1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 17
grover
grover HalfDork
7/8/19 2:06 p.m.
ultraclyde said:

LOL, my best-ever average on a group ride was just under 17mph. Averaging 16 ain't that slow. I went for a hilly ride Saturday with a couple friends, first time on a road bike in 6 months. We rode 15 miles with 900+ feet of climbing and averaged 12.6mph. I could have been faster but was waiting on someone who was riding slower - but I wouldn't have been THAT much faster! 

We're signed up for the valley ride on the 6 Gap Century in Dahlonega GA in September (35 miles, 3000ft), so I gotta start busting it on the trainer or something. I'm just having a hard time making myself ride in the heat this year.

Haven’t tried out a group ride yet- I’m afraid of being too slow!! Those hills you’re planning on would kill me, I’ve been riding by the ocean. There is an epic dairy/ice cream place outside of dahlonega - the peaches and cream is amazing. 

grover
grover HalfDork
7/8/19 2:08 p.m.
travellering said:

In reply to grover :

To my mind the $250 2 hour fitting is for racers who need to dial their position in to the mm for incremental performance gains.  Just to get the bike to where bits of you don't go numb shouldn't cost that much.  Have you shopped around other bike shops in your area?

I have not- this was at a fancy tri shop near me, and I’m sure they are used to the wealthier folks around here (they have $4,000 rims for sale! ) I think I should look around. 

(not) WilD (Matt)
(not) WilD (Matt) Dork
7/8/19 2:12 p.m.

I decided to treat myself to a new bike this summer.  I wanted to try something new and different with disc brakes and a 1x drivetrain, so I picked up a Salsa Journeyman.  So far I'm really liking it.  It's a bit more relaxed and comfortable than my old CX bike and really inspires confidence on sketchy gravel roads.  I might even take it bikepacking if I can get myself in better shape. 

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
7/8/19 3:08 p.m.

Sweet ride matt!  Dig the colors.

TVR Scott
TVR Scott HalfDork
7/10/19 7:55 p.m.

Rode my new Kona for the first time on real obstacles and rough trail.  There's a "skills park" at Cherry Creek State Park that has a variety of terrain and obstacles.  Everything from little logs and rocks for kids, way up to big obstacles and steep drops.  Something for everyone - it's very cool.

I'm having a bit of a hard time expressing just how amazing this new bike is!  My old bike - a 2004 Jamis Dakar Sport - wasn't anything special to start with, and there's been a lot of technological change since 2004, but I felt superhuman on the new bike.

Here it is mid ride:

I took the picture right after riding over the big log-pyramid that's being used as a bike stand.  So like over 32" tall, and I rode over it with no trouble at all!

I tried this same obstacle on my old bike about a month ago, and got the front wheel up and then stopped/chickened out.

This thing has crazy traction on climbs.  I took it up a very steep dirt pitch with no wheel slip and no front end wheelie-action.

I rode down some steep log ramps that I wouldn't have even thought about before.  Such a confidence-inspiring bike.

I waffled on getting a new bike - was worried I wouldn't ride it or it wouldn't make any difference.  Now I'm so happy I did.  This bike was a technological improvement on many fronts - 29er wheels instead of 26, big tubeless tires with low pressure, long & low geometry, 1X gearing, 6" of enduro-grade suspension (instead of 4" of mid-grade smush), and even the hydraulic brakes were an upgrade.  Add all that up, and it feels like a different sport.

Fun!

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
7/11/19 2:52 a.m.

The one good ride I got in this spring was 15 miles in 1 1/2 hours on a 1962 flightliner. Maybe I should try a real road bike out sometime. I can't get past the stereotypes me and my bmx buddys all gave the spandex clan years ago 

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
7/11/19 5:25 a.m.

Yeah, most of those stereotypes are true. But. 

But I still put on spandex and get on a road bike, i just dont ride with those d-bags. Riding a real, well set-up road bike on smooth pavement is the closest I think I can get to human powered flight. The feeling of a light, efficient  bike is like nothing else. And the spandex is all about comfort. It really is the most comfortable thing to wear over long miles once you get over the mental block and ego issues.

Edit: and here's a shot of my current road bike setup. So damn hot and humid and rainy that I've had to retreat to the AC to try and get some rides in:

TVR Scott
TVR Scott HalfDork
7/11/19 7:30 a.m.
dropstep said:

The one good ride I got in this spring was 15 miles in 1 1/2 hours on a 1962 flightliner. Maybe I should try a real road bike out sometime. I can't get past the stereotypes me and my bmx buddys all gave the spandex clan years ago 

You know I've been through the same thing, except on mountain bikes with a friend of a friend.  I showed up for a ride andthis guy comment on me not wearing the "right" baggy shorts, and sporting a "roadie" jersey.  So not cool.  Then I was clueless enough to wear a camelbak.  So 90's.  Sheesh.

