1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/5/18 10:26 a.m.
poopshovel again said:

I'm quoting that just so I can see this picture again. My coworkers don't understand why I keep laughing.

I think this picture should be the entirety of Say What in the next issue. No caption, no explanation. Just the picture.

TenToeTurbo
TenToeTurbo Dork
6/5/18 11:02 a.m.

I had a similar setup on my JD lawn tractor when one of my deck's pulley bearings took a crap. I used a free-to-me Honda powered Troy Bilt. It was free because the self propulsion didn't work. I used a short length of chain with spring snap links on either end. The spring snap links hooked over the front axles of the Troy Bilt. To prevent the towed mower from crashing in to me on downhills, I fitted two lengths of PVC conduit over the chain. Hookup was a matter of dropping the chain over the hitch ball. I used bungee cords to hold the side chute and rear flap fully open to prevent it getting clogged while mowing my overgrown front lawn.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man UltraDork
6/5/18 2:49 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

It needs to be Internet Hot Rod Of The Month except with no caption or explanation.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
6/5/18 3:41 p.m.

Aaaaaaaaw. You guys are too kind!

The PVC idea is BRILLIANT! My brother: "You know if you stop, this thing is going to run over the chain, right?" Me: "So you're saying don't stop or something cool will happen?" It actually worked a lot better/longer than I thought it would. The grass has gotten crazy high, so I figured it'd bog down & die quickly. Held the poop-chute open with a bungee cord and it did just fine (I'll probably just remove the flapper.) The zip-ties broke a couple times. Will replace with a small piece of chain between the height adjusters.

Gonna try to get the other mower running this weekend. Hopefully something chicken-E36 M3 like a plug/wire. Also: It's mine and mrs. poop's 15th anniversary this weekend, and she is ALL_ABOUT seeing the Discomower dream come to fruition, in between fishing and lighting stuff on fire.

But yeah, for now, I got to cut the grass with cold A/C and a cold beverage(s) while blasting whatever E36 M3ty punk rawk CD is stuck in the player (came with the car;) so not a bad trial run! It berkeleying WORKED! (kinda.)

poopshovel again
6/5/18 6:18 p.m.

*also: I feel a third mower may be necessary to bring balance to the force.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
6/5/18 6:38 p.m.

Why to height adjusters? Why not bolt chain directly to the deck? Put bolt head on blade side for clearance purposes. 

poopshovel again
6/5/18 7:07 p.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

Why to height adjusters? Why not bolt chain directly to the deck? Put bolt head on blade side for clearance purposes. 

Or, more specifically, height adjuster *holes* because:

1. I’m lazy (errr “EFFICIENT!”)

C. Part of this exercise is about using crap found lying around on the property/only the skills of a 17th century blacksmith. So ideally a bunch of free crap zip-tied and duct-taped or chained together. (Kinda like our challenge cars.) 

Drilling holes with power tools would feel kinda dirty. And yes, I recognize the irony in that statement.

Trust me, the urge to run to Tractor Supply is strong, but at that point, I might as well buy a berkeleying tractor.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
6/5/18 7:11 p.m.

I only suggest fpr the sake of expediency. 

Lacksmit style requires hand peened rivets instead.

poopshovel again
6/5/18 8:00 p.m.

Uuuuuuh huhuhuuhuhuh. You said “peen.”

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/5/18 8:03 p.m.

In reply to poopshovel again :

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UberDork
6/5/18 9:27 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UberDork
6/6/18 6:18 a.m.
AngryCorvair said:

there is much Hong in that pic.   and much MURRICA.   pulling a single 20"-ish  mower with an 8 mpg (in this usage) truck just says POINT ONE PERCENT GLOBALLY, BITCHES!

Since the Landrover is being used in the capacity of farm equipment, and not transportation, the correct metric would be more like "liters per hectare" or something.  

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/6/18 8:57 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:
AngryCorvair said:

there is much Hong in that pic.   and much MURRICA.   pulling a single 20"-ish  mower with an 8 mpg (in this usage) truck just says POINT ONE PERCENT GLOBALLY, BITCHES!

Since the Landrover is being used in the capacity of farm equipment, and not transportation, the correct metric would be more like "liters per hectare" or something.  

