1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 25
Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
6/20/19 2:58 p.m.

anyone from the Ohio / PA area that is interested. there is the Old Fools BMX race this weekend at the Akron BMX track.

Old Fools BMX "Flat Pedals Only" Race For Your Life! - https://www.facebook.com/events/314080249460136/

I did it last year and it was a blast. Fist time on a BMX track in 30+ years. And it is free - no membership or entry fees for those 35 and up.

I plan to go and race my 26" dirt jump bike, but I am so out of shape. With the non-stop rain I have only been on my mountain bike three times this year.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
6/21/19 11:08 p.m.

Took the bike for one last ride before it gets put away for at least a few months, maybe closer to a year depending on how cold it is in mid/late October:

Saw one other person on a bike in the park, so I wasn't the only one this time.

grover
grover HalfDork
6/22/19 10:20 a.m.

I picked this up from a buddy moving to LA a couple of weeks ago. So far I’ve been around the block and then did a 15 mile ride down A1A. I’ve been a runner most of my life so I’m excited about doing something new. I did commute 15 miles a day for a while several years ago but this feels different. I just bought the overall tight ball pad things and I think next up is a fitting. Any tips? 

Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
6/22/19 10:53 a.m.
grover said:

I just bought the overall tight ball pad things and I think next up is a fitting. Any tips? 

Bib shorts?

TL;DR: Ask around/research locally for a good fitter; it matters who you get.

I didn't get a fitting for a long, long time, and A) wish I'd done it sooner, but B) wish I'd researched fitters a little better first. I went to a place that specializes as a sort of cycling physical therapy place, but I feel a bit like they might've hired PTs who were PTs first and professionally capable of understanding physiological issues, but not really cyclists themselves... I wound up with a theoretically "biomechanically correct" fit, but I have some uncertainty about whether it's ideal, and am seriously considering doing another fit with someone who's a cyclist/bike-fitter, hoping to find someone who does perhaps have that PT or medical background, but really understands bike handling and has the context to understand what kind of riding you do. (I feel like I may have been bucketed into a sort of more upright riding position by answers to questoins I didn't realize were being interpreted as input to the fit, when I should've been asked directly about the style and variety of rides I do, not to mention preference...)

Nice bike, congrats!

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
6/22/19 12:05 p.m.

In reply to grover :

Finding a good shop for fitting will depend some on where you live.  In the SE PA/NJ area, we have a number of good shops to chose from.  I'd suggest joining a local/regional biking forum and doing some digging and then maybe ask. There should be plenty in the LA area.

grover
grover HalfDork
6/27/19 1:09 p.m.

Took my first ride in the bib shorts.  It was hot, something like 108* real feel but I was at least by the ocean most of the ride.  It was only 10 miles :/ I thought that I had a flat at one point, but my tire was just low apparently.  Big shorts worked pretty well- sit bones still sore.  My gears aren't working great, and the fronts don't work at all. Bars make my hands go numb...so I'll need to figure that out.  My knees go sore, which is weird.  I only averaged 14mph, took 43 minutes. 

I got home and my rear tire was at 35lb.  I raised it to 100 and I'm excited to try that out.  I need a fitting and also to get the gearing adjusted.  I also want to look at handle bar options.  More than a couple of hours and I would have been completly numb in hands and feet.  

All in all, it was fun. I'm using strava, but thinking about getting an apple watch for heartrate and all that.  Cadence would be nice.  I'm used to pacing myself running but this is different.  Any other tips would be much appreciated.  

Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
6/27/19 1:19 p.m.

In reply to grover :

The fitting may help with numbness, knees, and even seat discomfort; I'd see where the fit gets you with the existing parts (or whether the fitter suggests specific changes). Of course, finding a saddle that works for you is a trial and error thing; there's shop here that has a "saddle library"; for a $25 deposit you can check out a saddle for a week, and when you find one you like  they apply that toward purchase.

