1 2 3 4
Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
8/19/09 10:00 a.m.

As something of a follow-up to the "Do you cook?" thread, which had a couple of excellent recipes buried in it, I wanted to ask you all about your favorites.

I don't want the fancy favorite-thing-stuffed-with-your-second-favorite-thing concoctions here; I'm looking for your most-used old reliables--the things that get dinner on the table to feed a hungry family.

I have a niece who believes she doesn't have time to cook after work and doesn't think anything easy and quick can be tasty, and I promised to send her some of my regular recipes, but I bet you all have more. Whether it's Miatas or meatloaf, if there's a group of more resourceful problem-solvers than you all on the internets, I would be surprised.

So... please share.

Margie

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
8/19/09 10:18 a.m.

I have two specialties - Grilled Cheese and Mashed Potatoes. Weak, I know, but there it is.

The key to the perfect Grilled Cheese is to let the bread soak up some butter prior to assembling the sandwich. Melt butter in pan, throw two pieces of bread in for 15 seconds to sop it up, and then remove them. Then assemble the sandwich. Hard to beat good old Kraft Singles, but there is something "right" about a Velveta grilled cheese. Anywho, assemble the sandwiches buttered side in. More butter in the pan, then cook as normal. Not sure how there can be "good" and "bad" grilled cheese, but mine are the best.

Mashed Potatoes - these work on the "more ingrediants = better" theory. butter, sour cream, garlic, cheese, milk, pepper, ranch dressing, and whatever else is sitting in the fridge door that looks tasty. I've never made them the same way twice, but everytime I make them I get oohs and aahs.

aeronca65t
aeronca65t HalfDork
8/19/09 10:21 a.m.

From my bachelor days, here are some that only require the child-level skills that I have......

Breakfast:

Break egg into styrofoam cup. Add a little water (or milk) Stir. Microwave for 2 minutes (depends on micowave, so experiment at first). Dump out "scrambled eggs" onto toast and throw cup away. Add salt, pepper, ketsup or whatever. (if you use a paper plate, this is super-easy clean-up)

Lunch:

Everyone knows how to make grilled cheese, right? Try adding tomatoe slice and golden mustard to it. It tastes completely different. A great way to add something "new" with no real effort (I had my doubts at first, but now I'm a convert)

Supper:

Brown some ground beef in frying pan. Drain off grease. Add ~Manwhich~ and heat for while. Put on hamburger rolls. If you hide Manwhich can, you can pretend this is uncle Tonoose's recipe from the Old Country.

bludroptop
bludroptop Dork
8/19/09 10:31 a.m.

Here are a couple that are regulars in our rotation and take less than a half hour from start to finish:

Chicken Quesadillas

Diced leftover chicken, shredded cheese, chopped onions and peppers or what have you. Sandwich mixture between two flour tortillas - brown lightly in a tablespoon of oil on non-stick surface, turning once. Serve with refried beans, rice and salsa.

Tortellini with Pesto

Make pesto in advance and freeze until needed or buy a jar. Boil pasta for 6 minutes, toss with sauce, sprinkle with Parm. cheese and serve with tossed salad or green vegetable and nice bread.

Asian noodles with Peanut Sauce

Same as above using spagetti and jar of peanut sauce from your favorite Asian grocery. Garnish with chopped green onions and/or snow peas. Splurge and get some frozen egg rolls, too.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp Dork
8/19/09 10:34 a.m.

The beef stew I mentioned in the other thread is dead simple, tastes great and can be made on a tight budget. Your actual labor is less than 10 minutes and the whole thing only takes 45-60 minutes to complete cooking. Oh and white wine can be substituted for the Sake if you don't have any on hand.

Again another one that only takes a little prep and just toss it in the oven is shepherds/cottage pie. Works great with leftovers, whatever meat you have on hand chopped up, toss in veggies, cook it all in a pan for a few minutes then dump it in a casserole top with mashed taters (instant idahoans work well) then some shredded cheese on top, throw it in the oven. I make a much more complex version normally but it can be made very simply and quickly.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/19/09 10:42 a.m.

