1 2
bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/5/19 10:55 a.m.

One option is to dig it down about 8 inches and use 6 inch minus or six inch clear, and then top dress with a minimum of 3/4 inch fractured rock. Has to be angular so it knits together. 

The other option is to rent a dump trailer and a double drum roller, and go buy a coupler yards of asphalt from your local plant. They will often do cash deals. Asphalt is very easy to lay down. You just need an apron maybe 6 or 8 feet long so the driving wheels of vehicles leaving are no longer on gravel.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
2/5/19 12:39 p.m.

City public works just left. They admit its a drainage problem, and agreed to try to solve it, as the issue is on the discharge side where a tree fell and crushed the pipe. 

They also said that if this and fresh gravel dont fix it, they will pour an apron.

They're supposed to be here tomorrow morning to take care of it.

I may still pour an apron regardless.  How hard can it be?

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
2/5/19 12:45 p.m.

Your tax dollars already paid for it, let them handle it. That is probably their right of way and you shouldn't mess with it anyway. Behind the Culvert I would Define a ditch between the slope and your driveway going into the culvert.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/5/19 1:20 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

City public works just left. They admit its a drainage problem, and agreed to try to solve it, as the issue is on the discharge side where a tree fell and crushed the pipe. 

They also said that if this and fresh gravel dont fix it, they will pour an apron.

They're supposed to be here tomorrow morning to take care of it.

I may still pour an apron regardless.  How hard can it be?

Depends on how nice you want it. It you just want a chunk of hard gray semi flat material that isnt finished, or as we call it here a rat slab, its fairly easy or as easy as doing something with a material thats 2 tons a cubic yard.

If you want it nice, youll need tools. A bullfloat some poles, id recommend a fresno and some weights to densify the surface. Youll need a joiner, an edger, a finishing broom for the nice broom finish, a mag float, some laydown trowels and some rubber boots and gloves. The city might frown on you putting rebar in your slab incase they have to take out the culvert in the future but if not youll need rebar and a way to cut and tie it together. Concrete also cost $135 a cubic yard here and a lot of companies have a short yard premium under 4 yards.....which ends up being you almost buying 4 yards anyway.

This wouldnt exactly be cheap at all, and if youve never done concrete......its not gonna look great. Concrete is a lot harder than it looks (my day job has been concrete for last 21 years)

Dusterbd13-michael
2/5/19 1:42 p.m.

So, skip concrete or pay the man. Got it.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/5/19 10:48 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

So, skip concrete or pay the man. Got it.

I think thats the best idea

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
2/6/19 11:48 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Can we see pictures when the city is done?

Dusterbd13-michael
2/6/19 11:49 a.m.

Sure!

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
9/21/19 4:28 a.m.

paving canoe?

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
9/21/19 5:22 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

I hear that concrete is a frequent canoe construction material

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso Dork
9/21/19 6:19 a.m.

I know this was bumped by a canoe, but did you ever get this sorted? 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
9/21/19 11:43 a.m.

So all the water that comes off the roof, goes down the lawn and washes out the driveway?  You need a trench or swale to run along side the driveway, dumping into the ditch or under the drive.

Dusterbd13-michael
9/21/19 11:53 a.m.

Im still having issues, but the city redid some of the drainage from uphill, and the far side of my ditch pipe. Slowed down the gravel loss. To have an apron poured just isn't financially viable 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
9/21/19 3:35 p.m.

No apron, fix the problem and go crush ‘r run.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
u5pDfxItuIEXhrKYo2lVJ1RXwIK53catx7X1hQFmbpXLOZGMjABSuTbhyhAhCotP