Failing that, pay attention to how it's uncomfortable, and whether more or less curvature in different planes might help (e.g. I like a saddle that's relatively flat when viewed from the side, as opposed to one that has a significant dip when viewed from the side or much upward curve when viewed from the rear). Some shops have a memory foam pad meant to help gauge how far apart your sit bones are. The ass-ometer. Not very accurate, but may have helped guide me to a wider saddle, which has helped a bit.

But I'm still looking for that "ideal" saddle 30-something years of cycling later...

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
6/27/19 2:17 p.m.

Oh a quick PSA, clamp-on style drink holders can BERKELEY UP YER TUBES:

The threaded shaft that holds the clamp was chewing on the tube there, luckily it was nothing some satin-black rattle-canning couldn't fix.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
6/27/19 2:26 p.m.

A pro fit is money well spent on a real road bike. But be aware it often requires buying nee parts like stems or seatposta, which will add to the cost. Still worth it. Numb hands could be bar, bar height in relation to saddle, gloves, even saddle tilt and position causing too much weight on hands.

Agreed, saddles are always a thing. I have one friend who found a saddle that really worked so she bought several. That way she still has them when they stop making that model. 

Dude, I hope that's an aluminum frame. Anything universal that clamps to a frame is usually a bad idea, and an absolute no go on carbon.

Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
6/27/19 2:38 p.m.
ultraclyde said:

Agreed, saddles are always a thing. I have one friend who found a saddle that really worked so she bought several. That way she still has them when they stop making that model. 

I still have a couple of unopened WTB Valcons from before I renewed my search because they were the best I'd found so far...

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
6/27/19 2:48 p.m.
ultraclyde said:

Dude, I hope that's an aluminum frame. Anything universal that clamps to a frame is usually a bad idea, and an absolute no go on carbon.

Yep, but luckily I caught it early enough that even a steel frame wouldn't have had time to rust.

failboat
failboat UberDork
6/27/19 7:31 p.m.

Sold the old bike and scooped up a mongoose vinson fat bike. All aluminum and some decent components stock. Had a stem and bmx bars ready to go on but cables too short right now. Been a lot of fun so far, cant wait to log some miles on it.

travellering
travellering HalfDork
6/28/19 10:47 a.m.

Was just gifted an ego check device (stages left crank power meter) from SWMBO.

I remember being able to hold much higher power averages when I was racing and training 10,000 plus miles a year.  It's almost as if fifteen years and fifty pounds has slowed me down somehow...

Here's the bike it went on:

grover
grover HalfDork
7/1/19 7:44 a.m.

Did 20.2 miles yesterday in 1:13.  Headwind out was a pain and I’m honestly not very fast. 16.5mph average. Still need to fix the gears (front not working) and work on hand position so I can go numb less, but all in all this is fun. I’m resisting jumping straight to a 50 miler this week just because I want to be nice to my knees. 

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
7/1/19 7:56 a.m.

Took an "almost free" new frame and made it into a ridgid-fork urban 1x10 26er.  Shimano Zee drivetrain, BWW wheelset, Shimano hydraulic brakes.   It's light and nimble and quite fun to ride.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/1/19 11:06 a.m.

Earlier this year, my small town installed a Pump Tack near the water front.  

Link to FB video

This Sunday monring I took my daughter there for the first time.  We got there about 9am and no one was there.  We stayed until 11:00-ish.  As I had guessed, high school kids sleep until 10am and it stayed unbusy until then. 

One skinned knee (almost immediately) but that did not stop her:

I too was riding the track on my 26" Bridgestone. It was more of a workout than I thought though I will admit, I never really got the timing down right for the hills and pumping.  Need more practice!  

My 4 yr old was rather enamored by the 14 yr old sk8er bois (uh, oh)  and how well they were doing on scooters.  I fear she will be listening to Aviril Levine by the end of the week.  

