Interesting. I wonder if they're working on outdated information though. Georgia recently changed the vehicle Ad Valorem tax to a one-time 6.5% raping. Saved me a pile of dough on the Mazda. http://georgia.gov/blog/2013-02-25/car-owners-pay-one-time-title-ad-valorem-tax

It was cheaper for me to keep my 79 Dually on the yearly Ad Valorem tax ($1.42) than the one time tax ($130). My Bonneville is stuck on the yearly tax as I got it before 2012.

On the Super Speeder, it has slowed people down some on the highway, so at least some good came out of it.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
8/30/13 11:27 a.m.
Jake wrote:
Bobzilla wrote:
Every ticket I’ve ever received in my driving career has been in Georgia. Two crossing the northwest corner on I59, and one in Tifton. The one in Tifton made me laugh pretty hard, even though it was a couple-hundred-dollar ticket. Guy sounded like Foghorn Leghorn and looked like Boss Hogg. “Well I say, boah. Where you GOIN’ in such an all-fired hurrah?” GA troopers are good at the revenue collection.

Yeah man. South GA is the freaking worst. I usually set the cruise around 7 over from Perry down to Valdosta. Last time I went to Gainesville, there was a cop on an overpass near Cordele. Got about a mile down the road and there were SIX cop cars/SUVs hugging the wall in the emergency lane. Crazy.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
8/30/13 11:28 a.m.
81cpcamaro wrote:
poopshovel wrote: Interesting. I wonder if they're working on outdated information though. Georgia recently changed the vehicle Ad Valorem tax to a one-time 6.5% raping. Saved me a pile of dough on the Mazda. http://georgia.gov/blog/2013-02-25/car-owners-pay-one-time-title-ad-valorem-tax
It was cheaper for me to keep my 79 Dually on the yearly Ad Valorem tax ($1.42) than the one time tax ($130). My Bonneville is stuck on the yearly tax as I got it before 2012. On the Super Speeder, it has slowed people down some on the highway, so at least some good came out of it.

Right. Because we should all be going 55 berkeleying miles an hour on the connector/285.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LYY091mvenyr3bcMonnAVC3J85AYoISbUer4zkBzhzX8Iy6MlOyIo86FeGGZQpvy