1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9
Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
7/18/18 11:01 p.m.

In reply to USERNAMETAKEN :

Like Ian said... Would love to do that.

I tried to move to Durango with a friend right after high school, since it was the mountain bike capital of the world. We found out there was no work and no lodging. Kudos to my friend who managed to make it most of a year through some combination of camping and shared lodging; I chucked it in after a week or so. But Colorado made a big impression on me. The scale of riding on one mountain while watching the clouds cast shadows on the next one... And I'm in the PNW; we have mountains here!

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/19/18 6:17 a.m.

I haven't ridden much at all in several years. Decided I need to start riding again. I need to rebuild a stuck rear disk brake caliper to get my MTB ready. I sold my road bike back in 2011 or so, so will be using my cross bike I bought about 6 years ago to get some road rides in. 

Back in 2000-01 time frame I was riding about 100 miles a week, rode Seattle to Portland, and was about 60 pounds lighter than I am now. Gotta get in better shape. As the Paul Simon once said "why am I so soft in the middle when the rest of my life is so hard?"

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
7/19/18 7:10 a.m.

In reply to T.J. :

I've been getting over 100 miles per week on average for the last couple of months.  I'm still pretty soft in the middle... the older you get the harder it is to get rid of that.  I'm probably about 10 to 20 lbs heavier than I should be, depending on what I plan to do.  If I decide to get back more into XC racing, then I need to aim for around 155 from my current 175.  If I continue with more of a DH/Enduro focus, then 165 would be more optimal as I would need more upper body strength.  As much as I love the gravity side of mountain biking, my build (5' 10" & relatively thin bone structure) is better for a XC racer.

Right now I currently doing an 1-hour per day in July challenge sponsored by one of the bike shops I go to.  I actually started on June 30, so I'm at 19 days straight (still have to do a ride after work today).  My legs are really starting to feel it. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/19/18 7:31 a.m.

In reply to Ian F :

We are similar heights and ages, but I am a good bit over 200 pounds right now. Haven't been on a scale in a while, but I estimate I'm about 220 pretty much all in my belly....so, to even get down to something like 180 would be a big improvement. I really used to like climbing, but the only elevation changes around where I live are bridges. There is a fairly local MTB trail I need to check out. Nothing like the trails I had other places I've lived I suspect, but it will be fun to get out in the woods again.

USERNAMETAKEN
USERNAMETAKEN Reader
7/19/18 8:27 a.m.
Ian F said:

Hot damn!  I'd love to do that some day.

It's a fun ride.  Kind of bipolar - you're either slogging uphill at 6-10 mph or blasting downhill at 35-40 mph.  There's very little cruising along.

Your Colnago would be so excited!  Just the ride for a bike like that.

Funny, though, my dad and I did the Maine Lighthouse Ride century last fall.  We flew in with our Colorado-mountain road bikes - compact cranks, 32 tooth rear ends, and hydraulic discs.  Definitely a bit different build than the typical New England bikes!

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
7/19/18 12:14 p.m.

My Colnago was geared as a classic Euro road bike with a 12-23 8 spd cassette.  I recently installed a 13-27 cassette to make it better for my out-of-shape legs and the short but sometimes steep climbs on my route.  The side effect is I now spend a lot more time in the big ring now as the small ring is too badly cross-chained for flat road cruising at 18-20 mph. 

But long-ass 20+ mile climbs... I'm not sure my 39-27 gearing would be low enough.  

USERNAMETAKEN
USERNAMETAKEN Reader
7/19/18 1:33 p.m.

In reply to Ian F :

I had a Cervelo Soloist Carbon (mean bike) for several years, and my first couple Triples I did with a 53/39 crank and a 12/28.  That was brutal.  I switched it to a 50/34 compact the next year, and that helped a lot.  The 11-speed 11/32 gearing has been a revelation.  There's always another gear!

