1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 25
93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
7/30/19 10:35 a.m.

What is the bike? I mean depending on what it is. I am not sure I would put much money into it.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
7/30/19 10:45 a.m.

CCM SL 2.0, a nice department store bike that I screw around on for fun:

I definitely want to keep the budget in the department store ballpark, well under the sportbike-grade budgets that are common these days.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
7/30/19 11:14 a.m.
AngryCorvair said:

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

Jeebus man, how tall are you?

Just right at 6 feet.  Frame might be a tiny bit big for me, but the thing I like about it is that I'm not all scrunched up on it.  The bike I had before this one I had put an extra length seat post on it and had it jacked to the moon to get it right.  Couldn't get the handlebars where I wanted them.  Looked silly.  It was just too small for me.

Only thing I'd change is putting some aero bars on it to get me down out of the wind on long downhills. 

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
7/30/19 12:31 p.m.
93EXCivic said:
barefootskater said:

I want a street trials bike so bad. Not willing to fork out that kind of cash for something I've never done and not sure if I'll even be interested in in six months...

Look for a used dirt jumper for cheap and add a front brake. It isn't perfect but it will give you an idea if you would like it and it will start you out cheaper and be easier to resale later.

See this is why I hate/love CL.

For sale locally, dude is asking a very reasonable $300. Dammit, I don't have much spare cash right now since I spent it all on a drumset last week. I don't even play the drums. (well)

(not) WilD (Matt)
(not) WilD (Matt) Dork
7/30/19 12:35 p.m.

UPDATE as of 8/06/19: Specialized has replaced the bike with a new one.  That is great customer service!  Frankly, it was more than I expected and I am very pleased.

This could probably go in the minor rant thread, but maybe not since it gives me an excuse to buy another bike.  Anyway, my Specialized Rockhopper died last Sunday.  It isn't even two years old, and only has 560 miles on it.  I dropped it off at the bike shop I purchased it from on Sunday, but I'm still waiting to learn if Specialized will warranty the frame.  :(

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
7/30/19 1:16 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

Ok, let me preface this by saying, I'm not trying to be elitist or bag on your bike. I totally get where you're at, nothing bad about it at all.

But... If you look at the suspension the bike, particularly the rear - there's zero dampening. It's literally just a spring. I suspect that the front fork is the same. All of that is worse for your riding experience than no suspension at all. Personally, I wouldn't spend the money to put any upgraded fork on that bike. Almost any decent fork will have some kind of dampening, and that is going to make the front end handle COMPLETELY differently from the back. It will be highly...uh...problematic.

What you're doing there is basically driving a car with the shock absorbers removed. Imagine what the average miata would handle like with just springs on all four corners.

If you really want to tinker and upgrade stuff, I don't know if that's going to be a good platform. A lot of the department store bikes use odd size components so it's hard to find any decent parts for them. You can probably pick up an older, higher-end bike for cheap used and have a better platform to build off of.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
7/30/19 2:20 p.m.

Definitely points worth considering before I dump a mod worth a third of the bike's normal price (or about 2/3 of what I paid) into it, I know it's made entirely of Chinesium. There sure seems to be damping action at both ends but I'll make sure first (and if there isn't, at least make sure it's a standard replaceable part). Here's a close-up of the shock (won't be able to take any fresh pics for a few months sadly):

Looks similar to this one:

https://www.amazon.com/FASTACE-Mountain-Bicycle-Shock-160x42mm/dp/B07P5X2H8F

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
7/30/19 2:54 p.m.
barefootskater said:

For sale locally, dude is asking a very reasonable $300. Dammit, I don't have much spare cash right now since I spent it all on a drumset last week. I don't even play the drums. (well)

See, now I totally don't understand that bike.  The distance from the saddle to pedal at the bottom of the stroke is what?  Sixteen inches?  I mean, who (other than a midget, of course) has a sixteen inch inseam?  What's the purpose of having your butt down there?  The only way it makes sense is as a fashion statement, like having baggy pants falling off your butt.

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
7/30/19 3:00 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

When ridden as a jump bike or a trials bike the seat could be removed entirely. As it is it is really only meant as a seat for the time between runs or catching your breath. Pretty useless for commuting or trail riding. Geared too low for either anyway.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
7/30/19 3:01 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

See, now I totally don't understand that bike.  The distance from the saddle to pedal at the bottom of the stroke is what?  Sixteen inches?  I mean, who (other than a midget, of course) has a sixteen inch inseam?  What's the purpose of having your butt down there?  The only way it makes sense is as a fashion statement, like having baggy pants falling off your butt.