Here's a bachelor classic that I came up with that is easy, looks and tastes great and gives your date the mistaken impression that you know how to cook.

Get a pound of cooked, shelled shrimp, a box of rice and a good sized jar of mild or medium salsa.

Boil up the rice. Drop the cooked shrimp into separate pot of boiling water for about a minute or so (long enough to heat it up, but not long enough to turn them into rubber). Drain the shrimp, dump them in with the rice and the entire jar of salsa (kept at room temperature) and stir it up.

Takes less than 10 minutes total and looks like something Emeril whipped up.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
8/19/09 10:42 a.m.

Sausage Ragout.

Parboiled Italian sausage cut in 1" lingths. Saute' in olive oil with peppers, onions, garlic and fresh basil. When it's almost aldante add halved cherry tomatoes. Stir until tomatoes are very warm.

Serve with or without pasta.

Tobasco Bread

one stick butter, one tsp tobasco. Melt together and pour over Italian or French bread. Sprinkle grated parmesian on top and broil until brown.

Garlic Bread

Same as above, but chop some garlic into the butter and let them "meld" a bit. Chopped parsley breaks it up a bit.

Single Guy Stew One pound ground beef, cooked and drained. One #3 can of irish potatoes One #3 can pork 'n beans.

No spices, we're men.

Bar-B-Que 1 cup vinegar 1/2 cup oil 1 egg beaten 2 tsp Poultry Seasoning

Mix together and put over chicken on the Barbie.

More Chicken? Arrange chix tits on a cookie sheet, sprinkle dill, pepper and lemon juice over it. Cook 350 til it looks happy.

Easy enough to make, great on damp days.

Taco Soup

1 ¾ pounds ground chuck 1 large yellow onion, chopped 2 cloves garlic, chopped Two 14.5 ounce cans diced tomatoes, with juice One 15 to 16 ounce can kidney beans, drained One 15 to 16 ounce can pinto beans, drained One 15 to 16 ounce can black beans, drained One 15.25 ounce can whole kernel corn, drained One 14.5 ounce can chicken broth One 1.25 ounce package taco seasoning mix ½ cup half and half ½ teaspoon salt ¼ teaspoon pepper One 10.75 ounce can condensed cream of celery soup ¼ cup chopped red pepper

1. In a large Dutch Oven, cook the beef, onion and garlic over medium – high heat until browned, stirring until the meat crumbles. Drain well and return the meat and vegetables to the Dutch oven.

2. Stir in tomatoes, beans, corn, broth and seasoning mix. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and summer uncovered for 30 minutes.

JFX001
JFX001 Dork
8/19/09 10:44 a.m.

I second the Manwich.Add a slice of cheese.

Tacos, Old El Paso Kit or you can keep the shells for later, let the meat cool and add a salad with Thousand Island dressing for Taco.....wait for it....Salad. Add crushed Dorito's if you like.

Hamburger Helper.Different flavors,different nights.It's a festival.

Any one of the frozen Stir-Fry vegetables...just cook the Chicken or whatever.

Chili.

Anything in a crock pot.

The George Foreman Grill does great with all types of sandwiches.My favorite this week being a smoked Turkey with pepperjack.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant Reader
8/19/09 10:46 a.m.

Cowboy Casserole: 1 lb ground beef or breakfast sausage or diced smoked sausage. 1 can Rotel, as spicy as the crowd will stand. 1 can Ranch-Style beans. 1 onion, diced. 1 package Mexican-style cornbread mix. 1 egg Water/milk for cornbread mix. 1/2 lb shredded sharp cheddar cheese (better yet, Chipotle cheddar)

Brown the meat. Put in casserole dish. Sweat the onions. Add to the meat. Empty the cans into the meat, stir.

