1 2 3
Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/9/15 10:26 a.m.

Sorry for the delay everyone. Everything should be up and running by the end of the day on Wed. I have the day off and everyone else in my house will be at school.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/9/15 10:55 a.m.

I was busy all last week anyway. Got the case I need to fit the hard drives I'll be using for this - a very nice case that a company was just throwing away in fact.

GameboyRMH
11/22/15 9:06 p.m.

Finally got my storage array together, RAID5 as a somewhat safer way of combining drive space, 500 drivemaker's gigabytes which works out to 465GiB.

When everyone moves up to a new minimum size - like everyone getting to 1TB - we can safely increase the per-user allotment.

GameboyRMH
3/18/16 10:18 a.m.

Update: got a pretty quick (and should-be reliable) FTTH connection that I'll be hooking up to the network this weekend, so I can run both the introducer and helper servers. This is gonna get going soon!

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/18/16 10:31 a.m.

I apologize. The server I have had an issue with the motherboard had an issue. I have gotten a new board and got the OS reinstalled on it.

GameboyRMH
3/18/16 10:53 a.m.

No big deal, I wouldn't have had much time to work on it before now anyway. Now Christmas and the first racing events of the year are out of the way and I have some free time.

GameboyRMH
5/16/16 6:08 p.m.

Just thought I'd update, I haven't forgotten about the project or even had much of a shortage of time to work on it. I got the FTTH connection and it is quite fast but also quite far from reliable. All FTTH customers from this provider in my area are having reliability problems, my connection has been horribly unreliable. Good thing it's quick when it works.

Also it's on a large-scale NAT, which means I can't host any services, breaking all of my remote access and making it impossible for me to do anything with this. In the next couple of weeks I should be able to get a public IP address, and then once the reliability problems are ironed out I can get going again.

On a side note, here's some useful info for those of you looking to store backups of Linux machines, here's how you can back up your files' ACLs and XATTRs onto the Tahoe-LAFS filesystem which only supports simple FAT-like metadata:

https://superuser.com/questions/247689/backup-file-attributes-restore-them-later

GameboyRMH
2/23/17 10:08 a.m.

Another update. Looks like I'm stuck on a large-scale NAT for good so I can't take part in this. But a business has launched that operates on exactly the same principle:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/02/23/storj_labs_open_source_cloud_storage/

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
2/23/17 10:49 a.m.

Fascinating.

They need the option of "I don't want to deal with currency. Allocate X space on my drive in exchange for Y space in the cloud."

scardeal
scardeal SuperDork
2/23/17 1:32 p.m.

If it's just for backups, I just put together a CrashPlan server, but I don't have enough storage to really share at this point.

GameboyRMH
2/26/21 7:48 a.m.

I've since set up a VPS to act as a gateway for the permanently NATed network and added a server on a public IP, so I could get back to this...but then I also have 2 backup locations now so I have less need for it...

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KtU1KgtnktrQ8NjpOsLfJnv6YNXfx49LZa0b6wfKF3O2NBiSLIXkv316Irl5X3Iy