1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 17
1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
5/17/19 10:28 a.m.

Dang!  All these nice bikes makes me want to clean the dirt off my late 80's Schwinn! 

Haha.  Just kidding.

Sprayed down the chain after my ride yesterday.  I was amazed at how much easier it is to pedal. 

Hoondavan
Hoondavan Reader
5/17/19 11:06 a.m.

My Trek is at least 15 years old.  The forks (air/oil) should probably be rebuilt, but otherwise it's a nice ride.  The 6700 has the same Alum. frame as the higher-end 7000+ of that era.  It's surprisingly light and made in the USA.  It also fits in the my VW Wagon with the front wheel removed, so I don't have to deal with a bike rack.

As much as a full suspension rig would be nice, it's really not required where I ride in FL (flat & sandy). A lightweight FS bike is essentially challenge money (x2 or x3 sometimes).  When I was a teenager I had a full carbon fiber Miyata frame (a friend was sponsored by the company).  That thing was a dream...soooooo smoothe, even as a hardtail.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
5/17/19 2:21 p.m.

I hopped on my mtb for the first time in well over a month & noticed my(threadless) headset bearings all of a sudden seem a bit loose. I’m hoping a slight adjustment will cure it & that it’s not something like a slipped star nut. 

Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
5/17/19 2:33 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

The star nut's just there to make the bearing adjustment, and shouldn't have any load on it in use once you tighten the pinch bolts on the stem. So hopefully everything proves dandy once you readjust.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
5/18/19 5:56 a.m.

In reply to Ransom :

I snugged it up last night, but the bearings feel a bit notchy. I’m probably going to need to overhaul the whole bike sooner rather than later as the chainrings & sprockets are getting worn too. 

failboat
failboat UberDork
5/18/19 6:20 a.m.

Dc bike ride this morning. 20 miles around SW dc on traffic free roads. Not many single speed bikes out here (I havent seen any)

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
5/18/19 9:16 a.m.

I've been getting back to commuting last week and this week, specially since Friday was national bike to work day. It's been good, but managed to get caught in a severe thunderstorm on the last couple miles last night.

Morning:

Afternoon:

Theres some more pics and video on my IG @pedaltrash if you're interested 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/20/19 7:18 a.m.

So, back on page 5 of this thread, a year ago, I shared this:

Well, since this thread is back to the top, I'll internet overshare again....  

She also has a ballance bike.  This video was from the day after Christmas.  I had gotten her a sled but the weather was quite warm so her idea was to ride the bike down out back "sled hill."  

This winter/spring we have continued to ride the ballance bike on the fairways out back.  Smooth and soft if she falls.  

Lately she has been doing a little riding of a wayyy to big bike that has training wheels.  The bike belongs to the babysitter's neighbor kids.  

So, I figured she is ready for a pedal bike.  Just this past week, I scored a $15 bike off FB Marketplace that was within 4 miles of home.  The bike is complete but does not have training wheels.  Knowing that the bike is small (12" wheels) and that she could touch the ground while seated, I figured she could do it w/o training wheels.  So, Saturday morning, out came the new bike.  This video taken at 10am.  We had been at it for less than 1 hr.  

She literally rode the bike all day long.  On Sunday morning, she wanted to go back out and ride at 6am.  I held her off until 6:30am.   It was a perfect morning to be out on the cart paths before the golfers arrived.  

So, yeah, I'm the overly proud father who took a lot of pics/video.   She's 4 1/2 yrs old.

Furious_E
Furious_E UltraDork
5/20/19 11:59 a.m.

Finally got my first decent ride of the year in yesterday (pathetic, I know - spending too much time at work and in the garage) and even talked SWMBO into borrowing one of my dad's bikes and tagging along. Brought her to our local rail trail and managed to put in a very nice 20 mile ride, in spite of the weather. We knew there was a risk of storms and sure enough about half way out we started watching some very ominous clouds off in the distance. Made it to a pavilion at a park about a mile from the end about 30 seconds before the downpour started, and after about a half hour of waiting for the thunder, lightning, and rain to clear through we were rewarded with some much nicer temps on the ride back.

