1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9
SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/31/20 11:56 a.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

You can nay-say it if you like (and I agree with you)

But it's very likely you own some of those companies if you have mutual funds in any well-balanced fund. 

The pros buy them. 

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
8/31/20 12:04 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

I said it was because his cars are crap quality and he can't manufacture paper bags.. 

It worked for GM, Chrysler and Ford for years.

I haven't bought Tesla because I have a set amount of "play" money for this every month and Tesla is more than I am comfortable spending. I play in the Canadian markets, mostly with aristocrat ETFs and REITs.

I have a couple mutual funds that invest partly in tech companies. I'm sure there is probaly some Tesla stock in there.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/31/20 12:04 p.m.
SVreX (Forum Supporter) said:

The pros buy them. 

and what do we know about the pros?  half of them are below average in their field.

8/31/20 12:06 p.m.
ShawnG said:

I haven't bought Tesla because I have a set amount of "play" money for this every month and Tesla is more than I am comfortable spending. I play in the Canadian markets, mostly with aristocrat ETFs and REITs.

Bob Costas futures is the only thing i'd pay $2k per share to own.

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
8/31/20 12:06 p.m.

True. 

And most of them are above the average amateur. 

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
8/31/20 12:09 p.m.

While you were waiting for your Bob Costas futures to mature, I made 63% on my money last month. 

Hows that working out for you? cheeky

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/31/20 12:11 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

Also, if you decided NOT to buy Tesla shares anytime in the last 2ish years, why did you decide that? What has changed about the company now? If you did the same calculation above both last year and today, you had better have found some very compelling evidence that the inherent value of the Tesla corporation has increased more than 10x if you answered no last year and yes this year. 

agree 100%.  last year my reason was "because that guy is a kook."  

Last year my reason was I didn't have $.  Then i got money, and had i put it in I would be a millionaire right now, so i figured with the split i may as well see if i can't get Elon to finance my planned GTR purchase instead of a credit union or bank.  I will play with my car money to try and make more, and car money is going well this year.  I'm headed towards 5 figure car/part sales this year for hobby funding so come on Kooky Elon, make me some $

8/31/20 12:12 p.m.

so you're up to $163 pre-tax.  that's nice.

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/31/20 12:13 p.m.
ShawnG said:

Bob Costas futures is the only thing i'd pay $2k per share to own.

Why pay for Bob Costas futures when babushka will trade you for a can of borscht 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/31/20 12:14 p.m.

This is true, and I am ok owning the entire market for many reasons. I'm even ok buying the entire market right now on a dollar cost averaging plan (when the market is overvalued your same dollar buys fewer shares with which to get hammered on later).

But I also know the "pros" make most of their money by convincing people to give it to them (the mutual fund fees or transaction fees etc), rather than by making returns.  

I'm interested to know your rationale that Tesla will go up another 100%, however.

8/31/20 12:15 p.m.
Patrick (Forum Supporter) said:

I will play with my car money to try and make more, and car money is going well this year.  I'm headed towards 5 figure car/part sales this year for hobby funding so come on Kooky Elon, make me some $

nice!  i won't ask how much you paid for that 5 figures worth of car/part sales because that would violate car guy code.  ;-)

last time i gambled my car money, my first pick doubled, so i pulled my original $ and put the profit on a different pick, which promptly went to zero.

8/31/20 12:17 p.m.

But I also know the "pros" make most of their money by convincing people to give it to them (the mutual fund fees or transaction fees etc), rather than by making returns.  

QFT

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/31/20 12:25 p.m.

QFT

I had to look that one up. I thought it was Quite Berking True. Close enough.

8/31/20 12:45 p.m.
CAinCA said:

QFT

I had to look that one up. I thought it was Quite Berking True. Close enough.

now i'm going to start using QBT

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
8/31/20 1:01 p.m.

I agree that most money pros make is by selling their "expertise"  I long time ago I found out that less than 5% of all "pros" beat the Dow Jones average over a 5 year period. 

In that case why not just buy the Dow or whatever  your benchmark is?  The prime advantage of that other than low purchase cost is every news report tells you how you're doing. "The Dow was up today 26 points" 

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
8/31/20 3:07 p.m.

so you're up to $163 pre-tax.  that's nice.  

Keep dreaming.

Have fun. 

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
8/31/20 3:19 p.m.

I'm interested to know your rationale that Tesla will go up another 100%, however.

Really simple.  I read.

Here's a link to a Google search:

Could Tesla hit $7000?

You'll find page after page of analyst's thoughts on the matter.  Then make your own judgement.

The $7K prediction was made back in February.  COVID really hasn't changed much for them.  My 2X goal would only be $4600 (pre-split prices)

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/3/20 12:07 p.m.

Tough day for stocks in general...extra tough for tech...extra, extra tough for Tesla (down eight plus percent).

As they say "the stock market takes the stairs up and the elevator down".

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
9/3/20 12:43 p.m.

In reply to RX Reven' :

Jobs report comes out tomorrow, long weekend after that. Probably just people being cautious.

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/3/20 2:00 p.m.

NVIDIA is down 9% so far today. I knew I should have sold yesterday when we were at record highs.

TSLA from post-split high of 502 on Tuesday to a close of 407 today. down 25% in 2 days.

mattm
mattm GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/3/20 6:54 p.m.

$407 is $2035 pre split so still outperforming every index for the year.  Lot of FOMO with this stock and anticipation for battery day announcements.  

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
9/6/20 9:00 a.m.

SoftBank pump n dump.  Stay classy Japan. 

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo Dork
1/26/21 2:09 a.m.

Bumping this because I was looking at Ford on the recommendation of this thread, saw when it was $4, now it's $11 and kicking myself for not buying some. It's interesting going back and seeing what the winners, losers and no gainers are. I'm a first time individual stock buyer (not counting employee stock purchase plan, 401k and VTSAX) and want to invest $5k via E*TRADE (I have an account because of the employee purchase plan, is Robinhood any better?) also for some reason I'm more comfortable looking at sub $10 stocks. 

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
1/26/21 7:58 a.m.

Still holding my TSLA. 

Looks like it was $407 on 9/3 according to this thread. It's $880 today. 

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SoTtUZRNg1PGLOpYJQ7KuVYsKOc7yxkGJcXAjyLpop9YvqoaPjPy7Hv83t8BdmGn