mmosbey Reader
Oct. 3, 2011 8:39 p.m.

Mercedes diesel-powered Discovery with a stick.

I'm not sure what to think. I think I like it, but I think I'm a little afraid too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?item=280748345095

EvanB SuperDork
Oct. 3, 2011 8:51 p.m.

Fantastic idea. I would love to have that.

Sonic Dork
Oct. 3, 2011 9:12 p.m.

I can't even imagine how slow that is. That motor is a dog in a 300d, let alone with a much bigger, heavier vehicle around it. My DiscoII is pretty slow with the V8. I suppose it would be good for off roading where gearing overcomes the power problem, but forget hauling or towing anything

EvanB SuperDork
Oct. 3, 2011 9:19 p.m.

How much power does the V8 make?

alex SuperDork
Oct. 3, 2011 9:47 p.m.

How hard is it to add boost?

mmosbey Reader
Oct. 3, 2011 9:55 p.m.
Sonic wrote: I can't even imagine how slow that is. That motor is a dog in a 300d, let alone with a much bigger, heavier vehicle around it. My DiscoII is pretty slow with the V8. I suppose it would be good for off roading where gearing overcomes the power problem, but forget hauling or towing anything

It will easily run from a Unimog 404...

Osterkraut SuperDork
Oct. 3, 2011 9:58 p.m.
Sonic wrote: I can't even imagine how slow that is. That motor is a dog in a 300d, let alone with a much bigger, heavier vehicle around it. My DiscoII is pretty slow with the V8. I suppose it would be good for off roading where gearing overcomes the power problem, but forget hauling or towing anything

My FJ62 doesn't have THAT much more power than that Disco would have, and it's driveable.

Rusted_Busted_Spit SuperDork
Oct. 4, 2011 9:50 a.m.

That is very cool, and only about 2 hours from me.

Keith SuperDork
Oct. 4, 2011 10:01 a.m.

My Land Rover Series IIa makes 33 hp at the rear wheels. Sure, it's not fast. But it's not meant to be a highway screamer. It does just fine off-road, that's what gears are for.

But Discos aren't as single-minded as the Defenders and Series trucks. Still, I suspect that's a pretty good setup as long as you leave the mall once in a while.

93EXCivic SuperDork
Oct. 4, 2011 10:43 a.m.
alex wrote: How hard is it to add boost?

With those OM617s you can 180 easy but then you need a new injection pump and those are $$$$$$.

ransom HalfDork
Oct. 4, 2011 10:51 a.m.
mmosbey wrote: It will easily run from a Unimog 404...

Yeah, but how much more badly do you want the Unimog? I know how much more badly I want the Unimog... Though I really want a 416, despite the complete absence of places to park/drive it. When was any of this supposed to make sense?

MrJoshua SuperDork
Oct. 4, 2011 11:03 a.m.
EvanB wrote: How much power does the V8 make?

Stock DiscoII is roughly 180hp and 250 ft. lbs.

5.3 Vortec/LSx makes about 300/300 and a lot of that torque is available from around 1500rpm.

Travis_K SuperDork
Oct. 4, 2011 11:04 a.m.

I drive a car with that engine, and other than steep grades on the freeway I haven't noticed it being slow, it easily has enough power to accelerate at a reasonable rate and drive at the speed limit anywhere I have needed to drive.

Sonic Dork
Oct. 4, 2011 9:20 p.m.

Travis, your car weighs less, isn't full time 4WD, and doesn't have the aerodynamics of a barn.

My family has had cars with that motor in it since 1979 to the present, with a gap of about 5 years in there, so I have had plenty of experience with them. When in the W123 chassis they will accelerate at a normal speed and can roll out a bit on the highway, most of my time driving them had my foot at or near the floor. In a bigger/heavier/4WD/brick Disco, I think it would be frustrating.

That conversion does look clean, though.

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Little Car Show: Celebrating All Things Quirky and Small

9 hours ago in Articles

As the name suggests, the Little Car Show is all about little cars.

Concours d’Lemons to Ruin Monterey Car Week Yet Again

10 hours ago in News

What started as the anti-concours has transformed into a major event on the Monterey Car Week schedule.

You Need This: A Quite Eye-Catching Green Over Red Ferrari

11 hours ago in News

Not your usual Ferrari color combo.

We're Back In Monterey for Car Week

11 hours ago in News

And so it begins, another trip to Monterey Car Week.

Your Projects: JDM Autozam AZ-1 Kei Car

12 hours ago in News

What are the realities of importing a JDM kei car to the U.S.?

Tonight on Grassroots Motorsports LIVE! Lee Grimes of Koni Shocks

1 day ago in News

This may shock you, but suspension is arguably the most important part of going fast.

Classic Motorsports Monterey Welcome Party Welcomes 2000-Plus Gearheads

1 day ago in Articles

Last night we threw a party, and more than 2000 people came to celebrate.

You Need This: E46-Chassis BMW M3 for $6000!?

2 days ago in News

Could this M3 donate its heart to your next project?

Deal of the Month: Free Trackside Companion!

2 days ago in News

Ever wished you had a handy guide on how to dial in your alignment or adjust your dampers?

This Tuesday: Join Us at Track Night in America

3 days ago in News

This Tuesday we'll be running at Palm Beach International Raceway

Experience Monterey With Us

3 days ago in News

We're on our way out to Monterey, California, for car week.

Tomorrow, August 15: Join our Monterey Kickoff Cruise-In

3 days ago in News

Our Monterey welcome party is taking over all of downtown Pacific Grove.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
dxHBOvhgydYt7ymxWnJcwkkp6f3sVUit