Most importantly, I think SWMBO had a really good time. I've been trying to get her to buy a bike and come riding with me for months now, so hopefully yesterday really set the hook. 

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
5/20/19 12:04 p.m.

So this commuting thing is great until a headwind doubles my commute time and my leaving early turned into arriving late. Boss was unimpressed by my ability to ride in such weather.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
5/20/19 12:57 p.m.

Just bought my wife a "new" bike. An older Surly 1x1. Probably going to swap to 27.5 and add gears and disc brakes. Has anyone used internally geared hubs? I was thinking off building a wheel with a Shimano Alfine 8 hub.

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
5/21/19 11:21 a.m.

I have, albiet older models. 

You'll have no issues with it. They can be problematic in dirty conditions with high-torque riders, but for most people they'll be nearly flawless. Just make sure she gets enough range. 

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
5/21/19 12:38 p.m.
barefootskater said:

So this commuting thing is great until a headwind doubles my commute time and my leaving early turned into arriving late. Boss was unimpressed by my ability to ride in such weather.

yeah...having a more flexible attendance policy makes riding in a lot less stressful. I'm lucky that my work place is easier on that front.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
5/21/19 3:20 p.m.
pheller said:

I have, albiet older models. 

You'll have no issues with it. They can be problematic in dirty conditions with high-torque riders, but for most people they'll be nearly flawless. Just make sure she gets enough range. 

Cool. It is going be used for some commuting/gravel riding/light mountain bike trails.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
5/30/19 7:26 p.m.

Added a dollar store underseat bag to mine to tidy things up, I put the lock I usually leave weaved around the upper tube and the tools I usually put in my pocket in there:

Matches the bike, just too bad it has the uncanny ability to make the bike look so much less sporty. Tried to take it for a ride yesterday and my hands and face were freezing after a couple minutes so I made a quick 180 back to the house. I guess summer hasn't quite reached Ontario yet.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
5/30/19 7:31 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:

Added a dollar store underseat bag to mine to tidy things up, I put the lock I usually leave weaved around the upper tube and the tools I usually put in my pocket in there:

Matches the bike, just too bad it has the uncanny ability to make the bike look so much less sporty. Tried to take it for a ride yesterday and my hands and face were freezing after a couple minutes so I made a quick 180 back to the house. I guess summer hasn't quite reached Ontario yet.

Check the zippers on a regular basis. I've seen more than one cheap saddle bag unzip itself during a ride and broadcast the contents, usually without the rider being aware.

I commuted today and during the ride home we set a record high for the 4th day in a row. 98°F.  So summer has definitely made it to Georgia.

TVR Scott
TVR Scott HalfDork
6/11/19 8:16 p.m.

New bike day for me today!  Kona Process 153 DL 29

I drank the buzz-word kool-aid:

This replaces my 2004 Jamis Dakar, and will be an upgrade in many many ways.

Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
6/12/19 8:04 a.m.

In reply to TVR Scott :

Congrats! I suspect you're going to love it. I went from a 26" hardtail to a Hei Hei, and I'm totally sold on modern mountain bikes. They may feel super-weird and big in the parking lot, but they work so well on the trail. Running tubeless? That was another revelation; the low pressures I can get away with make for awesome smoothness and grip. I'm not a very aggressive rider and we don't have tons of rocks, but I'm able to run about 20F/22R at 190lb...

TVR Scott
TVR Scott HalfDork
6/12/19 9:14 a.m.
Ransom said:

In reply to TVR Scott :

Congrats! I suspect you're going to love it. I went from a 26" hardtail to a Hei Hei, and I'm totally sold on modern mountain bikes. They may feel super-weird and big in the parking lot, but they work so well on the trail. Running tubeless? That was another revelation; the low pressures I can get away with make for awesome smoothness and grip. I'm not a very aggressive rider and we don't have tons of rocks, but I'm able to run about 20F/22R at 190lb...

Thanks!

I got to go for a 10 mile dirt bike path cruise with my daughter this morning, but it was fun even then.  It is definitely a big cushy bike, but it is playful and smooth and quite nice even just to cruise on.

