1 ... 5 6 7 8 9
AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD (Forum Supporter) Dork
1/26/21 8:33 a.m.
SVreX (Forum Supporter) said:

Still holding my TSLA. 

Looks like it was $407 on 9/3 according to this thread. It's $880 today. 

A few months back I stopped trying to make sense of TSLA's price and bought a share. Recently I sold off most of my other 'play money' stocks and put it all into TSLA. Earnings come out tomorrow.

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/26/21 8:53 a.m.

Gamestop is a weird roller coaster ride

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/26/21 9:11 a.m.

Remember when i said buy gbtc at $12 and now it's over $30?  

also sold $6000 worth of tsla at $480 surprise

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/26/21 10:44 a.m.

In reply to Patrick (Forum Supporter) :

Even with the overvalued price tag, I'm still expecting it to rise by more than 100% more. 

Huh.  This post aged pretty well.  TSLA was $442 on that day (8/2020).   Right now, it's $889.

Completely illogical.

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/26/21 11:10 a.m.

I got in and out of TSLA, I think I was up 30%. It actually just sold this morning. 

I'm now in OZSC. I was up roughly 300%, then jumped in with more money as I think it is going higher. Including my second purchase, I'm up 170%. Not sure when I'll sell. This one seems like it may be better to hold for a while. 

Otherwise, I got burned on ZOM - down 32%, I need to get out of HMHC (up 30%, don't be greedy), and I think I'll keep ABBV. 

Most of the portfolio, though, is in VTSAX or similar.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/26/21 12:33 p.m.

In reply to Patrick (Forum Supporter) :

Even with the overvalued price tag, I'm still expecting it to rise by more than 100% more. 

Huh.  This post aged pretty well.  TSLA was $442 on that day (8/2020).   Right now, it's $889.

Completely illogical.

Yeah!

I have always been a Tesla bull but right now I'm a huge bear. I read an article the other day that said Telsa's single day 8% drop (which was gained back in the next 2 days) represented a market cap change of MORE THAN AN ENTIRE GENERAL MOTORS. 

Tesla is now losing and gaining GMs on a daily basis. Something is very wrong...

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/26/21 12:51 p.m.

Warning - Shameless Self Promotion.

Somebody on this board mentioned that they bought some Bed, Bath, & Beyond (BBBY) on my advice.

I can't remember who it was or when exactly they pulled the trigger but if memory serves it was around August when BBBY was trading at $12 and it's currently a little north of $35.

The individual asked for a hard core boom or bust recommendation and I suggested BBBY simply because it had been wildly beaten down and darn it, I really enjoy visiting their stores and buying junk (perhaps this belongs in the Minor Confessions thread cheeky).  Zero technical analysis went into my recommendation...just a store I personally frequent at dumpster fire prices.

Anyway, I'd like to know who it was, what they paid for it, and if they're still holding the stock.   

RX Reven'
1/26/21 1:20 p.m.
DuctTape&Bondo said:

for some reason I'm more comfortable looking at sub $10 stocks. 

The stock price means almost nothing what so ever...a $10 stock can be super expensive and a $1,000 stock can be super cheap.

The only trivial exceptions are that some novice investors think the same way (self-fulfilling prophecy) and the purchase of partial shares is less intuitive / straight forward so some will shy away from a $3,000 stock because they only want to risk $2,000.

How "expensive" a stock is should be measured by its P/E ratios and PEG ratios...the super long term average PE ratio for the S&P 500 is ~15.88 and has wildly ranged between ~5.3 and ~124.

Right now, it's around 39 (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) so based on earnings,the stock market should crash down to about half its current value.  But, everything is distorted due to COVID and the Fed is overriding a natural rebalancing (not saying it's a good or bad thing).

Whatever, if you ever need a great straight edge to build bookshelves with or whatever, just print out a long term chart of the stock market...fewer things in the universe form a more true line.

Work hard, live below your means, and buy and hold index funds...no guarantees in life but this is by far your best shot.  

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
1/26/21 1:45 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

Tesla is now losing and gaining GMs on a daily basis. Something is very wrong...

I think it's like dollars. It has a particular value because enough people believe it does. Neither is supported by mathematics or substantial value.  

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
1/26/21 2:37 p.m.
RX Reven' said:
DuctTape&Bondo said:

The stock price means almost nothing what so ever...a $10 stock can be super expensive and a $1,000 stock can be super cheap.