It's because that bike's for standing on, the seat is just there to protect your butt from hitting the frame or tire. You'll want to get your butt close to that crevice for trials-style riding. Kind of like an MTB with a dropper seatpost in the lowered position.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
7/30/19 6:23 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

Hmmm.  So a bicycle that is made to be ridden in a manner and on a surface that it would never occur to me to ride a bicycle.  I think I understand.  Peculiar.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
7/31/19 6:53 a.m.
GameboyRMH said:

Definitely points worth considering before I dump a mod worth a third of the bike's normal price (or about 2/3 of what I paid) into it, I know it's made entirely of Chinesium. There sure seems to be damping action at both ends but I'll make sure first (and if there isn't, at least make sure it's a standard replaceable part). Here's a close-up of the shock (won't be able to take any fresh pics for a few months sadly):

Looks similar to this one:

https://www.amazon.com/FASTACE-Mountain-Bicycle-Shock-160x42mm/dp/B07P5X2H8F

I can't tell anything from the pic for certain, but the amazon ad refers to a "dampener shaft," which implies some sort of dampening. It never mentions how it's dampened, which is suspicious to me. I wonder if they use oil or some sort of friction dampening?

Well, I could be wrong. I've never seen a dept store shock like that with dampening, but as a GRMr I suspect you know the difference in feel between damped and undamped. Carry on!

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
7/31/19 8:13 a.m.
1988RedT2 said:
barefootskater said:

A high seat is a great way to get sent over the bars or get your nuts wrecked while dirt jumping. Also it gets in the way while doing foot off tricks like tail whips. So it basically it exists to sit on between runs. If you are never seated while pedaling there really isn't any need for a high seat.

If you think that one is weird how about this?

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
7/31/19 9:16 a.m.

In reply to ultraclyde :

I agree with all of these posts.  Save your money and put it towards a higher quality used bike.

Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
7/31/19 6:54 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

What ultraclyde and Ian said.

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 New Reader
7/31/19 8:07 p.m.

I have been riding some expensive killer bikes lately and they are amazing

1st - pinarello grevil - Killer 650b wheel size, so good on dirt

2nd - WILIER ZERO SLR - no exposed wires or????? crazy and aero lol 

3rd - Cannondale evo supersix - so clean - so fast

It is crazy the technology put into bikes. I would never spend this kind of money but it is fun to test them out.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
7/31/19 8:49 p.m.

Years ago Scott bikes showed up at the local bike store for our wednesday group ride with a trailer of bikes and turned us loose. I was riding a road bike that was the lightest production bike on the market. Before pedals and bottles/cages it was 13lbs. And retail was over $10k

Its absolutely silly how fast a bike can be that's suddenly 8lbs lighter than what you're used to. 

OTOH, the carbon shell, completely unpadded saddle left my twig and berries numb for 2 weeks. Speed has its price.

I still have the koozie they gave me - "I rode an illegal bike" because it was UCI illegal.

02Pilot
02Pilot SuperDork
8/10/19 9:15 p.m.

I finally got my beloved gaspipe Gitane pseudo-randonneur back together after far too long. I got the frame for $10 ages ago, and started building. Originally I painted it light tan, threw on a mismatched pair of wheels I had lying around, an ancient Avocet saddle, and some steel drop bars with cheap levers. I wasn't quite sure what I wanted the final product to look like, so I waited.

Then I got lucky. I then came across a Campangolo Gran Sport crankset and derailleurs in the "free stuff" box at a local bike group sale. The catch - and there had to be a catch - was that the big ring was completely shot, with teeth missing and everything. I decided it was perfect for a 1x setup, so I ground off the remaining teeth on the big ring and left it in place as a chainguard for the small ring. Also snagged from the box was a single Suntour bar end shifter, some nice alloy pedals, and a pair of perforated brake levers (I suspect they're Mafac levers, but the markings are gone). The only things I had to buy new were tires, a seatpost, and calipers. I popped on the rear derailleur with a hanger, spun on a 5 speed 14-28 freewheel that wasn't doing anything useful at the time, and I was off.