Rods per hogshead. 8MPG is equivalent to about 161.3krd/hhd:

https://m.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=8mpg+in+rod%2Fhogshead

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UberDork
6/6/18 9:06 a.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

Holy E36 M3, that website is amazing.  How have I never heard of it before??

poopshovel again
6/6/18 5:03 p.m.

Funny. I actually used the exact words “liters per hectare” when my brother was trying to calculate how long it would take to mow the whole property (which we don’t plan on doing)

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/6/18 5:31 p.m.

Liters? Hectares? What is this, friggin Yurp or sumptin? Give me that in Freedom Units/'Murica, damnit!

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/7/18 12:38 p.m.

In reply to Furious_E :

I think he means "liters" as in "leeteruhcola", a standard American unit for volumuh Cola consumed.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
6/7/18 2:10 p.m.
Furious_E said:

Liters? Hectares? What is this, friggin Yurp or sumptin? Give me that in Freedom Units/'Murica, damnit!

exactly! how many 16 ounces (same as a can of Bud latte) of last years 87 octane gas per Kid Rock song are we talking here?

poopshovel again
6/7/18 3:46 p.m.
edizzle89 said:
Furious_E said:

exactly! how many 16 ounces (same as a can of Bud latte) of last years 87 octane gas per Kid Rock song are we talking here?

3 girth units per furlong.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/7/18 4:48 p.m.
poopshovel again said:
David S. Wallens said:

What's the worst that could happen? 

RIGHT!? Although...the temptation to set the cruise and ghost-ride for style points will be strong. Can you even set cruise at 5mph though?

If it's an auto.....

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/7/18 5:18 p.m.

I have a vision in my head that will allow you to take this concept to the next level.

Find a non running tractor with a three blade mower deck. Remove mower deck and discard tractor.

Weld a flat plate off the front center of the deck and mount a single large pivoting caster under it.

Remove the vertical shaft engine from your tiny existing mower and use it to drive the center blade. Drive the outer blades with pulleys and a belt.

You now have a wide, three blade stationary mower that you can drag behind your Land Rover.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
6/7/18 5:27 p.m.
Woody said:

I have a vision in my head that will allow you to take this concept to the next level.

Find a non running tractor with a three blade mower deck. Remove mower deck and discard tractor.

Weld a flat plate to the deck and mount a single large pivoting caster front and center on the deck.

Remove the vertical shaft engine from your tiny existing mower and use it to drive the center blade. Drive the outer blades with pulleys and a belt.

You now have a wide, three blade stationary mower that you can drag behind your Land Rover.

This is pure genius!

Keith Tanner
6/7/18 5:34 p.m.
Dusterbd13 said:
Woody said:

Weld a flat plate to the deck and mount a single large pivoting caster front and center on the deck.

This is pure genius!

I wonder if engine power will be a limitation? Too bad it's not a REAL Land Rover with a rear PTO. Maybe it needs nitrous, controlled by the driver. When you hear the engine bog down, you give it a shot of Daddy's Little Helper.

I'm thinking of something mentioned earlier. A solid axle from...a donor. Mount up a tow setup so that the pinion is facing straight down and attach a blade to it. Now the blade will spin as you drag the axle around. The faster you drive, the faster it spins and the better it cuts. You can put a Big Ass Blade on that thing, it only has to clear the inner sidewalls of the tires. Might want to pick something with a pretty tall final drive, there's doing to be some serious speed on the blade tips.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
6/7/18 5:38 p.m.

I have a 2.56 geard ford rear free for that. 

Keith Tanner
6/7/18 5:51 p.m.

Running math, you guys can check me on this.

One of the most popular tire sizes is a 215/70-15, so let's use that. About 775 rotations per mile. That means the pinion shaft will turn 1984 times per mile.

Let's assume our donor has about 55" between the sidewalls, so we'll take a 54" long blade. The circumference of this blade's arc is 169.6", so the tip of the blade will travel 336,577" per mile. Turn that into miles, and the tip of the blade goes 5.31 miles for each mile covered by the wheels.

If we tow this thing at 10 mph, the blade tips are only doing about 52 mph. Boooring. This IS a worst case, if we use a 4.11 we'll get 82 mph at the tips.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AArigU3fc7ZQ1gvGsf3R2ZOrOUpkI70DJrUqup2kfZmIg0B1G5Ldiq8ggNXYF0Kz