Mix the cornbread per instructions. Add half the cheese. Pour over the top.

Put in oven at 350F. Cook until the cornbread is starting to brown. Add the rest of the cheese. Cook until it starts to brown.

Serve warm.

S2Fella
S2Fella New Reader
8/19/09 10:51 a.m.

Spaghetti Carbonara

I have this once a week and you can make it in the time it takes for the spaghetti to cook - so about 15 minutes start to finish. Serves 2.

Put 8 oz of Spaghetti (half a packet) in a pan of boiling water. Fry up 5 or 6 bacon rashers, cut into pieces. In a bowl, whisk 2 eggs, some salt and pepper and some Parmiagiano Reggiano (it's worth buying the real Italian stuff - I get it from Costco). Add the bacon when it's cooked and crispy, and a dollop of heavy cream if you have it.

When spaghetti is cooked drain the water off and add the bowl of egg/bacon/cheese mixture. Stir until the egg sets a little (should just need the heat of the pan, but you can put it over the burner to speed it up a bit)

slantvaliant
slantvaliant Reader
8/19/09 10:56 a.m.

Chicken Lyndal

1 lb smoked sausage - I prefer Andouille.

1 chicken

1 can chicken broth.

Dice and brown the sausage. Wash the chicken. Get rid of chicken parts you don't like. Put the chicken in the crockpot. Pour the chicken broth over the chicken. Dump the sausage over the chicken.

Put the crockpot on low. Don't forget the lid. Cook 4-8 hours, or until you get home.

Optional: Add a can of Rotel before cooking.

Or add a diced onion, a diced bell pepper, and a couple of stalks of celery (yes, diced) before cooking. The "trinity" mix is available frozen, making it really easy.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant Reader
8/19/09 11:04 a.m.

Ramen-Beef

1 lb beef or breakfast sausage or whatever's in the fridge and not funny-smelling or fuzzy.

1 pkg ramen noodles (beef, chicken, doesn't matter much)

1/2 package frozen mixed vegetables.

2 cups water.

Seasoning to taste.

Brown the meat if necessary. Add and heat the vegetables. Break up the ramen noodles, add to the meat and vegetables. Add the flavoring packet, too. Add some cajun seasoning. Mix in 2 cups water. Bring to boil, cook until noodles are done.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
8/19/09 11:34 a.m.

Left over chicken?

Cut into 3/8" cubes, add a bunch of Curry Powder, make everything yellow. Add chopped walnuts, raisins and mayo.

Or...

Add dried cranberries, chopped walnuts and mayo.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
8/19/09 11:39 a.m.

Quick and very cheap. Mini-pizzas. Take canned biscuits and use a rolling pin to squish them out to about palm sized (throw some flour on your cutting board). Slather with ketchup, and pile on grated parmesan cheese, plus whatever toppings you prefer. I've used diced hot dogs, balogna, pepperoni, sliced ham, crumbled sausage, ground beef, onions, bell peppers, mushrooms, etc. Bake 12-15 minutes @ about 400 degrees. Not so much a meal as a snack. I can make 10 of these for under 3 bucks. Bachelor food for sure.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
8/19/09 12:12 p.m.

This one isn't "quick" per se because of the cooking times...but it's easy and there's a lot of aftermarket support:

Squash casserole.

*I cook a butternut squash (but any winter squash could work) for about 45 minutes or an hour...enough that it's easy to peel. This can be done the day before. Or you can cook it while you're getting ready for work and just turn off the oven...it won't go bad sitting in the oven all day. Let it cool and then peel it, take out the seeds, and cut it up into bite size chunks or so.

*Sautee and onion with some spices and olive oil (tyme, rosemary, whatever strikes your fancy) add a couple cloves of garlic for the last couple of minutes of the sauteeing.

*When that's ready, just pour 4+ cups of fluid (broth or water or whatever) into the pot/pan with the onion and spices. Then two cups of rice.