I loved riding the bike, and put many miles on it, but my cheap paint work finally caught up with me a couple years ago, and rust started to appear on the chainstays and top tube. I pulled the bike out of rotation in anticipation of repainting it, and there it sat until a couple months ago. I stripped the paint and applied some rust converter to the problem areas, then etch prime, sealer, high-build, sand, high-build, sand, paint, sand, paint, wet sand, polish. I used rattle can appliance paint, which seems fairly durable.

I decided it was due for some upgrades, so I built a new set of 700c wheels with Campagnolo hubs (I can't remember where I got them - probably in a trade at some point), CR-18 rims, and double-butted stainless spokes. I rebuilt everything that could be rebuilt - hubs, bottom bracket, freewheel, pedals, and headset. Anything shiny got cleaned and polished. On went a set of aluminum randonneur bars, leather bar tape, a new saddle, and the usual service stuff (cables, brake pads, tubes). I also mounted up a matched set of Racktime bags with a rear rack. I'm sure there are some tweaks and adjustments I'll need to make, but as of this evening it's ready to ride.

By any rational measurement, it's absolutely nothing special, but it is the best-riding bike I own. It just eats up miles (the big 700c x 32 Paselas have a lot to do with it). The limited gearing hasn't proved an issue at all (it's hilly around here, so I don't get up on the big ring that often anyway). I'm really happy to have it back.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
8/12/19 7:33 a.m.

I finally got my new trail/enduro/DH bike together last weekend.  2019 Santa Cruz Megatower.  This was take at the top of Burke Mtn in VT as we prepared to drop into a double-black downhill trail.  Nothing like jumping into the deep end for a first ride on a new bike.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
8/12/19 9:28 a.m.

OK so I've revised my upgrade plans to avoid spending too much on a platform without much potential:

- Tubeless tires only if it can be done with the current wheels, otherwise just a better tubed setup.

- Dropper seatpost

- Little stuff, like a strap-on 2nd drink holder and cushier saddle, then call it done.

Then start saving up to spend low-4-digits on a used high-end bike in a few years, a trail bike with a similar basic layout, 27.5 or 29" wheels, maybe 1x drivetrain although I think I'd miss the gearing range on pavement. 2x could be a good compromise, to me the only major downside of the 3x drivetrain is the reduced ground clearance caused by the big sprocket up front.

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
8/12/19 11:32 a.m.

In reply to Ian F :

Your work/party dynamic is high. 

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
8/12/19 11:35 a.m.

My "budget build" ride: a Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol (in carbon). Just like my cars, my bikes are also oriented around value per dollar, so this one is utilizing pretty much all parts-swap stuff. The fork has been on 3 bikes. Wheels on 2. The dropper has been on 4 bikes. Brakes nearly 5. 

Oh and Guerrilla Gravity makes their bikes, as in, manufacturers them - in Colorado. They are one of the few American made carbon full suspension bikes on the market. 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
8/12/19 11:38 a.m.
pheller said:

In reply to Ian F :

Your work/party dynamic is high. 

It's our team motto: "Team XXL - A Drinking Team with a Mountain Bike Problem"

I've heard of Gorilla Gravity, but haven't seen any of the bikes or frames yet. 

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
8/12/19 11:42 a.m.

Oh, I thought you just got off work before the ride. Button up shirt, belt above the waste with shorts. I'm surprised you aren't riding in Oxfords. cheeky

Admittedly my riding garb as of late is similarly square. 

Also, where the heck are you needing 160mm of travel in PA? You hitting up Blue Mountain or Diablo errr..Mountain Creek often?

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
8/12/19 11:49 a.m.

In reply to pheller :

The belt is low - has to be thanks to my beer gut.  The shorts need a belt because I bought them to fit over armor, but I didn't wear any for this ride (probably should have...). That jersey is one of our more subdued versions, so I tend to wear it a lot.  Our regular jersey is a rather obnoxious orange and black plaid. 

The funny part is I don't normally ride flat pedals.  And I had done an earlier ride on my other bike with clips and when I go from clips to flats I've had sketchy results.  Fortunately, this time I didn't have any incidents and did ok.

This was at Burke in VT.  I am currently working in NH so my "local" mtn is Highland Bike Park.  I do ride and Blue and Mtn Creek with some regularity when I'm home.

1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 25
Our Preferred Partners
LaAXjXn11lt60NEkWTvrCZ1cGybZj9eeMPIjzdsau1hx1KPfHEsgqIRegWGwQxdS