At some point - when I'm not buying lots of car parts - I'd like to build a 1x11 or 1x12 road bike.  They're starting to show up here and there - especially on cross bikes.  I'm also sort of fascinated with the idea of a flat bar road bike.  Add in some bar-ends for climbing, and that could be a smooth comfortable ride.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
7/19/18 1:46 p.m.
USERNAMETAKEN said:

In reply to Ian F :

a 53/39 crank and a 12/28.  That was brutal.  I switched it to a 50/34 compact the next year, and that helped a lot.  The 11-speed 11/32 gearing has been a revelation.  There's always another gear!

my 1970's Leri Mirella would be the wrong choice.  53/42 and 12/25, LOL.  It's flat here in southeast MI. 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
7/19/18 1:51 p.m.

I'm a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to road bikes.  My Colnago is still running Campy 8 spd.  But I'll admit I've been looking at building a new road bike with disc brakes.  The tricky part for me is the requirement to stay with Campagnolo shifters.  While Campy has recently introduced road disc brakes, I am more inclined to try the TRP cable-hydraulic calipers.  A friend has them on his touring bike and they are the first cable-pull disc brakes I've tried that actually feel "right".  I have a GT Grade gravel/road bike with SRAM shifters and don't like them.  I already know from past experience I don't care for Shimano shifters.  After 25 years with Campy, I don't want to change.

The only flat bar I'd consider is the old Scott AT4-Pro integrated bars.  I had a set on a mountain bike I had set up for touring and they work well.  

Image result for scott at4 pro handlebars

It would be cool if someone reissued them to fit modern stems. 

I don't know about 1x on a road bike.  I just spend too much time in the big ring and while I don't often spin out a 53-13, I've come close a couple of times.  There is one descent I ride where I have to be on the brakes to keep form rear-ending cars in front of me.  I've I have clear road in front of me I'll usually hit 45 or so where most cars rarely go above 35 (it's a weird curve under a bridge, so it's easier for me to take it faster).

USERNAMETAKEN
USERNAMETAKEN Reader
7/19/18 6:10 p.m.

I hear the "traditionalist" comments a lot with road discs, but they work so much better.  I just about died a few years ago descending after the Mt Evans Hillclimb (28 mile climb, 7000 ft gain).  My hands could hardly close on the levers.  Not with the discs - one finger will do!

I remember those AT4 bars.  I came of age in the early-90's MTB explosion, and saw all that crazy stuff go down.  Loved it all, even the 3D violet!

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
7/19/18 6:29 p.m.

Oh I'm all about disc brakes - I am a DH racer, after all. Mainly for when I have to ride in the rain rather than really long descents, which we don't have much of here. I've never lacked for stopping power or had any fading issues with the Record brakes on the Colnago. Plus, from DH racing I've learned how not to drag the brakes as much.  They're either on or off. For me it's just finding a set that will work with Campy shifters.  

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
7/20/18 11:19 a.m.
Ian F said:

I'm a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to road bikes.  My Colnago is still running Campy 8 spd.  But I'll admit I've been looking at building a new road bike with disc brakes.  The tricky part for me is the requirement to stay with Campagnolo shifters.  While Campy has recently introduced road disc brakes, I am more inclined to try the TRP cable-hydraulic calipers.  A friend has them on his touring bike and they are the first cable-pull disc brakes I've tried that actually feel "right".  I have a GT Grade gravel/road bike with SRAM shifters and don't like them.  I already know from past experience I don't care for Shimano shifters.  After 25 years with Campy, I don't want to change.

The only flat bar I'd consider is the old Scott AT4-Pro integrated bars.  I had a set on a mountain bike I had set up for touring and they work well.  

Image result for scott at4 pro handlebars

It would be cool if someone reissued them to fit modern stems. 

I don't know about 1x on a road bike.  I just spend too much time in the big ring and while I don't often spin out a 53-13, I've come close a couple of times.  There is one descent I ride where I have to be on the brakes to keep form rear-ending cars in front of me.  I've I have clear road in front of me I'll usually hit 45 or so where most cars rarely go above 35 (it's a weird curve under a bridge, so it's easier for me to take it faster).