*Pour that into a cassrole dish and put in the Squash. I've taken to putting chicken leg quarters in the casserole too and it's good.

*Cook it in the oven at whatever temperature strikes your fancy until the rice soaks up the water and you're good to go. Works well for potlucks and such too.

Clem

Clem

alex
alex HalfDork
8/19/09 12:16 p.m.

Some of the best easy/cheap food comes from the poor folks of the world. Lately I've been taking my cues from the American South. (With the exception of the first recipe, which is just too easy not to include.)

We'll start with some sides, then move into a couple easy mains.

Roasted Potatoes:
- Cube some red potatoes, skin on (roughly even pieces are key, about 1/2" cubed is ideal.)
- toss with olive oil, generous salt and pepper; fresh rosemary or thyme (chopped fine) optional
- roast at 400-500 (anywhere in there is fine) until golden and cooked through

Greens:
- Wash thoroughly and cut into 1"-2" strips a lot of leafy greens: kale, chard, mustard greens, turnip greens - any combination is great. Plan on about 1 bunch of greens per person, they cook way down.
- Throw 'em into a pot big enough to hold them all. Add a little salt, generous pepper, maybe some red pepper.
- (Before that last step, you could sweat a little onion in the pot, if you're feeling fancy.)
- Cook, covered, over med low heat for a while, stirring frequently so all the greens wilt, and start to tenderize a bit.
- Once the greens are close to being tender enough to eat, uncover the pot to let some liquid cook off.
- Serve with a splash of cider vinegar

Polenta Or Grits, Depending On How Fancy You Want To Sound:
- Use a 4:1 water to corn meal ratio. Up to half of the water can be substituted by chicken stock, milk, cream or buttermilk, or any combination thereof.
- In a dry pot, over medium heat, toast the cornmeal, stirring or tossing frequently, until aromatic
- Add liquid (carefully, it'll pop and spit), stir vigorously to thoroughly combine, bring to a boil, reduce heat to barely a simmer. Cover and cook until about the consistency of a loose oatmeal, maybe 10-20 minutes.
- Safety/cleanup note: when the polenta/grits mixture boils it will do so in the fashion of a swamp in a fantasy movie: big bubbles that are slow to rise, then burst dramatically sending hot grits all over everything around the pot, like the stove, other pots, the counter, your arms, or tender feets if you cook barefoot. Best to keep it at a very low boil, or covered if it's boiling too rapidly. Not a big deal, but worth noting. (Also worth noting: Al Green's pissed off wife/girlfriend, when she found out he was cheating on her, threw a pot of hot grits on him while he was in the shower. So, it's especially dangerous to cook grits if you're a cheating soul crooner.)
- When the polenta/grits reaches the desired consistency (which is a personal call; some like it soupy, some like it a little thicker), correct the consistency with more milk/cream/buttermilk, add a knob (abt 2 Tbsp) of butter, and correct the seasoning with salt and pepper. You could also toss in a handful of fresh (or frozen) corn, and some parmigiano reggiano is always nice.

Foolproof Rice:
- Don't laugh. Consistently screwing up rice is the secret shame of many pro chefs.
- Use a 2:1 water to rice ratio.
- In an oven safe pot, toast rice in a touch of butter until it becomes fragrant. Add water (carefully - it will sizzle and spit), stir, bring to rolling boil.
- Stick on a tight fitting lid (a loose fitting lid can be made tight by putting a sheet of aluminum foil over the pot first, then firmly pressing the lid in place), chuck it into a 350-ish degree oven. Check it at about 15-20 min.

