1 2 3 ... 16
Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/2/20 11:56 a.m.

Welcome one and all to the Official GRM Forum Model Car Challenge Contest!

Unlike past build challenges, this is an actual "contest", with specific classes and prizes based on the favorites of the hosts. There are two official classes, and you may enter either one or both and as many or few times as you want. Any model you want to build should hopefully fall within one of the classes and any scale is allowed, from HO (1/87) through the big 1/12 scale kits. If you have already started a kit, that is okay, just please no previously completed models. Please post progress pics in this thread. Official entry photos of the completed kits due by Midnight PDT Sunday August 30th, 2020.

"Racecar Class" as hosted by BenB and ZackM - Any competition car of any sort, including fantasy/what-if/alternative, please post a photo of the inspiration along with the build. Build a short track car with your own livery, make your own Chapparel 2Z, or build one of the racing legends. Ben and Zack will each pick a winner. Additionally Grassroots Motorsports will be giving a $20 gift card to the GRM Store to the class winner!

"Replica Class" as hosted by Saron81 and Aaron_King - Any real 1:1 car of any non-competition type. Post at least 1 photo of the 1:1 car along with your build. Can be a custom, hot rod, street machine, factory stock, whatever, just find the real car to replicate. Saron and Aaron will each pick a winner. Additionally Grassroots Motorsports will be giving a $20 gift card to the GRM Store to the class winner!

"Best Paint" as hosted by Javelin - The best paint finish will get it's own award (Your choice less the RX7)! Additionally Grassroots Motorsports will be giving a $20 gift card to the GRM Store to the class winner!

Overall "Best in Show" - Grassroots Motorsports Magazine will be giving a $50 gift card to the GRM Store to the overall Best in Show!

Prizes donated by Saron81, Aaron_King, BenB, ZackM, Javelin, and Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Starts today, Sunday August 2nd 2020, and runs 4 weeks until Sunday August 30th 2020. 

Lights out and away they go!

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
8/2/20 1:26 p.m.

Oh hellz yeah! laugh

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/2/20 5:23 p.m.

I'm in, looking or a kit right now 

ZackM
ZackM New Reader
8/2/20 5:27 p.m.

I am in. I got a kit on the shelf for racecar class!

Zack

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie Reader
8/2/20 5:28 p.m.

Entering the McLaren in Racecar Class.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/2/20 8:18 p.m.

Oh my. Too many choices. Should have stopped buying kits. In before the lock. No wait, that's not right!

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
8/2/20 8:27 p.m.

I've got many race car kits I could build for this, but I keep finding out that it takes me a long time to do custom stuff on most of my builds, so I need to pick one that already has most of the race car bits included. This kit should be perfect:

This is from the previous round of rereleases for the "Modified Stocker" line; they're coming out with them again as of 2020. Each of these is slightly different, and most/all of them are modified versions of stock tooling that they opened up the wheelwells on and added race car parts to.

So far I only did a little bit of work on this kit back about a month or two ago; I put the engine together and a bit of body work to remove some emblems and such, then put some paint on it that needs sanded and covered with more coats.

Oh, and the kit tires are big ol' boonie slicks; I know that some cars used these in some parts of the country, but I'm swapping them for more reasonably-sized NASCAR slicks to get the look that I want.

Some reference photos, for inspiration:

8/2/20 9:52 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

I am excite!

solfly
solfly HalfDork
8/3/20 4:07 a.m.

I've got a mid 60s Mustang kit and a 71 Hemi Cuda kit. Might see what I can do for the racecar class with one of those.  Will have to see if they're complete.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/3/20 4:46 a.m.

In reply to slowbird :

Those are fun kits, I did the Olds a few years ago:

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
8/3/20 5:56 a.m.

How timely on the 'stock build of an actual vehicle' category. I've been sitting on a kit for over two decades to replicate a vehicle my father used to own and just pulled it out last week to start on it. smiley Details after I get some photos.

BenB (Forum Supporter)
BenB (Forum Supporter) Reader
8/3/20 10:01 a.m.

I haven't decided, yet. I have a Revell Reynard I need to finish and a Tamiya Porsche 956 I'd like to start. I'll post a pic when I finally choose the victim. 

8/3/20 10:43 a.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

I believe you suggested that class laugh

I have a 1960 Impala kit to replicate my grandfather's current car and I plan on giving it to him when it's done.

ZackM
ZackM New Reader
8/3/20 12:09 p.m.

I have a e30 m3 kit started. While spraying the clear I annoying grabbed some pearl white gloss coat (same can) and ruined my nice paint and decals! So I am stripping it, and will likely put some generic race car decals on it to finish it off. 

I started my Grp. A Starion last night, I will grab some progress pics tonight. 

Zack

solfly
solfly HalfDork
8/3/20 3:28 p.m.

Might do the Mustang up as an autocross car

8/3/20 4:17 p.m.

In reply to ZackM :

Oh man, that pearl clear is so cool though!

ZackM
ZackM New Reader
8/3/20 5:03 p.m.

In reply to Javelin (Forum Supporter) :

Yeah but it was over the decals so it just looked horrid. 

Zack

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie Reader
8/3/20 5:09 p.m.
solfly said:

Do it as a vintage Trans Am car. 

ZackM
ZackM New Reader
8/3/20 5:11 p.m.

It will have to end up with some sort of fantasy livery now that my decals are trashed. But here are some interior and chassis shots of the M3 coming together. 

I really like using the dark primers to add more contrast to the paint on things like interior and the differential etc. Dark primer with a light coat of metallic leaves you with a great look. 

Zack

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
8/3/20 5:17 p.m.

If I can find the time I'm gonna attempt to enter. Tonight's homework: find the kit! Pretty sure it's in the basement somewhere. 

8/3/20 5:20 p.m.

In reply to ZackM :

Man that is super clean! Good idea on the primer making different tones, the armor guys do that.

Can you find another set of decals from a vendor or on ebay? I mean a fantasy livery is cool, too.

solfly
solfly HalfDork
8/3/20 5:21 p.m.
Snowdoggie said:
solfly said:

Do it as a vintage Trans Am car. 

I don't have a stockpile of stuff so I'm not sure if that's feasible. I'll inventory over the next couple days and decide. I'm also doing this for the first time in 20+ years so I don't want to go too crazy and not finish on time.

ZackM
ZackM New Reader
8/3/20 5:31 p.m.

I have done some looking, most of the sets cost nearly what I paid for the kit. So I think I will do some door numbers and some generic sponsor type decals and call it a day. If I didn't do a the yellow interior I would have had some more options. All well, I still like the looks of the car and it will look nice with a simple paint scheme. 

Zack

8/3/20 6:34 p.m.

In reply to ZackM :

I have a big pile of decals in my spares. Looking for anything particular? Car still yellow? I can send some your way.

ZackM
ZackM New Reader
8/3/20 6:40 p.m.

Yeah its still yellow. I am going to see what I got tonight. If nothing looks good I will hit you up. 

Zack

1 2 3 ... 16

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AyarStSYSH9v7Pqezyx93lRt5jR2bN1btGXocg8WK5YBD2UJqbyXgTZYm4SI61W6