alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/24/17 6:40 p.m.

I need an ad blocker for Chrome.

And not for this site- there's an ad on a hockey site that constantly is interrupting my typing. Driving me nuts.

Up until now, I was ok seeing the ads there, too. But this is just too much.

monknomo
monknomo Reader
3/24/17 6:42 p.m.

Adblock Plus and Ghostery work for me

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
3/24/17 7:04 p.m.
monknomo wrote: Adblock Plus and Ghostery work for me

Ik oak. I mean, Me too.

The0retical
The0retical Dork
3/24/17 8:22 p.m.

There's a fork of AdBlock plus called ublock origin (mu block but I don't know where mu is on my phones keyboard).

It's quite a bit less resource intensive and doesn't have the pay to play ad scheme ABP does.

Coupled with HTTPS everywhere from the EFF and disconnect.me (free) I don't worry about much.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
3/24/17 8:33 p.m.

uBlock Origin works for me, even kills youtube ads.

Wxdude10
Wxdude10 Reader
3/24/17 9:28 p.m.

Second for ublock. It is awesome and very lightweight. Highly recommend it.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
3/24/17 10:26 p.m.

UBlock origins is the best.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/25/17 7:16 a.m.

Thanks, all!

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/25/17 7:44 a.m.

Quick update- I put Adblock AND Ublock- so far, Ublock is winning 6-2 in blocks.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/25/17 8:34 a.m.

Just in case you're also looking for a mobile solution, adguard has been wonderful on android. Free version does websites, premium does apps as well.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
3/25/17 8:34 a.m.

The issue with Adblock plus is that it gradually uses more and more memory until your web browser is literally used gigabytes of memory and so ends up running very slowly. Ublock does not.

Jay
Jay UltraDork
3/25/17 2:25 p.m.

I just run a hosts file. No software to install or hog memory and acts on the whole system rather than just a single browser, so has a fair shot at blocking some types of malware that are out there. (Not 100% foolproof against malware though.)

Disadvantage: you won't be able to "whitelist" sites without doing a bunch of work. Corollary: don't visit sites that demand you "whitelist" them.

(For those of you about to chide me for "stealing" from websites, my bandwidth is metered and I pay for overages. Ads that force themselves down my pipe are stealing from me.)

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/25/17 2:47 p.m.
Jay wrote: I just run a hosts file. Easy & works on everything you have installed equally. Disadvantage: you won't be able to "whitelist" sites without doing a bunch of work. Corollary: don't visit sites that demand you "whitelist" them. For those of you about to chide me for "stealing" from websites, my bandwidth is metered and I pay for overages. Ads that force themselves down my pipe are stealing from *me.*

Well, the hockey board seemed to get some ad company to put really obnoxious ads that took a lot of band width, change all the time, and make posting impossible.

I've been a member for over a decade seeing the ads, so it's not like I am just blocking them for the sake of not seeing them.

Hal
Hal UltraDork
3/25/17 2:52 p.m.
dculberson wrote: UBlock origins is the best.

4th or 5th this one. Have one very relevant to me car site that the ads loaded so slow that the browser would time out. UBlock origins took care of the problem.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oiYu8wm3x9Dzd8loKLNS2jUnFu31WivtTZ6V0xpc8H7c9NPG9muTHysE2TbDVSSD