Braised Meat Is Really Easy:
- Get a good sized hunk o' red meat (beef, pork, lamb, goat, etc; bone, no bone, doesn't matter) anywhere from 2 - 6 lbs. Season meat generously with salt and pepper on all sides. Additional spices like ground red pepper, cumin, paprika, etc are optional here.
- In the heaviest pot available, heat vegetable oil until almost smoking. That's real hot. That's important. Brown the meat on all sides. Really brown. Don't be scared, you're not burning it.
- Once the neat is thoroughly brown, remove to a plate and set aside. Reduce heat slightly.
- Sweat some aromatics in the same pan, scraping the fond (lovely brown bits) off the bottom of the pot. This could be carrots/onion/celery, could be a combination of mild chili peppers and bell peppers, could be any combination thereof. If you'd like some root veg (potatoes, sweet potatoes, parsnip, turnip, rutabaga, etc) for a proper stew, now's the time to add them. Throw in the garlic (everybody likes garlic) at the very end of cooking the veg, so it doesn't burn and turn bitter.
- Return the meat to the pan.
- Add enough liquid to cover the meat about halfway up the sides. This could be water, stock/broth, beer, or wine, or any combination thereof, depending on your meat/veg combination. This would be the time to add whole stalks of herbs. Thyme is pretty safe, rosemary is a little more pronounced. Bring to a light boil.
- Whack it into the oven. The temperature depends on how long you have to cook it. This is something you could do over night, or start in the morning to eat at dinner. If it's going to cook for more than, say 4 hours, set the oven to about 250. If you'd like to "rush" it, set the oven to about 450, and the meat should be tender in 2-4 hours, depending on the size and the cut. I like the overnight method.
- When the meat is tender, and you're preparing to serve, remove the meat from the pan and set aside. If you used root veg, pull those out, too. Set the pot over med high heat, and reduce the pan sauce by about half. Correct with salt and pepper if necessary. For bonus points, if appropriate for the recipe, blend the pan sauce to a smooth consistency. Finish with a knob of butter (abt 2 Tbsp) off the heat. Return meat and root veg to the pan to warm, or slice/shred meat to serve with sauce on the side.

Hocks 'n' Beans:
- Use the basic braising method laid out above (brown, sweat, boil liquid, cook til tender)
- Brown about 6 smoked ham hocks in a little oil in a very hot pot, set aside
- Sweat half and onion, 2 bell peppers in the pot, add a bunch of garlic near the end.
- Add 1# of beans (unsoaked!)
- Return hocks to pan, add liquid (water and/or chix stock) to cover hocks, bring to a boil
- Cook it in a low oven for a real long time
- When you can't stand it any more, pull out the hocks and separate the meat from the bones, chunk up the meat into manageable hunks, and discard any unseemly fat/skin
- Return meat to pot. Serve.

That oughta keep you busy for a while.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
8/19/09 12:18 p.m.

Biscuits and gravy!

It's been a long time (my 6 Y.O. has wheat allergy and just started doing dairy very recently...)

Biscuits...come up with them however you might, I don't really care...they're just a vessel for the artery clogging goodness that follows:

Cook up a pound of good pork sausage.
Throw several tablespoons of flour into the pan when the sausage is cooked. Stirr it up well.
Flood the pan with milk and stirr it constantly until it thickens up.
Add seasoning of choice in there somewhere...
Spend the rest of the day knowing you can now die a complete being, having experienced that gravy.

Clem

Kramer
Kramer HalfDork
8/19/09 12:21 p.m.

I'm in a hurry, so I'll do the cliff-notes version:

Pork roast in the crock pot, with onions, bbq sauce and lots of chili powder (and something else). Start in the morning, have pulled pork for sandwiches when you get home. Buy pork when on sale, and it's pretty cheap.

Add macaroni and cheese and cole slaw for a decent, quick meal. With leftovers for lunch the next few days.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
8/19/09 12:25 p.m.

GLOP

• 1 lb ground beef
  • 1 lb macaroni of choice (shells, elbows, penne, whatever), cooked and drained
  • 1 lb cheddar cheese, cubed
  • 2 cans tomato soup
  • 1 small can tomato paste
  • 1 can sliced mushrooms
  • 1 green pepper
  • 1 onion
  • Worcestershire sauce to taste

Cut up pepper and onion into largish chunks (1/2" to 3/4") and saute in a skillet with a little oil. As they start to cook add ground beef to brown. Once beef is browned, drain fat.