Then I kicked his ass up the climb.

Wear what you want to wear.  Wear what's comfortable.  Do ride a modern road bike, because it's an absolute joy.  If you find after 10 rides that spandex makes sense, give it a try.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
7/11/19 7:34 a.m.

I really need to take a pic of my gnarly old Schwinn and put you fancypants biker boys to shame.

Oh, and I look awesome in Spandex.

(not) WilD (Matt)
(not) WilD (Matt) Dork
7/11/19 8:30 a.m.

I'm fat and slow and I pretty much only wear spandex shorts or bibs when I ride.  On road or off.  I'm sorry, but my personal comfort takes precedence over what I'm subjecting anyone else's eyeballs to.   Honestly, the only people I regularly see not wearing spandex (even in the mountain bike parks) are younger men who are probably worried about not looking cool.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
7/11/19 8:38 a.m.

^Guilty as charged...although I've never owned any spandex so convenience is also a factor cheeky

I thought spandex was more about aero than comfort? And I guess encouraging yourself to ride faster cheeky

(not) WilD (Matt)
(not) WilD (Matt) Dork
7/11/19 9:20 a.m.
GameboyRMH said:

^Guilty as charged...although I've never owned any spandex so convenience is also a factor cheeky

I thought spandex was more about aero than comfort? And I guess encouraging yourself to ride faster cheeky

There is some truth to the aero, but even that is a comfort issue in my book.  I once wore a loose fitting shirt on a brisk 40 mile ride.  The material flapping in the breeze against my nipples over that time/distance became quite painful.  Maybe I just have sensitive nips, but I did not enjoy that.  

In terms of shorts, I've had too many issues with baggier styles.  One, they can bunch up in my gooch or shift and pinch if they are lighter material and I shouldn't need to explain why that is less than ideal.  And two, I've had loose fitting shorts get caught on my saddle in interesting and inconvenient ways.

So, that has been my personal experience and why I often rock the spandex and look like an extremely plump wannabe racer.  Everbody is different and people should wear what works for them.  Making fun of people for their choice of kit is lame either way.     

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
7/11/19 9:31 a.m.

Spandex is totally a comfort issue.  If it clings to your skin, it can't get wadded up in your nether regions.

TVR Scott
TVR Scott HalfDork
7/11/19 9:49 a.m.

Though I will point out that after the ride I like to take off my lycra as soon as possible.  Sweaty salty riding gear feels nasty and smells even worse!

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
7/11/19 10:05 a.m.
(not) WilD (Matt) said:I once wore a loose fitting shirt on a brisk 40 mile ride.  The material flapping in the breeze against my nipples over that time/distance became quite painful.  Maybe I just have sensitive nips, but I did not enjoy that.  

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
7/11/19 10:05 a.m.
(not) WilD (Matt) said:
GameboyRMH said:

There is some truth to the aero, but even that is a comfort issue in my book.  I once wore a loose fitting shirt on a brisk 40 mile ride.  The material flapping in the breeze against my nipples over that time/distance became quite painful.  Maybe I just have sensitive nips, but I did not enjoy that.  

In terms of shorts, I've had too many issues with baggier styles.  One, they can bunch up in my gooch or shift and pinch if they are lighter material and I shouldn't need to explain why that is less than ideal.  And two, I've had loose fitting shorts get caught on my saddle in interesting and inconvenient ways.

So, that has been my personal experience and why I often rock the spandex and look like an extremely plump wannabe racer.  Everbody is different and people should wear what works for them.  Making fun of people for their choice of kit is lame either way.     

What he said, all of it.

I once had a cowork give me grief for my spandex as I was headed out afterwork to a ride. I told him I was sorry that my massive manhood intimidated him, but perhaps he shouldn't be staring at my crotch so much.

I'm a fat kid and certainly the last person that you want to see in spandex, but (for me) it really is much more comfortable. If I'm commuting (only 7 miles) or just cruising around town I wear baggies, but even on a mountain bike I prefer spandex - and bib shorts specifically. I've had too may issues with baggies getting snagged on the saddle while moving around to clear obstacles and such.

I mean, by all means, wear what you're comfortable in, but if you haven't tried a good pair of padded lycra shorts and a nice jersey, you are short changing yourself just for vanity.

I even design my jerseys and shorts and sell some. - pedaltrash.com   

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
7/11/19 1:13 p.m.

