1 2 3 ... 9
thestig99
thestig99 Dork
5/19/18 8:12 a.m.

I know there are some bike peeps in here. Post your bikes! And, like, discuss. 

I picked up this lightly used 2017 Diamondback Hook over the winter with a few upgrades (namely 1x9 and rear brake). I've since added a Specialized Command Post IRCC 125mm dropper post, Shimano Deore XT cranks with a RaceFace Turbine X-Type BB and Wolf Tooth Drop Stop elliptical chainring, set up tubless, and some misc little stuff. Trails are finally opening for the season here and I'm loving it so far. I think the next purchase will be a front brake to match the rear.

I do also still have this guy: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/peugeot-mixte-mini-restoration-ish/127062/page1/

Still sitting broken and unused following a traffic accident with a 3/4 ton truck on my 4th ride sad

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
5/19/18 8:34 a.m.
MazdaFace
MazdaFace HalfDork
5/19/18 9:17 a.m.

pure fix. I call it chameleon. Other than the saddle and the zipp stem it's stock. 

MazdaFace
MazdaFace HalfDork
5/19/18 9:20 a.m.

2010 giant Yukon XL. Different saddle/stem/bars. Everything else is stock. Eventually I'll get around to a 1x9 but for now it works. 

MazdaFace
MazdaFace HalfDork
5/19/18 9:24 a.m.

nashbar frame & fork, mavic aksium wheelset, microshift arsis 2x10 carbon fiber groupset, Brooks cambium saddle, FSA crankset, seat post, stem, & bars. I call this one for sale lol

Trackmouse
Trackmouse UltraDork
5/19/18 9:25 a.m.

I’m not interested until until we see some motorized bicycles. I have a men’s 26” mongoose. I also have a pocketbike that I don’t fit on. Really contemplating buying a kit to graft that engine onto my bicycle. 

Suprf1y
Suprf1y PowerDork
5/19/18 9:31 a.m.

Surprised?

You shouldn't be cheeky

Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
5/19/18 9:35 a.m.

I took a framebuilding class at Ti Cycles, and built this (steel) road bike, which is a slightly modified version of their Hyak production bike. Built up with (EDIT: Ultegra. I said 105. Apparently I still can't believe I built up a bike with anything further up the ladder...), uses the new T47 (large diameter but threaded) BB standard. Rides beautifully. I learned a ton taking the class, though unfortunately my old HF helmet crapped out in storage and I failed to go from zero to TIG in time to do assembly. So it'd be more accurate to say I was involved in some tube fitting on this bike... Still, with more practice, looking forward to doing a 'cross bike properly.

It was originally going to be done up in a paint scheme mimicking a Campari bottle, but the painter had a nasty motorcycle accident on a trip, and we opted to send it for the pinkest powdercoat they had, and I actually really like it. The top tube sticker says "Hotpink Desiato" in case there are Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy fans reading... cheeky

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie Reader
5/19/18 10:07 a.m.

I've had a lot of bikes and eventually gravitated back to steel after years of aluminum and carbon.

This is my favorite bike. It's a Dave Scott Centurion Ironman, late 80's vintage. I have a vintage DuraAce fetish and I like downtube shifters so it's 80's era 10x2 all Shimano DuraAce painstakingly assembled from eBay. After many bikes in my life, this one still makes my heart flutter when I turn the light on and see it hanging in the rack. This bike made serious riding a possibility for me because it fits me better than anything I had ever owned prior. I bought it all original from CL and the first time I ever rode it, I knew I'd found the one. So I built it to suit my tastes without compromise.

This is my number 2 bike. It has brifters instead of downtube shifters like my main bike has. The drivetrain is late model  Shimano Tiagra that I took off a new damaged Specialized Allez and combined with the frameset. Again, it's another Dave Scott Centurion Ironman. 

This is my fast bike. It's also my only aluminum bike. All late model  Shimano 105 10x2 drivetrain. I use this bike for climbing. And it is my fastest by far. I went slightly weight weenie when I built this one. But on long rides, the ally frame wears me out.

My long distance, slower bike. Very comfortable. Bone stock Specialized AWOL. Heavy but worth it in comfort. This is my go-to bike for casual miles. You'd kill yourself trying to keep up with fast bikes, but it will go the distance all day for me.

My off road bike. Bone stock Specialized. Mountain biking isn't my thing since history has shown me to be prone to significant orthopedic injuries. All this bike has ever seen is gravel trails, nothing serious.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
5/19/18 11:40 a.m.

My taste in bikes tends toward the modern and the sophisticated.  My road bike is a late 1980's Schwinn Probe ATB fitted with road slicks.  I keep expecting it to fall apart, but it doesn't.  When it finally does, I'll get myself something even more modern.  And sophisticated.

coexist
coexist Reader
5/19/18 12:16 p.m.

Put this together a few months ago.

40mm gravel kings , 8spd ultegra, Univega nuovo sport from the 70's. Fun to ride, will get a paint job next winter.

coexist
coexist Reader
5/19/18 12:21 p.m.

Very early Aegis carbon , salvaged after a spun BB sleeve. Fixed . My favorite ride.

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
5/19/18 12:36 p.m.