The little lady has TRP Hy-Ryd brakes on her CX since the grouppo was pre hydro disk (well, pre affordable hydro disk) and its great.  It honestly has the best brake feel out of our 3 disk brake bikes, my Crux with Force 1 Hydro Disk (which is friggin tight, 1x is the way to fly for me!) and my Fat Boy which has upgraded Maguras on it - also nice but not as nice as the Hy Ryds.  Only thing I dont like about the Hy-Ryds is they are very bulky compared to the Force calipers, but its somewhat expected because they have their own reservoir.  

I did the flat bar road bike for 2 years, had a nice Litespeed that got single speed and flat bars.  Was fun to ride but I didn't really dig the skinny tires in town because Milwaukee roads are like riding on the surface of the moon.  It was super light though.  

Current fun ride/bar hopper is a very old rigid fork GT Avalanche with newer Bontrager drop bars and stem and Ultegra 2x9 on it.  Still on the knobbies of course.  Its a hoot and I get complements on it all over. Even looks the part, most drop bar mountain bikes end up looking silly because geezers set the bars up above the seat, but if the bars are slammed like Jesus intended, they look really good.  

monknomo
monknomo Reader
7/20/18 11:52 a.m.

In reply to 93gsxturbo :

That's a nice setup, and an approach to a cross-type bike I hadn't thought of.  I've got a pretty good rigid frame mountain bike that I mostly ride on the road...  I wonder what it would look like?

Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
7/20/18 1:23 p.m.

EDIT: Sorry, I know this is supposed to be our own bikes, but we got onto drop bars on mountain bikes, and Tomac was The Man on that one...

USERNAMETAKEN
USERNAMETAKEN Reader
7/20/18 6:53 p.m.

In reply to Ransom :

Love the Tomac pic.  With the Tioga Kevlar wheel and the original Manitou fork - 1.25" of travel and all!  Classic iron there.

That was back when he was racing Pro-Tour in Europe and he wanted his MTB to match his road bike.  I guess no one could touch him on the descents in the Alps - he'd just blast down them in a full two-wheel drift.  Crazy skills there!

travellering
travellering HalfDork
7/20/18 8:02 p.m.

In reply to 93gsxturbo :

It can't hurt the compliment level if the bartape, bottle cages, and logos match the Viper I'm sure you bring it to rides with....

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
7/22/18 10:25 a.m.

No bike rack on the viper unfortunately.

There is a Cannondale Beast of the East on the local craigs plus a guy selling a set of drop bars and Ultegra 3x9 shifters.  Got the gears turning this morning.

Crxpilot
Crxpilot Reader
7/23/18 11:20 p.m.

Upgrade or replace?

I'm shopping for a good replacement 26" suspension fork for my 22 year old Gary Fisher.  Everything I really want is in the $200+ range.  Everything I'm finding is used and needs to be shipped to me.   After the fork I'd like to install a shorter stem and wider bars.  I'd also like to try wider tires (2.3"+). 

Or do I park the Fisher and buy one of these; https://www.bikenashbar.com/cycling/bikes-frames/mountain-bikes/nashbar-275-quot%3B-disc-mountain-bike-nb-27md  This has a lot of the specs I like, and with modern tire choices, for $330 all in.

I'm a casual trail rider and will never race.  The Fisher is a pretty steel XC racer from back in the day but can feel pretty stretched out.  As I type this I'm considering selling the Fisher and going for a better 27.5" bike.  I'm not super nostalgic.

Any benefit to keeping the oldie singletrack racer over going to a new style trail bike with current geometry? 

Erich
Erich UltraDork
7/24/18 6:13 a.m.

In reply to Crxpilot :

If you're looking at trail riding, there's not much a classic rigid MTB does better than the modern 27.5 bikes. Might make a better road commuter?

Furious_E
Furious_E SuperDork
7/24/18 3:51 p.m.

This discussion is relevant to my interests.

I need to get my ass back into shape and I've been shopping mountain bikes the past few weeks for the first time in a long time - my last decent bike was stolen at some point during my teenage years, circa mid-2000s - and holy crap has there been a lot of development since then. 29ers, 27.5, fat bikes, "plus" size tires, raked out head tubes and "slack" geometry....I've over-analyzed and over-researched the hell out of all this and need to be reasoned with. 