The only trivial exceptions are that some novice investors think the same way (self-fulfilling prophecy) and the purchase of partial shares is less intuitive / straight forward so some will shy away from a $3,000 stock because they only want to risk $2,000.

How "expensive" a stock is should be measured by its P/E ratios and PEG ratios...the super long term average PE ratio for the S&P 500 is ~15.88 and has wildly ranged between ~5.3 and ~124.

Reading that reminded me of why I wouldn't buy TSLA for so long. Right now it's P/E is 1,697.28 with a market cap of 841.395B. Compare to GM's P/E 23.51 and a market cap of 75.029B. GM shares have way more 'value' than TSLA, yet TSLA trades at >$880 today and GM is around $52. Math does not work. Reminds me of when I sold AMZN (years ago) in the $300 range because of math and trends. Now it's well over $3,000.

I will never understand the real workings of the stock market. My real savings will stay in index funds, but it sure is fun to have a few thousand to speculate with.

RX Reven'
1/26/21 2:57 p.m.
AAZCD (Forum Supporter) said:
RX Reven' said:
DuctTape&Bondo said:

Reading that reminded me of why I wouldn't buy TSLA for so long. Right now it's P/E is 1,697.28 with a market cap of 841.395B. Compare to GM's P/E 23.51 and a market cap of 75.029B. GM shares have way more 'value' than TSLA, yet TSLA trades at >$880 today and GM is around $52. Math does not work. Reminds me of when I sold AMZN (years ago) in the $300 range because of math and trends. Now it's well over $3,000.

I will never understand the real workings of the stock market. My real savings will stay in index funds, but it sure is fun to have a few thousand to speculate with.

I do the same thing...almost everything in Index funds but a little individual equities when I've got a hunch.

I had a hunch on AMZN when it was trading at $47 (technically $94 pre 2:1 split) and I've done the Braveheart thing (Hold! - Hold!) all the way to today's $3,324 price.  

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/28/21 8:23 a.m.

I'm sitting out for a while. Index only. Some crazy gains to be made, for sure, but its too risky for me.

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
1/28/21 8:36 a.m.

AAL just had a nice bump. Loss was less than expected and the 737 Max is back. Too bad I only held a few shares. I know that I have lots of travel plans for later this year when the COVID red light changes to green. Airlines and travel may be a good buy. Buy now while 'Experts' disagree?

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
1/28/21 8:51 a.m.
mtn (Forum Supporter) said:

I'm sitting out for a while. Index only. Some crazy gains to be made, for sure, but its too risky for me.

I feel the exact same way. Though 'feeling' should be the number one thing I need to remove from my investing vocabulary. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
1/28/21 8:57 a.m.

AAL just had a nice bump. Loss was less than expected and the 737 Max is back. Too bad I only held a few shares. I know that I have lots of travel plans for later this year when the COVID red light changes to green. Airlines and travel may be a good buy. Buy now while 'Experts' disagree?

My coworker is really into strategies like this. 2 problems with it in my eyes:

1. With the prevalence and quality (and massively reduced cost) of video calls, I see a lot of business travel reduced indefinitely. Maybe there is a burst of pent up demand when the light turns green, but that could actually be bad for airlines who can't ramp up to match demand and then ramp back down correctly. 

2. The whole thing hinges on the assumption that the airline prices were rational pre-covid, and that they will follow rationality IF we get a green light. I've not done near enough research to have an idea on the first and the second is anyone's guess. 

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
1/28/21 11:16 a.m.

Of course... $AAL is on Robinhood's restricted list now - sell only - and dropping, in part, due to their (Robinhood's) manipulation.

Greg Smith (Forum Supporter)
Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) Dork
1/28/21 4:54 p.m.
RX Reven' said:

Warning - Shameless Self Promotion.

Somebody on this board mentioned that they bought some Bed, Bath, & Beyond (BBBY) on my advice.

I can't remember who it was or when exactly they pulled the trigger but if memory serves it was around August when BBBY was trading at $12 and it's currently a little north of $35.

The individual asked for a hard core boom or bust recommendation and I suggested BBBY simply because it had been wildly beaten down and darn it, I really enjoy visiting their stores and buying junk (perhaps this belongs in the Minor Confessions thread cheeky).  Zero technical analysis went into my recommendation...just a store I personally frequent at dumpster fire prices.

Anyway, I'd like to know who it was, what they paid for it, and if they're still holding the stock.   

