Javelin SuperDork
June 8, 2011 9:00 p.m.

My Grandfather has decided he is too old to drag drag a Super Gas car anymore and is selling his 1969 AMX.

eBay auction

It does better than 10.40's (9.8x is the best IIRC) with an all-motor 401. Has a title and VIN, can be street legal easily.

I can't afford it and it sucks to see him sell it. Tell your friends.

JoeyM SuperDork
June 8, 2011 9:16 p.m.

Sending link to my Dad.

rebelgtp SuperDork
June 8, 2011 9:34 p.m.

Wow I really wish I had the money for that...

June 8, 2011 9:38 p.m.

Top-rated seller 14744amc ( 1159)

Grandpa sells alot of stuff

Javelin SuperDork
June 8, 2011 9:46 p.m.

Yup, it's his retirement business. He reproduces AMC parts (emblems and trim), restores jukeboxes and pinballs, and builds AMC race parts.

I honestly can't believe he's hanging up the helmet this early, though I'm told it's because he wants a street car (drive to track, go fast, drive home) so he can dump the truck/trailer/etc.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo HalfDork
June 8, 2011 9:55 p.m.

Get a loan and buy it! That thing is awesome. Keep it in the family.

alex SuperDork
June 9, 2011 6:33 a.m.

Oh man, I used to have the same tile he has in his trailer in a bathroom in my house growing up.

Yeah, that's all I have to contribute.

DrBoost SuperDork
June 9, 2011 6:58 a.m.
JoeyM wrote: Sending link to my Dad.

Sending link to Santa.

Ian F SuperDork
June 9, 2011 7:12 a.m.

Nice! I was going to say, "make it streetable!", but after looking at the pics, I can see that would be a difficult process...

Javelin SuperDork
June 9, 2011 8:36 a.m.
93gsxturbo wrote: Get a loan and buy it! That thing is awesome. Keep it in the family.

Me: I need a loan.

Bank: What for?

Me: A car.

Bank: Okay, great! What year, make, and model?

Me: 1969 AMC AMX

Bank: A what? We can do classic cars, but what's an AMX?

Me: (Shows picture of wheelstand)

Bank: Uh, no.

Javelin SuperDork
June 9, 2011 8:38 a.m.
Ian F wrote: Nice! I was going to say, "make it streetable!", but after looking at the pics, I can see that would be a difficult process...

The interior would suck, but that's about it. It has a clear title and VIN, all of the lights and blinkers work, and it drives well (I've driven it!). It would need a glass windshield and the wipers re-installed along with some street tires.

mad_machine SuperDork
June 9, 2011 10:38 a.m.

that is a real shame.. but better to hang up the helmet early on something that powerful than to wreck it and get badly hurt. Your Grandfather has a maturity rating of 10+

petegossett SuperDork
June 9, 2011 10:50 a.m.

In reply to Javelin:

There are places that will finance a racecar/collector car, if you have good credit.

92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
June 9, 2011 11:16 a.m.

I'm sure that 4500rpm stall would be nice on the street.

Klayfish Reader
June 9, 2011 11:23 a.m.

That's a wicked car. Sucks to sell it, but sure can respect his decision.

Restores pinballs, huh? When I was a teenager I had a pinball machine called "Gorgar". Had some historical significance...I believe it was the first talking arcade game. Wish I still had it.

MitchellC Dork
June 9, 2011 1:10 p.m.

In reply to Ian F:

This is Florida we're talking about... Have a title? Have money? Here's a plate!

Ian F SuperDork
June 9, 2011 1:40 p.m.
Javelin wrote: The interior would suck, but that's about it. It has a clear title and VIN, all of the lights and blinkers work, and it drives well (I've driven it!). It would need a glass windshield and the wipers re-installed along with some street tires.

I thought a speedometer was required as well? All I noticed was a tach.

novaderrik Dork
June 9, 2011 6:13 p.m.
Ian F wrote:
Javelin wrote: The interior would suck, but that's about it. It has a clear title and VIN, all of the lights and blinkers work, and it drives well (I've driven it!). It would need a glass windshield and the wipers re-installed along with some street tires.

I thought a speedometer was required as well? All I noticed was a tach.

if you know the gear ratio and tire diameter, you can make a chart that shows what rpm equals what speed.. i drove my Nova for 2 years like that when i couldn't find speedo gears for the early 60's T10 that was in it..

Javelin SuperDork
June 9, 2011 7:58 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: I'm sure that 4500rpm stall would be nice on the street.

700 Foot Pounds of Torque. So yeah, it is nice.

bravenrace SuperDork
June 10, 2011 12:03 p.m.

In reply to Javelin:

Usually more torque means less need for a high RPM stall converter. I'm just sayin.

BAMF Reader
June 12, 2011 12:54 p.m.

Your grandfather is a badass.

Javelin SuperDork
June 14, 2011 1:30 p.m.

One day left, only at $6000.

Drive it to the GRM World HQ and keep rattling the windows with cam overlap until they submit to your demands.

Javelin SuperDork
June 14, 2011 1:32 p.m.
Klayfish wrote: That's a wicked car. Sucks to sell it, but sure can respect his decision. Restores pinballs, huh? When I was a teenager I had a pinball machine called "Gorgar". Had some historical significance...I believe it was the first talking arcade game. Wish I still had it.

Gorgar was indeed the first talking pinball! I helped him restore one of those when I was younger, that was a cool machine.

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

MX-5 Cup Racing: Live on Your Screen This Friday and Saturday

1 day ago in News

Catch all the action of the Global MX-5 Cup race at Road America live this weekend.

How to Run Compressed Air at Home

1 day ago in Articles

A guide for installing an air compressor and air tools in your home garage.

2017 Volkswagen Golf SportWagen TSI 4Motion

1 day ago in New Car Reviews

Say hello to the Volkswagen Golf SportWagen TSI S with 4Motion. It comes with a turbocharged 1.8-liter engine that is ...

You Need This: $1600 Street Racer Ford Festiva

1 day ago in News

It already has a GRM sticker and everything.

Get Your Subscription Combo Deals!

1 day ago in News

Get both our magazines for the price of one!

Your Projects: smokindav’s VW GTI Project

1 day ago in News

Love a good MK5 GTI? You might enjoy this build thread.

Wing It: Simple Talk on the Complex Subject of Aerodynamics

2 days ago in Articles

Whether sleek, boxy or somewhere in between, all cars interact with the air while racing down the track.

2018 Acura TLX V6 A-Spec

2 days ago in New Car Reviews

Acura is introducing something new for the 2018 model year: the Acura TLX V6 A-Spec. It's the highest trim level ...

You Need This: 1989 Suzuki Swift GTi

2 days ago in News

For sale: one of Suzuki's under-appreciated hot hatches.

Buyer's Guide: Chevy Cobalt SS

2 days ago in Articles

All the information you'll need on GM’s entry in the sport compact wars.

Wednesday Night GRM Live: Are You Using the Right Chemicals for the Job?

3 days ago in News

What do all these cans even do!?!?

Project SVT Focus Gets Caught Up on Maintenance

3 days ago in Project Cars

Once again, some off-road action sent our project focus under the knife.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
OixgJCqquYpE0FNMPBCttIGXcdCw5RV9