1 ... 12 13 14 15 16
slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
9/2/20 11:20 a.m.

I can't pick a best of show, there's too many good ones. I'm gonna say that the best of show is: all of you, for participating. wink

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie HalfDork
9/2/20 12:02 p.m.

I like the Jeep and the dirt track Fords. And where did he ever find a Volvo kit?

Benswen
Benswen New Reader
9/2/20 1:18 p.m.
Snowdoggie said:

I like the Jeep and the dirt track Fords. And where did he ever find a Volvo kit?

Hobby Link Japan, although it was pre-Rona so it wasn't so expensive.

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/2/20 10:51 p.m.

For me personally, the racecars were ZackM's Subaru, BenSwen's Volvo, and Saron81's Monte Carlo.

The replicas were vwcorvette's 64 Vette, ddavidv's CD-5, and Claff's NA Miata.

With TurnerX19's Lotus 25 best in show.

ZackM
ZackM New Reader
9/3/20 1:39 p.m.

This one is probably going to slow me down for a while. 

DVA models 1/43 scale Cadillac LMP. Resin and photo etch for the entire kit. I just starting cleaning up parts and stuff last night. Great fitment of the resin parts so far, and extreme detail. 

I may have to break down and use a magnifyer for some of this.....quarter pictured for scale.

Zack

solfly
solfly HalfDork
9/3/20 3:00 p.m.

I like the Earnhardt car and the Impala the most. Everything you guys built is awesome and I hope to have mine look half as good if I keep at it.

solfly
solfly HalfDork
9/4/20 11:24 a.m.

What's the September theme?

9/4/20 11:40 a.m.
solfly said:

Break time? Quick Build? Finish projects?

October is going to be build a Challenge car.

ZackM
ZackM New Reader
9/4/20 12:11 p.m.

Are we announcing the winners and such for this round? 

Zack

9/4/20 12:18 p.m.

In reply to ZackM :

I am waiting to hear back form the guys hosting the replica classes! We have some overlap so I'll PM everyone so we can sort it out.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
9/4/20 12:22 p.m.

I am a little disappointed in the total number of comments/ votes cast. I see only the participants plus Duke. I was hoping the larger community would view and vote, especially since GRM offered prize sponsorship.

9/4/20 1:13 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

That too. Bump the results thread for more looks?

Saron81
Saron81 HalfDork
9/4/20 1:31 p.m.

I tried to send a PM to Aaron to get his thoughts on the replica class so we could pick a 1-2-3, but the system doesn't like my Yahoo address. I've got the Hay's TBird ready to ship! 

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
9/4/20 4:03 p.m.

I'm astounded/disappointed the regular community isn't following us. sad How many of us started our car lives building these things before we could ever drive?

solfly
solfly HalfDork
9/4/20 8:05 p.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:
solfly said:

Break time? Quick Build? Finish projects?

October is going to be build a Challenge car.

Finish a stalled one would be good for me. I'll do the 60 Chevy truck.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/4/20 8:11 p.m.

Off to the 1:1 car's owner tomorrow. He has no idea. Can't wait.

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
9/4/20 9:09 p.m.

In reply to vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) :

Giving someone a hand-built replica of something important to them is a uniquely satisfying experience.  Back when I was building planes, I built several for friends, relatives and neighbors.  I built an F-105 for my best friend's dad for his 50th.  He actually got a bit teared up when I gave it to him, although I suspect part of that was people he knew who flew them into Vietnam and never came back.  The only sort of strange reaction I ever got was a display combo of a large scale ACES II ejection seat and small scale A-10 I built for a neighbor as a retirement gift.  (He was the egress systems shop chief at a local ANG base)  I could tell he liked it, but as he looked over the A-10, all the sudden his nose kind of wrinkled up and he said, half under his breath "Oh no".  I knew the plane was the problem and wondered if I had made so major screw up on the assembly or paint.  Finally, I asked him if something was wrong.  He said, "Yeah, the tail number".  (We had built a replica of one of the planes from his squadron)  I told him we had verified the tail number against one of the planes on the ramp.  Then he burst out laughing and said "I can't believe you actually saw that thing out on the ramp.  It pretty much had it's own permanent bay in the maintenance hanger."  Apparently, this particular plane was a "hanger queen", which everyone in the squadron hated and wanted sent to the "bone yard".  I told him we could repaint the tail and put down a different tail number.  He said "No way!  I spent a good part of my career trying to keep that thing flying, it's perfect!"  

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
9/4/20 10:05 p.m.

Nowhere as good as the plane story above, but back when I built kits pretty regularly and was actually better at it than I am today I would build models of my friends' cars. My one good high school friend had a '67 GTO I duplicated from an MPC kit. I even added the vinyl top. He had that car back in the early to mid 1990s. He later sold it because he got an opportunity to buy a convertible of the same year. Anyway, my model kit STILL sits in his house to this day in one of those Jo-Han cases. And it still looks great!

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/5/20 12:03 p.m.

I think I made his day. So happy to present it to him.

solfly
solfly HalfDork
9/5/20 1:29 p.m.

Awesome!

9/5/20 7:34 p.m.

In reply to vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) :

That's so cool!!

ZackM
ZackM New Reader
9/7/20 5:21 p.m.

Since there is not much going on in here....I did a thing over the last week. 

Zack

9/7/20 5:48 p.m.

In reply to ZackM :

You forgot the banana for scale!

9/7/20 6:48 p.m.

Working on results guys, I need to hear back from Saron and Aaron on the replica class 1/2/3 and an alternate from Zack and Ben.

I hope to announce the winners tonight, tomorrow at the latest!

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
9/7/20 10:17 p.m.

In reply to Javelin (Forum Supporter) :

He only needs a banana seed for scale on that one. Seriously great 1/43 job.

1 ... 12 13 14 15 16

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tJYDo8Im7yz69VDhhzpFOkfSiOcMNbOQLAIhhvUGGni3aJOPkAp6W40t7htQXaD9