Brotus7
Brotus7 HalfDork
7/1/19 11:26 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Awesome - it's great to see little ones in the bike parks.  I love seeing my daughter start to take an interest in her strider.

I just treated the mountain bike to some new tires and a well earned bath.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
7/1/19 2:47 p.m.

Finished building up my new MTB after breaking my Niner. Ragley Big Wig, steel frame, 64 degree head tube angle with 150mm fork, 435mm chainstays, 475mm reach. 150mm Fox34 fork, SRAM 10spd drivetrain, Avid XO (that are about to be replaced with TRP Slate T4). 

failboat
failboat UberDork
7/3/19 3:41 p.m.

My point man on the inside at Target allwed my buddy to score one of the Stranger Things special editions bikes. Its pretty cool! Its for his sons birthday. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/3/19 5:22 p.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic :

mountain bikes have gotten LONG since I rode. 

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
7/8/19 8:47 a.m.
Mndsm said:

In reply to 93EXCivic :

mountain bikes have gotten LONG since I rode. 

Yeah it is an XL. Wheelbase is around 1240mm. That isn't as long as the Pole Bikes though. Their hardtail in XL has a 1320mm wheelbase. Freaking massive.

grover
grover HalfDork
7/8/19 9:56 a.m.

Finally got my gearing fixed. Rode 25 on Saturday in hard rain (thanks Florida) for the first 10 or so miles. Legs were tired and I only averaged 16mph. Moved my seat back some and my hands were still numb and my knees were a little sore. I was quoted $250 for a 2 hour fitting. I’ll have to save up a bit for that. Hoping to put in over 100 this week. We’ll see how that goes. 

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
7/8/19 11:13 a.m.

LOL, my best-ever average on a group ride was just under 17mph. Averaging 16 ain't that slow. I went for a hilly ride Saturday with a couple friends, first time on a road bike in 6 months. We rode 15 miles with 900+ feet of climbing and averaged 12.6mph. I could have been faster but was waiting on someone who was riding slower - but I wouldn't have been THAT much faster! 

We're signed up for the valley ride on the 6 Gap Century in Dahlonega GA in September (35 miles, 3000ft), so I gotta start busting it on the trainer or something. I'm just having a hard time making myself ride in the heat this year.

NordicSaab
NordicSaab Dork
7/8/19 11:55 a.m.

figured I would finally contribute to this thread.  As some know im a bike enthusiast; especially ones built in the mid to late 90s.  I have been waiting on moving into the new house to start some bike projects, but In the past couple months ive bought 3 bikes.  

1) Litespeed Tuscany 

- This was one of my dream bikes growing up

- Probably would have been $4000+ new. Paid $800 

-Added carbon stem, bars and seatpost ($80) 

-Added Spinergy SPOX yellow/blue wheels ($200)

- This "build" is more or less done unless I can find a nice threadless carbon fork/headset.  

2) Schwinn 4 Banger 

- Carbon rear swingarm. 

- Really paid $20... would have retailed for $2000+ new. 

- Carbon work will need to be sanded and re cleared

- This was one of the last high quality bikes Schwinn did.  In many ways it is a re-branded Yeti (Schwinn bough Yeti bikes around this time period)

3) Specialized FSR (Comp?, Pro?, idk)

- Paid $65.50 shipped 

- Haven't recieved yet. No real plan, didnt expect to win.  My maximum bid was $25.  

- Also a $2000+ MSRP back in the day 

travellering
travellering HalfDork
7/8/19 1:35 p.m.

In reply to grover :

To my mind the $250 2 hour fitting is for racers who need to dial their position in to the mm for incremental performance gains.  Just to get the bike to where bits of you don't go numb shouldn't cost that much.  Have you shopped around other bike shops in your area?

1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 25
Our Preferred Partners
bE0wD2UqskEPdLdSqKSx8oaoSyqV1k8HZEvHj8dNFnDh4KIjAWSK94sHniDu0lpt