I'm still playing in Robinhood with small amount of money. Bought back in March and sold at a small loss. Decided to pick it back up earlier this month, and it's up significantly. 

I need to train myself to buy and hold...

Also, I want anything I buy and hold to pay a dividend, which I DRIP (dividend reinvestment program) into more shares. I can do fractional shares too :)

My winners for this past year:

UPS (up 46%, better dividend and picked over FedEx)
Ubiquiti (up 48%; bought because I believe in the product)
CLF (up 344%; 1 free share from Robinhood + I bought more)
Microsoft (up 26%)
Peloton

looking at NIO

Also bought sub-$100 quantities of bitcoin, ethereum and sub $10 litecoin, dogecoin. So far the only one down is litecoin (19 cents). 

Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter)
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/3/21 4:52 a.m.

Boeing (BA) is down to $200 (sometimes under) with two large drops last year from the Max and Covid.  In Feb of 2020 it was trading for high $300s.

If it gets close to $160 again, I'll buy in some more (i bought between 2009 and 2012).  I swear it was around $40 a share when i made my first purchase...  (full disclosure: Boeing employee).  

Rolls Royce aviation division (RYCEY) took a huge hit between Feb and December 2020 and is now steadily trading at $1.37.  I have every expectation that this will go back up to it's original values in a year or two (9million jabs so far in the UK, 500k got their second jabs per Sky news this morning.  Sputnik is showing a 90-something vaccine rate).  Plus they just acquired some maritime tech.

Full disclosure, i dont know diddly or squat. 2 years ago i made a "how to buy stocks thread" and have made a consistent (but meager) 10% steadily since then. I only just discovered that some of my dividends didnt get reinvested and thought i'd play a bit.

Good times

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
2/3/21 10:03 a.m.

In reply to Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) :

There are a lot of stocks that seem like they became overinflated over the last year, with much of the market.  I like your view of BA and RYCEY - down right now due to the last year's events, but stable at a much higher price before.

2/3/21 11:32 a.m.
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) said:

Boeing (BA) is down to $200 (sometimes under) with two large drops last year from the Max and Covid.  In Feb of 2020 it was trading for high $300s.

If it gets close to $160 again, I'll buy in some more (i bought between 2009 and 2012).  I swear it was around $40 a share when i made my first purchase...  (full disclosure: Boeing employee).  

Rolls Royce aviation division (RYCEY) took a huge hit between Feb and December 2020 and is now steadily trading at $1.37.  I have every expectation that this will go back up to it's original values in a year or two (9million jabs so far in the UK, 500k got their second jabs per Sky news this morning.  Sputnik is showing a 90-something vaccine rate).  Plus they just acquired some maritime tech.

Hadn't considered Rolls (and now I can say I own stock in Rolls Royce... which is kind of cool!) dropped to ~1.33 but I picked up 100 shares at just under $1.34. It's worth a shot. And if it goes to 0, I can *still* say I have stock on RR :)

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/3/21 11:54 a.m.

I signed up for an E trade account to try and learn a bit so expect everything to crash any day now. 

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
2/3/21 12:02 p.m.

I'm in RYCEY!

...and still holding $GME. Can't lose if you don't sell. I just like the stock.

chaparral
chaparral Dork
2/3/21 12:27 p.m.

Current holdings: long PFE (how cheap are vaccines to make? how much are desperate governments willing to pay for them?), long PSX (we'll be driving again this summer), short HOG (on an expressway to a well-deserved Chapter 7) 

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
2/16/21 1:05 p.m.

Wow, RYCEY went up about 14% today so far. That worked well for me. I had lost a bit (still holding) $GME ('diamond hands'  wink  ha ha) and it balanced out my losses. Planning to stop impulse buying for a while and hold.

2/17/21 3:26 p.m.

Glad I picked up some RYCEY - 100 shares at $1.37, then 100 more. Nice!  "Yeah, I own some Rolls Royce..."   WAY back in the early 1980's i had family working in a Richmond VA Chevrolet/Geo/Rolls Royce dealer (Dominion Chevrolet) Neat times!

...it doesn't offset my buying into the DOGE hype and being a bit under my average purchase price now... but I'm HODLing over 10,000 DOGE for "someday".  

Overall, this is not for quick wins, and more for the long term for me. 

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wKhVkH4MGklsV42yyIdXYcZDrgSLa4FQgPi2eBczmYLoljcIEqGm39lunvgQJVB5