1 ... 23 24 25
93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
1/15/20 12:58 p.m.
Ian F said:

In reply to 93EXCivic :

I generally agree.  My current bikes are "new school": long, slack and low with a steeper seat tube.  The pedal strikes don't bother me much as I've run my suspension bikes slack and low for 20 years now, so I'm used to it. My old M-1 race bike was really low.  I probably smack the pedals a half dozen times each ride on the Primer.  

I am about to get 165mm cranks for my bike to help with it.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
1/15/20 1:13 p.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic :

I used to run 165mm cranks on my DH bikes for that reason and can see possibly installing them on the MT.  I don't know if I will go to that length on the shorter, more XC-oriented Primer, but 170mm is definitely a possibility. 

Ransom
Ransom UltimaDork
1/15/20 1:23 p.m.
Ian F said:

In reply to ultraclyde :

Hmm... maybe... but I've found with my Megatower and Primer, the length requires me to weight the front end more to get them to turn well.  Especially the Megatower - which is a really long bike.  That is usually what coaches teach these days - getting the elbows out and into the "attack position" to keep weight more forward and centered.  I know when my weight is too far back, the bike tries to roll the rear tire off the rim.

This is my experience/how I was coached as well when I did one of the BetterRide camps. The new bikes don't put much weight on the front end unless you put it there.

I still think my FS 29" Hei Hei feels super-weird circling in the parking lot. Really foreign compared to how I think a bicycle feels, but it works great on the trail.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
1/15/20 6:29 p.m.

Interesting. Guess I'm doing it wrong!

1 ... 23 24 25
Our Preferred Partners
lSN34SU9XFLz0LeV6ZC7tfr2C8Q388HU8wnyT4yNqg9O1zlXvE9ScLGUc0ZVMiHJ