Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
11/26/18 7:58 p.m.

So I am sure I’m not alone in already being completely over the “special ”  days extending after Thanksgiving, whether it’s Black Friday, Cyber Monday or, yes, Giving Tuesday. But one of our own recently suffered a loss that is indescribable to me—you can read about it Here in this very modestly titled thread—and I would like to bump mtn’s request for donations in memory of his daughter.

His suggested charity in Angela’s memory is Ronald McDonald House, a top-rated charity that is there for families in some of the most difficult circumstances they can face. Here’s the link: Ronald McDonald House

Even if you don’t decide to contribute to this cause, I would urge you to consider spending some of that money earmarked for the season’s sales (even ours) on a charity that speaks to you.

Thank you, and forgive me if this comes off as preachy. I’m Lucy most of the year, but always skew a little Linus at the holidays.

Margie

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/26/18 10:29 p.m.

Thanks, Margie. I'm in, too. 

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
11/27/18 5:18 a.m.

I’m in, too. 

glueguy
glueguy GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/27/18 5:46 a.m.

Thanks for the reminder, Margie. 

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/27/18 1:04 p.m.

I was going to make a post regarding Giving Tuesday myself, but this one covers it quite nicely. I've seen firsthand (thankfully not in needing to use their services myself but through volunteering cooking meals there) how important the work they do is, and I wholly back donating to the Ronald McDonald House.

If you are feeling extra generous and feel like donating to another organization as well,  my wife's non-profit- Allegro Dance Project- is part of our local Giving Tuesday/Good Giving Week fundraiser which will be providing periodic matching funds throughout the next week to increase donations. Her non-profit brings free dance therapy classes in their schools to children with Down Syndrome, Autism Spectrum Disorder, and other specific needs, runs classes in partnership with the local Down Syndrome Association, and teaches an Adaptive Dance Class for those whose schools either don't participate or who want to dance even more throughout the year. The organization's own page is www.allegrodanceproject.org, and the donation page for the Good Giving Challenge is https://www.bggives.org/AllegroDanceProject.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
11/27/18 5:53 p.m.

Thank you everyone. It means a lot. 

Margie, funny that you should use the Lucy and Linus example. Our daughters nursery was Peanuts themed. My wife loves snoopy. 

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
11/27/18 6:29 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

That’s kind of cool and weird at the same time, because although I realized it was super apt after I wrote it, I’ve never used that analogy before.

Margie

paranoid_android
paranoid_android UltraDork
11/27/18 7:18 p.m.

Absolutely in

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
11/27/18 7:37 p.m.

Donated.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
11/29/18 10:47 a.m.

OK, a lighthearted story that I hope isn't out of place here follows: So I hadn't given to Ronald McDonald House yet as it was getting on in the day Tuesday. I decided to do it as I sat at the dining table after having put the kids to bed. I was in a hurry and not double checking everything, which coupled with using my phone to do it online makes for an error prone combo. My phone offered to scan my card to enter the number so I used that to save time. It worked a treat, but when I got my donation receipt, it was written to "CASH REWARDS Culberson." I guess my phone must have picked up the text at the top of the card as my name.

I was just going to leave it, but realized mtn and his family might see it in a list of donors and I didn't want it to seem trashy. Thankfully RMH got back to me right away and corrected it. The person had a good sense of humor about it too, and suggested the name had a good ring to it and maybe I should consider it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vyJZ2D97ozKHwxnkIa2HiEFxxDs4irSH8Fi6Uj46kbQRCgXmb3KVBfNR2XsTg2JJ