In a large roasting pan, combine all other ingredients with cooked pasta and stir well. Reserve about 1/4 of the cheese to scatter over the top. Place in 350deg oven and bake uncovered for 30 minutes or until the top looks browned. Delicious!

This makes enough for a family of 4 for dinner with enough leftovers for several lunches or maybe even another dinner. The leftovers freeze very well and reheat in the microwave or oven with no loss of quality. You can even cut the vegetables/cheese and cook the pasta the night before, then just do the sauteing, assembly, and baking when you get home.

HUMMUS

• 2 cans chick peas/garbanzos - drain 1 can, leave liquid in other
  • 3 Tbsp tahini (like sesame seed peanut butter, easy to find and keeps forever)
  • 2-4 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 2-3 Tbsp olive oil
  • Crushed red pepper to taste
  • Salt to taste

Throw everything in the food processor and blend until mostly smooth. Taste and adjust garlic, salt, and red pepper. This part takes about 10 minutes tops and can be done several days in advance. Put in the fridge while you prepare the accessories:

Miscellaneous fresh vegetables: cucumber, onion, tomato, green or black olives, peppercinis or jalapenos, anything/everything you have on hand

Miscellaneous other stuff: feta cheese, romano/parmesan cheese, shelled pistachios, dried cranberries and apricots, experiment a bit

Chop the accessories into small chunks and place in individual serving bowls or on a tray. This can also be done ahead of time with all but the tomatoes, really.

Pitas/flatbreads: we love the brand they sell in bulk at BJs; wrap them in smaller packs and freeze

Take 1-2 pitas per person and spread on cookie sheet(s). Brush lightly with garlic oil or olive oil and grate some romano/parmesan over them, then dust with paprika. Place on the top rack in the oven and broil for a few minutes until lightly browned (does not take long so keep an eye on them). Remove from oven and cut into wedges. Serve in a basket or bowl.

This is a great family style meal that is cheap, easy, delicious, and nutritious. Take a pita wedge and a dollop of hummus, then add a mix of the accessories on top. The flavor combinations can be amazing. I actually just finished lunch and yet my mouth is watering thinking about it.

If you have the kids helping chop the toppings or organize them into dishes, you can have the whole hummus meal on the table in 30 minutes.

Jay
Jay Dork
8/19/09 12:50 p.m.

Nasi Goreng (Indonesian fried rice)

...learned at the knee of my Indonesian grandmother, may she rest in peace.

Every Indonesian or descendant from an Indonesian has their own recipe, including me. Make your own! It's fun!

This will feed 2-4 people as a main dish. Easy to scale the recipe and feed more. Warning: you need a BIG pot. Seriously.

Cook two cups of white rice and set aside. The type of rice isn't really important - long grain works fine, Thai jasmine rice is my favourite. Basmati can be a bit dry & Japanese-style sticky rice will need too much oil to sautee. The rice can cool or not, it doesn't matter. My Grandmother used to use rice that she'd made in the morning and put in the fridge.

Chop up a whole red onion and some veggies: real hot peppers, green or red pepper, carrots, bok choi, shiitake mushrooms, green beans, bean sprouts, whatever. You could also add frozen peas & corn (defrost first by running them in hot water), celery, chunks of pineapple... Find a combination that works.
If you're a meatitarian you've got some options here: shrimps, chicken, ham (this is what the Dutch do - you won't find it in Muslim Indonesia), whole squid tentacles (I accidentally ordered that once - yikes!), beef, whatever. The meat should be in small cubes or bits - if it will take more than a few minutes to cook then pre-cook it a bit.

I usually have some minced garlic & minced ginger in oil in the fridge. Any supermarket should sell these. Otherwise use fresh stuff.

Break two eggs into a cup, add like a tsp of water and a tsp of brown sugar (seriously), and stir them up.

