1 2 3
neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
7/12/12 9:56 a.m.

I see this book as Sachilles does, a joke for parents to enjoy, and not to be read to children.

Beyond that, I'm staying out of the argument over moral decay, profanity and breeders.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
7/12/12 10:04 a.m.

dupe.

z31maniac
z31maniac UberDork
7/12/12 10:04 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote: You already answered this. A chuckle. Does any reading material need to offer more than that? We're DINK's. We decided to not be another Breeder and pop out kids that we didn't want to satisfty society's need for everyone to be "normal". We don't have to deal with the typical Breeder bullE36 M3 and the "Im a better parent than you" crap. We get to enjoy our lives. So we THOROUGHLY enjoy things like this video. It's funny. It's comical. It gives me a smile. I'm guessing this all makes me a horrible, terrible human being yadda yadda yadda. But guess what? I have exactly zero chits to give.

I would like to buy you a beer.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
7/12/12 10:06 a.m.
z31maniac wrote:
Bobzilla wrote: You already answered this. A chuckle. Does any reading material need to offer more than that? We're DINK's. We decided to not be another Breeder and pop out kids that we didn't want to satisfty society's need for everyone to be "normal". We don't have to deal with the typical Breeder bullE36 M3 and the "Im a better parent than you" crap. We get to enjoy our lives. So we THOROUGHLY enjoy things like this video. It's funny. It's comical. It gives me a smile. I'm guessing this all makes me a horrible, terrible human being yadda yadda yadda. But guess what? I have exactly zero chits to give.
I would like to buy you a beer. I could use one.
bastomatic
bastomatic Dork
7/12/12 10:07 a.m.

If that book offends you, better steer clear of Louis C.K.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
7/12/12 10:40 a.m.
1988RedT2 wrote:
4cylndrfury wrote:
1988RedT2 wrote: In reply to 93EXCivic: Dead serious. As a parent raising two boys who are excelling at school and active in scouting and sports, I am amazed at the frequency with which parents swear around their small children. Sad truth is that decency and civility are dead in this country, and we haven't even the self-respect to curtail our foul language in front of our children.
I couldn't love GRM the magazine or the website more, and believe me, I don't like to be the P.C police or anything or the guy who has a problem with everything thing, but I do have a problem with this... I find it a bit offensive that you use terms like “Children" and "excelling" for your little offspring or whatever in the discussions. I myself am not a parent, but I feel sensitivity for people with who are, as I am a student living among them, and my nephew is pursuing his masters in the field. This "Decency" thing you speak of, although I'm pretty sure is not even a real trait, is obviously meant to resemble the words used to describe people with impaired common-sense, and it appears that you are using it on this board in a joking sense which, as I view it, makes light of people who liked snakes on a plane.
I'm sorry, you have a problem with what exactly? People who object to those who choose to swear around young children? I bring up my children's "excelling" to validate my performance as a parent and to separate myself from those parents whose role consists entirely of being part of a baby factory. I fully understand your difficulty with the word "decency" as it is a concept quite foreign among today's youth. To quote Websters: a : the quality or state of being decent : propriety b : conformity to standards of taste, propriety, or quality

Um....sacasm tags would be nice....I know you've been here long enough to know that 4cylndrfury's paragraph is a GRM joke meme

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltraDork
7/12/12 11:15 a.m.
JoeyM wrote: Um....sacasm tags would be nice....I know you've been here long enough to know that 4cylndrfury's paragraph is a GRM joke meme

Wow. First I've seen that. Thanks for enlightening me!

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/12/12 11:19 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote: This. Some people can't take a joke. They are super serial all the time. They usually have high blood pressure and stress related illnesses. I have neither.

C4.

Did your blood pressure go up?!?

Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
7/12/12 11:26 a.m.

Oh my goodness, why would anyone think this was meant to be read to children? It's for sleep-derived, exhausted parents who only want a bit of a laugh – many of my friends with young ones have gotten a kick out of this book.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/12/12 11:33 a.m.

When my wife and I heard it read for the first time we were rolling. Not for kids but very funny.

Conquest351
Conquest351 Dork
7/12/12 11:54 a.m.

I'm buying this book for my wife. I'm sure we'll read it to Kourtlyn when she's older just for a laugh, but that'll be when she's like 20. LOL

Samuel L Jackson is the PERFECT choice for the narrator though.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
7/12/12 12:14 p.m.
Javelin wrote:
Bobzilla wrote: This. Some people can't take a joke. They are super serial all the time. They usually have high blood pressure and stress related illnesses. I have neither.
C4. Did your blood pressure go up?!?

Nope! I'm letting someone ELSE work on it! I'm all peaches and cream right now.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/12/12 12:23 p.m.

my first word was E36 M3 (no, not the car, I am older than the first M car). According to my mom, I even used it correctly. I was supposedly sitting in my highchair eating cherios when I pushed the bowl off of the edge to the floor. From what she told me.. I inched up to look down at the bowl and mess I made.. then looked right at my mom and said the magic word.

It was then that she realised she used her favourite word far too much

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UberDork
7/12/12 12:38 p.m.

I thought it was funny when I first heard it...a year ago.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade SuperDork
7/12/12 12:42 p.m.

I didn't think it was that amusing the first time I heard it last year.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
7/12/12 12:53 p.m.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
7/12/12 12:54 p.m.

It's better read by Christopher Walken.

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox SuperDork
7/12/12 1:00 p.m.

I swear we had a thread nearly identical to this one, maybe a year ago. But not the breeder diatribe. That was bizarre.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden Dork
7/12/12 1:02 p.m.

<

Okay, I'm getting off my high horse now. Think I'll read some William S. Burroughs to my kids.

If they do not enjoy Burroughs they might enjoy Ham on Rye by Charles Bukowski.

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
7/12/12 1:24 p.m.

Yea, WSB was a real icon of decency, a junky poet version of Norman Rockwell, if you will.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDR9zULPcFk

Powar
Powar Dork
7/12/12 2:39 p.m.
pilotbraden wrote: Charles Bukowski.

Yes.

Read some of his poetry to the children. They'll love it.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/12/12 3:19 p.m.

I've got 4 kids. One girl who is 20 and three boys at 24, 13, and 9. I've even got a couple of grand kids. So parenting is something I'm fairly familiar with.

If you are a parent and didn't laugh your ass off the first time you heard SLJ read this book, I'd hate to be one of your kids. Boot camp comes to mind.

I wouldn't buy a copy, I wouldn't give it to my wife or any parent I know, I think it's in poor taste, but I did laugh out loud. So did my wife when I played it for her.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
7/12/12 3:55 p.m.

I have a kid. I can't begin to fathom how many times i've muttered "Just go the berkeley to sleep" under my breath at 2am. That is all.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance Dork
7/12/12 4:02 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: I couldn't love GRM the magazine or the website more...

Where is the original thread this was used in? Can someone link it?

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
7/12/12 4:29 p.m.

I've been unsuccessful finding it myself. I know it was regarding the use of the word tard or retard in jest

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QQ8QUx9u6UKaYvxYxdZsHiinT2SFCwPNJir0pH68jm4i0iiJYQQdkffx8cd1LEgp