I wear linears under baggies and usually a loose jersey. Personally I find them plenty comfortable and with proper MTB baggies (I have some Endura shorts), I don't ever get them snagged on the saddle(especially with a dropper seat post) or bunches.

I have been suffering from a bit of knee pain recently on my trainer setup. It is driving me a bit nuts. I have played with the saddle height and fore-aft location some and neither has fixed it. I have flat pedals so it isn't due to bad location of clipless cleats.

TVR Scott
TVR Scott HalfDork
7/11/19 2:08 p.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic :

Where on your knee is it hurting?  Front, back, along the side?  Location of pain can often help you locate the fit problem.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
7/11/19 2:14 p.m.
TVR Scott said:

In reply to 93EXCivic :

Where on your knee is it hurting?  Front, back, along the side?  Location of pain can often help you locate the fit problem.

Front right at the bottom of the knee cap and it doesn't seem to bother me on the mountain bike or BMX. More soreness and stiffness then outright pain.

I have had pretty bad runner's knee in both knees but it has largely gone away since I started biking.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
7/11/19 2:41 p.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic :

It's hard to explain, but you just pedal different on a road bike/trainer than you do on a mtn bike.  So the position of the saddle in both height and fore-aft as it relates to the pedals makes a bigger difference in comfort and joint pain.  

In other news... my new bike frame arrived at the office today.  A new Santa Cruz Megatower.  Oh boy... I test rode one last weekend and now I can't wait to get it built up.  Of course, I'm leaving on Sunday for Asheville, NC for a week, so I'm not sure how quickly I can get it built up. 

TVR Scott
TVR Scott HalfDork
7/11/19 2:48 p.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic :

Does it feel the same as the runner's knee?  I did a bunch of half-marathon training a few years ago and got a pretty wicked case of IT band syndrome. 

I can't guarantee it, but I feel like similar issues can crop up in cycling.  Mine has since gone away, and I try to do some strengthening of those side-of-the-leg muscles.  Leg lifts - both straight and bent knee - are what I do.  Searching for IT Band exercises will get suggestions.

Doing a quick search, I see there's a lot of info about cycling knee pain by people more qualified than me.  Have you had a good pro bike fit?  Maybe worth it.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
7/11/19 3:09 p.m.
Ian F said:

In reply to 93EXCivic :

It's hard to explain, but you just pedal different on a road bike/trainer than you do on a mtn bike.  So the position of the saddle in both height and fore-aft as it relates to the pedals makes a bigger difference in comfort and joint pain. 

I was kind of wondering if it was because I am in the same position for so much longer then MTB or BMX where you are moving around constantly.

TVR Scott said:

In reply to 93EXCivic :

Does it feel the same as the runner's knee?  I did a bunch of half-marathon training a few years ago and got a pretty wicked case of IT band syndrome. 

I can't guarantee it, but I feel like similar issues can crop up in cycling.  Mine has since gone away, and I try to do some strengthening of those side-of-the-leg muscles.  Leg lifts - both straight and bent knee - are what I do.  Searching for IT Band exercises will get suggestions.

Doing a quick search, I see there's a lot of info about cycling knee pain by people more qualified than me.  Have you had a good pro bike fit?  Maybe worth it.

Kind of. But it isn't hurting while I am doing exercise. Only after and it doesn't hurt when I run. My runner's knee hurt while I was exercising. 

I am also wondering if since it is a single speed on a non-smart trainer if I am mashing to hard or it is just from increasing my mileage a decent amount in the last few months.

I have thought about doing a bike fit but I kind of don't want to spend the money on a bike I plan on replacing in the not to distance future.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
7/11/19 3:28 p.m.

With a bike fitting, you are paying for a set of dimensions.  I've swapped them from bike to bike a few times with decent results.

NordicSaab
NordicSaab Dork
7/14/19 2:17 p.m.

Not much to offer the current thread, but I was able to get my $65 Specialized FSR up and running. It needed a set of brakes, cables, seat post, and seat. I probably could have made the wheels that came with it work, but I had an old set ready to go. All the parts were spares/takeoffs from old builds. So no part cost to get it going. 

It has been a long time since I have been on a "real" mountain bike. It feels like the bicycle equivelant of a monster truck. I'm looking forward to taking it out to a trail. 

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
7/14/19 10:59 p.m.

This was thrown in on a deal for a 58 scwhinn and I don't collect women's bikes so it got fresh grease and tubes before it left. It's currently a local guys daily transportation and makes me smile when I see it.

1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 17
Our Preferred Partners
jBaYV51EViIzw5rEA8je9iTej19UbaoqIQCL7UVbjcVpdOT9f2SfyeWuI1dJbZeJ