Take your wok or a big pot and put it on the heat. Let it get nice and hot. Put in a few tbsp of oil. I like to use half olive oil and half sesame oil (the dark stuff that Chinese grocers sell - it adds a lot of flavour.) Add the garlic & ginger, then the onions, then the meat, then the rest of the veggies. Fry until things are starting to get sear marks.

While that's going, start adding spices! This is the fun part. I usually do Chinese 5-spice, cumin, teriyaki sauce, ketjap asin (Indonesian soy sauce), a bit of ketjap manis (Indonesian sweet soy sauce), sambal oolek, bit of tumeric, some cayenne pepper, crushed chili seeds, etc. There's no one way to do it. It will make your life easier to put a whole bunch of spices into a bowl beforehand and mix them together, then you can just keep adding from the bowl as the food is cooking. (You can also buy simple nasi goreng spice mix at a lot of Asian grocers. Some of them are pretty good. Follow the directions on the package if you go that route.)

When all the veggies/meat are done, shove them over to the side of the pot and pour in your eggs. Scramble the eggs until just done. Then add the rice (all of it) and stir it all together. You'll probably want to back down the heat a bit at this stage but keep stirring and frying. You'll need to add a bit more oil if the rice is clumpy or sticky but don't overdo it.

Let that go another another few minutes until everything is mixed. Keep adding spices. The rice should be somewhat yellow or brown when you're done.

Take off the heat and serve piping hot, with extra hot sauce (sambal), ketjap/soy sauce, and kroupouk (prawn chips) or tortilla chips. It's perfectly acceptable when eating to scoop rice up onto a chip and eat the chip.

If you want a side salad, some sliced cucumber and tomatoes in a bit of Oriental-style dressing goes great (and is pretty common in Indonesia.)

Jay
Jay Dork
8/19/09 12:53 p.m.

I just wanted to comment that that looks like a really long and involved recipe, but it really only takes about 45 minutes from start to serving. The longest step is actually steaming the rice.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette Reader
8/19/09 1:13 p.m.

Get the 3 chix breast pak , put chix breast one at a time in grocery plastic sack and flatten with edge of pan or meat hammer . turn on stove top to 7 and use flat pan ad little olive oil and montreal season right to the pan maybe garlic salt /pepper . add flattened chix breast , season top side montreal , cook till nice blacken don,t burn flip turn down heat cover with lid . Make salad while chix is cooking ,, micro water for instant mashed potatoes . >>>> gravy <<When chix is done add drippings 2 to 3 tablespoons and flour 2 to 3 tables spoons equal parts and cook making a rue ad little water salt peper to taste . 25 minutes total time $8 dollars at the house $25 at restauraunt

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
8/19/09 1:14 p.m.

I have to cook after my hour and 20 minute commute, I've become the king of low effort cooking. Unfortunately most of it is throw together with no real sense of a recepie but here's one documented one below that I got from my ex and use regularly

Chicken Godwin

Take boneless chix breats, place in baking dish Top with swiss cheese In a bowl mix 1-2 cups (depending on what you need) of stove top stuffing mix and a can of cream of chicken soup with about 1/4 cup milk. Spread mixture over chicken, cover and bake a 350 for 50 minutes. Done

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
8/19/09 1:30 p.m.

Pot Roast:

• Season and sear roast in skillet, place in crock-pot.

• Add quartered potatoes and baby carrots.

• Add 1 can of beef broth, and 1 can of cream of mushroom soup.

• Set on low all day.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
8/19/09 1:36 p.m.

Another cheap and easy: green bean casserole.

Stove Top stuffing on the bottom, green beans on that. Cream of mushroom mixed in, and covered with grated cheese. Bake for a while. Top with fried onion rings (get the name brand, the generic sucks).

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
skCK3nheXS1By0mdikus98cG0TRXdGKd7GGyn8XrUCwuYvrFBR7es7Kb500r5MWW