And I jumped every curb I came to!

It is tubeless, and it is my first bike set up that way.  The bike shop guy recommended similar pressures.  Trails in CO can vary from super smooth to super rocky and everything in between, so I'll just have to figure out what works.

I had a Kona Lava Dome that I bought in 1993 or so - it was my second MTB and I adored it.  I changed out almost everything on that bike, and some of my parts combinations were a bit ill-advised.  I've matured on that front.  But I've been a Kona fan ever since.

GhiaMonster
GhiaMonster Reader
6/12/19 9:35 a.m.

Got a ride in before work today dropping a car off at the shop for an inspection.  Added a few miles to the return and made it to my desk with 3 minutes to spare.  Heading back at lunchtime to retrieve.  The bike had come in handy over the past few weeks for vehicle shuffling between locations. 

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
6/12/19 9:59 a.m.

I've been getting all hot and bothered wanting to start doing some trials riding. I have been commuting on my single speed and that is good but I have no idea where to start concerning equipment. I think I'd like 26" wheels and low gearing, because I like how some of those bikes look and also something that could tackle dirt once in a while would be ridden more because utah desert. Anyone have experience for a total noob who hasn't tried anything like this since I was about 14? Also not really wanting to go broke to start.

Looking at stuff like this:

See the source image

Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
6/12/19 10:36 a.m.

In reply to barefootskater :

I got nothing except that I think I basically failed when I traded my cheap 24" trials (not street trials, a seatless pure trials bike) away to DILYSI Dave for a Hutch Exel that was spectacularly cool but totally useless for riding. I sold that and bought Burrito's Sunday Model C 24" cruiser, but it's got a BMX-spec rear brake, no front brake, no easy way to gear it lower... What I really want is more or less what you posted.

With the current exchange rate, it's worth checking out Tartybikes; I think that ended up being significantly cheaper for a Czar or an Inspired than the U.S. shop I know for this stuff. I'm all for buying local, but I give some credit to Tartybikes for introducing us all to Danny Macaskill, and other mumbling excuses to save a couple hundred bucks... I don't know much about the Czar stuff, and was looking at the Inspired bikes; they have a Flow model in 24" that's even cheaper than the Czar stuff.

TVR Scott
TVR Scott HalfDork
6/12/19 10:40 a.m.

In reply to barefootskater :

I messed around with trials a bit when I was in England for college.  I wasn't any good at it, but I had a lot of fun.

I've pondered buying a similar rig to what you're showing there.  I thought a 24" Echo or Inspired looked like fun.  Might even do it if something cheap came up on C/L locally.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau SuperDork
6/12/19 11:43 a.m.

Forgot to post my NBD a few weeks ago. The place I moved to has a velodrome across the street, and I've been tired of seeing them have all the fun without me so I finally bought a track bike!

She's aggressively sexy, petite figure, goes exactly one speed - fast AF, and nothing can stop her - no brakes whatsoever!

The view from my front yard: 

I took the beginner class last month and I've been racing every Tuesday night since then. Mashing on a 48/14 ratio currently, but I might go up to a 15 or 16 cog since I have good leg speed from all my running. 

It's literally Nascar for bikes. Go fast - turn left - draft. Even the "points" races are set up the same way.

adam525i
adam525i Reader
6/12/19 12:01 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

I spent a lot of time rolling around our little indoor velodrome  (138m long, 52 degree banking in the corners, installed in an old hockey arena because Canada) in London, Ontario - http://www.forestcityvelodrome.ca/ in the past and the thrill of racing on that track is something I'll never forget. As you get more skilled see if they offer lessons on riding/racing the madison, its pretty special being thrown from 18 mph to 35 mph with one hand on the bars and riders all around doing the same.

That's a really solid Track bike, you can go as far as you want in the sport with that as your basis, just add fancy wheels and tubular tires.

Adam

1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 17
Our Preferred Partners
yIWDlglE1zvNS9CR14q5COY93sdeQdru0xix2nSlMlKG6KVe4PRoQHjJGoyLIvaH