My initial thought was just to find something cheap and used on Craigslist from a reputable brand and rock that, but most of what I am finding in that category is so far out of date at this point that I don't think it's worth bothering with, and what does have at least some of the new and modern features I'd want isn't really cheap enough to be enticing. The pace of development seems to be such that even bikes just a few years old are behind the curve in some way or another, unless they were $$$ when new (which means still going for $$ used.) 

My latest thinking is maybe what makes the most sense is buying a new, lower end hard tail model that's maybe a bit compromised in terms of quality of the running gear, but still has the latest geometry and ability to fit 27.5 plus sized tires. That should (correct me if I'm wrong) allow me the flexibility to fit 27.5, 29, or plus sized 27.5 tires, depending upon use and availability going forward, and I can always upgrade components to higher spec as they wear out. Something along the lines of this. Seems like maybe the best compromise between not spending a ridiculous amount of money up front, but also not ending up with something I'll just want to upgrade shortly anyway. 

Use would be mixed. There are a few trails within a couple miles ride on pavement from my house that are on the milder side and would make for a nice after work loop, plus a ton more within a longer ride or short drive that run the gamut from fire roads to nasty, rock and root covered single track. 

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Dork
7/24/18 4:09 p.m.

In reply to Furious_E :

I like Diamondbacks hardtails. Their entry level full suspension stuff is pretty great for the money too (atroz and recoil). My mountain bike is an older (2010) giant and even though I'd love something newer I don't get to use it enough to really justify it. Have to sell the road bike before I get anything else anyways. So far all I've gotten is low ballers and scammer's. 

Erich
Erich UltraDork
7/24/18 4:45 p.m.

That Diamondback above looks pretty good for the price. I'm a big fan of the 27.5 bikes, I find it to be the right size for me - the 29ers out there are too slow to accelerate and the wheelbase too long for me, but boy do they just roll over everything without much effort. 26ers are maneuverable but take a lot more skill to get over logs and rough rock sections. 27.5 is the sweet spot.

Personally I'm really wanting to spend a ton of money on a Crust Evasion or Jones Plus SWB - a steel rigid frame that fits big (not quite fat) 27.5+ tires and is just as adept at all kinds of riding, from road to trail.

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Dork
7/25/18 4:46 a.m.

Are there any good (and still relevant) bike classifieds? I have my road bike posted on a ton of Facebook groups, and on Craigslist. Anyone got any other ideas?

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
7/25/18 5:03 a.m.

Count me as another aging guy who used to ride more and has pudged up. Between business travel and rainy weather keeping me off the bike I've gained about 20lbs over the last 2 years. This weekend I put new bar tape on the road bike and wiped the cobwebs off the camp and commute bike. Got ta get rolling again. I've been trying to take the MTB out on trail twice a week but life keeps getting in the way.

One issue I'm having is all the friends I used to ride with have stopped. Most of the people riding these days arent really people I'd choose to spend time with socially. They're nice enough, just not people I bond with. I never realized what a huge difference the friends made.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
7/25/18 6:25 a.m.

In reply to MazdaFace :

Pinkbike?  MTBR.com?  Local cycling forums? 

I agree selling stuff is annoying.  It's the main reason I have a giant pile of crap in my house I need to unload.

In reply to ultraclyde :

I agree. I'm fortunate that I have a couple of core groups of mtn bikers to ride with.  Some I've been riding with for over half my life now - I'm going on vacation to VT with them next week.  I basically have two sets of biking friends the "Philly XC group" and the "DC/NY DH group" who are basically my teammates. Rarely do they intertwine as only one of the Philly peeps is much of a DH rider.   Road riding I tend to do alone. 

I've been riding a lot recently, but it has been at the expense of my car projects.   Oh to be retired...

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9
Our Preferred Partners
n6pinPqnmae8LkmRlg4zwfb7z1yXw55HefSMkmQeRvPX43LrOONJRXiZLFBdmaBX