Here's my ride! Only addition I've made is the sweet aluminum rack and bottle from Woody.

Well, I have replaced both tires because of wear and the rat traps because of a crash (my fault for riding with no hands wearing knockoff birkenstocks and hitting some deep potholes, oh college). But I've rocked this garage sale bike for over 13 years. Now it almost exclusively gets used for towing the trailers you can see behind the bikes. We (me an the kids) don't do much distance riding but we go to school and run errands around town as much as possible on the bike.

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
5/19/18 2:36 p.m.

This ones currently my favorite to ride. 62 jc Higgins flightliner turned klunker. 

I won t post pictures of all my bikes, I have a 78 all pro turned death trap bike, a 66 Hiawatha and 53 scwhinn spitfire. Plus my 04 haro bmx and a lowrider built out of a bratz bike.

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
5/19/18 2:39 p.m.

The Ford blue frame in the top left is the bike I ride the most and likely the reason for my knee problems. 04 haro frame with mix and match parts. 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
5/19/18 3:27 p.m.

I have this one, that I’d actually like to sell, but it’s turned out to be a bit of an enigma. Anecdotal evidence points to it being a pre-war Schwinn Superior, but I’ve not been able to prove that. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
5/19/18 5:20 p.m.

Early '70's Italian goodness Leri Mirella, originally Campy Grand Sport (IIRC) and of course 27" rims, now rocking early-00's Ultegra 2x9 with Bontrager 700c and Tektro long-reach calipers.  I still have the downtube shifters in place, but they're just eye candy.  I'm using them as cable housing stops.  Also still using the Campy crankset because I love the look.  53/42.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
5/19/18 5:36 p.m.

2002 Lemond Buenos Aires, was 2x9 Ultegra, donated all that to the Mirella and got full rebuild with 2x10 Tiagra 4600 and Fulcrum 7LG wheelset. Masked the decals, shot the frame with an almost-perfect match from a rattle can, wet sanded and clear coated.  It's my kid's first road bike.  

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
5/19/18 5:46 p.m.

2004 Specialized FSR-XC.  XT 3x9.  Hasn't seen much action since I started running back in 2012.  :-(

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
5/20/18 10:17 a.m.

Mine: An older Trek OCLV9700. All CF. This was the pic from when I first bought it, it's been through some modifications since. Next up is a new front fork, the Fox Shox are shot

TJL
TJL New Reader
5/20/18 12:10 p.m.

Formerly a guy who rode everyday, all day, now just a nerd dad with many injuries(bad back, shot knees, much more) and dusty bikes. Still had my 1997 GT Karakoram until backing up my truck/trailer on a move caved in the chain stay and pulled nipples through the rim. 

Still have my early 2000’s redline monocog(26” bmx bike pretty much). Its still stock and was a very fun bike to play on.  When i got with my wife we wanted to ride, so we both bought Marin mtb’s. Mines a nicely equipped 29”er.  I’ll pump up the tires occasionally and remind myself what a nice light tight bike is like. 

Since ive succumbed to injuries and being a fat dad, bombing trails isnt a thing anymore, i decided a “fat bike” might get me out. Bought a 199$ “mongoose”(not made by mongoose) malus from Academy(just looked the are down to 172$!) . Disc brakes, Euro bottom bracket, big fat rims/tires. Threw some cheap shimano parts on like hydraulic brakes, shifters, triple chainring crank. Big fat springy gel seat and dopey big rise handlebars. It is 100% a “no berks given” fun to ride, not look cool bike. Built one up for the wife too the way she wanted it, pink, purple, extra big hoopty bars. Will get painted some hideous pink/purple at some point.  Ive had plenty of people look at it like it was a clown car, but 100% of those people were ready to buy one after riding it.  Got a trailer for them and will be seeing if my son will tolerate riding behind us. 

Also been eyeballing my grandpas old schwinn cruiser. Not sure what year it is, but its certainly old enough to be a quality build. That and my dads bone stock 1960’s schwinn skinny tire bike, its in very good shape. Too many projects on hold so those will be waiting a long time. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/20/18 1:46 p.m.

Very cool. There's just something so perfect about a bicycle: simple, efficient and beautiful. 

My main ride is an S&M ATF for 22-inch wheel. They offer the frame in two sizes. I ride the one with the shorter top tube. 

David S. Wallens
5/20/18 1:51 p.m.

Here's my latest build on its maiden voyage: Skyway T/A retro frame with Graphite Tuff Wheels. (No, that's not me on it.)

And I think this one is on deck: Kappa K20, another retro BMX frame. This one's been sitting on a shelf for a dozen years. Time to make it whole. 

David S. Wallens
5/20/18 1:52 p.m.

I need to go ride this one: 1999 DK ProXL. I was my 30th birthday to myself. It's been sitting for a while. 

David S. Wallens
5/20/18 1:56 p.m.

I'm not the original owner of this one, but I'm its current caretaker: 1979 Team Mongoose.

1 2 3 ... 9
Our Preferred Partners
3fnLFsfTw6i6OpWlf3ys8OsFJhZ3hSj24PsIfGZrrgVTfBtNFXUV0QztN9ITLJiq