1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24
Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/21/20 8:36 a.m.
wawazat said:

Glad you liked and needed the Stanley knife and blades plus the hex and Torx key sets Jav.  I knew the Hot Wheels car would be appreciated too.  It was well loved when I was a kid (early restomod???) and one of HUNDREDS of redlines, early Matchbox and Lindsey's I have from the 1960's.  All were well loved and none are packaged and pristine but that's OK to me.

Would you like the redline back after I restored it? If so, any requests on how you want it done? Your whole box was awesome! Thank you!

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/21/20 8:57 a.m.
psteav said:

Yikes.  I admit that I received my box like two weeks ago, and only got mine out yesterday.   

BUT....funny E36 M3.  I think this might be a first.  

Pinchvalve, huh?  What are the odds I'd get the same guy who I sent a package to last year?  (Seriously, anyone want to do the math?)

In answer to your next question....

Yes, a drill index and a barefoot dimmer switch cover that I sent to him last year.  I'm 99% sure this was a complete accident.    

Bill, is this the first case of accidental GRM New Years regifting?  Regardless, I've passed both things on to my victim.  

There were also some random jeep suspension parts, stickers, a sweet throwing star that I'm sure I'm going to misuse, some header wrap, and a nice tire gauge.  

Thanks, pinchvalve!

I do believe that is a first!

Last year, Clockwork Garage got the same giftee two years in a row but we caught it as I was still handing out assignments and were able to get it changed before the game started.

As the game progresses, and we get more and more repeat offenders, I think this is something we might start seeing more of.  I'm hoping it'll add another element to the shenanigans where someone occasionally gets to fire back at their gifter from last year.  laugh

Good times.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/21/20 3:36 p.m.
wawazat said:

Hmmm, to continue (apparently user error on my part)

Various methods of illumination and clamping

THE DUKE!

Soldering iron will be used for sure.

<Spock/ON> FASTENATING! <Spock/OFF)

Please note Porsche gum band (Pittsburgh reference) this is what tipped me off to who my secret Santa was...and the GM stuff :D

Further details with the Porsche bracelet or oh so Germanic management.  Let the feelings of pure WTF wash over you when reading the comments on the card.  Surprised Jeff was able to take this off!

More management methods and wisdom nuggets!

Lighted socket, chromey boi, and lanyards which will be placed in the car cooler!  

Thanks Jeff!

Was wondering what happened. Glad you got it. The big hook thing is the tool for pulling the cap off wheel. It's dangerous when you get a local GRM member for this game, you nearly ended up with an engine block on your porch...

Greg Smith
Greg Smith Dork
1/21/20 5:42 p.m.

ARG! I'm going to try this again. Posting for my phone because that's where the pictures are, which has made it easier in the past, but this time around I lost the post halfway through.

My box arrived today!

And yes, it is better late than never. I know I was one of the last sending offenders last year, so a little justice was served in this case... No spectacular opening just my everyday carry handy dandy pocket knife.

Things were packed in pretty tightly, certainly enough so that nothing punctured the cans of liquid refreshment...

The pen is there just to keep them for rolling. It seems the kitchen table isn't quite level where it's currently sitting.

A very nearly identical looking metal box with many many drill bits which will be handy.

As well as a barefoot switch for high beams which nobody else in the room understood. It is likely to appear in an outgoing gift box next year...

1/2 inch air impact gun which seems to be in better condition than the one that I currently have

Some other neat things included a LED work light, a mobile charging brick, andsome random pieces of Styrofoam.

Now all I have to do is figure out what the water pump actually goes to, so that maybe I buy one of those some day. 

Thank you secret New Near's or Martin Luther King day annual gift sender!

Hey, at least you didn't slip till groundhog day or President's day right? I really enjoyed the box.

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
1/21/20 7:34 p.m.
Javelin said:
wawazat said:

Glad you liked and needed the Stanley knife and blades plus the hex and Torx key sets Jav.  I knew the Hot Wheels car would be appreciated too.  It was well loved when I was a kid (early restomod???) and one of HUNDREDS of redlines, early Matchbox and Lindsey's I have from the 1960's.  All were well loved and none are packaged and pristine but that's OK to me.

Would you like the redline back after I restored it? If so, any requests on how you want it done? Your whole box was awesome! Thank you!

No but thanks for the offer!  

Javelin
1/21/20 8:37 p.m.
wawazat said:
Javelin said:
wawazat said:

No but thanks for the offer!  

Okay. I will do it proud! 

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/21/20 11:19 p.m.
Hungary Bill said:

I'm hoping it'll add another element to the shenanigans where someone occasionally gets to fire back at their gifter from last year.  laugh

Good times.

Is it a first? This year I sent a package to the individual who sent me a package last year. I didn't re-gift anything.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Dork
1/22/20 8:02 a.m.

I've worn a path to my mailbox since new year's but wonder if maybe I should throw in the towel....

is anyone sitting on a box headed for el Segundo, Ca???

slefain
slefain PowerDork
1/22/20 11:03 a.m.
jfryjfry said:

I've worn a path to my mailbox since new year's but wonder if maybe I should throw in the towel....

is anyone sitting on a box headed for el Segundo, Ca???

Yup, and on the other side of the coin there's folks wondering...

daeman
daeman Dork
1/22/20 7:24 p.m.

Tracking update. After spending the better part of 2 weeks in the company of US customs it appears to be on the move. I ended up checking USPS's tracking just in case aus post wasn't updating.  Currently listed as in transit: departed regional destination facility. Apparently next stop is the local post office and then out for delivery from there. With a bit of luck it should finally reach it's destination over the next few days.

Hungary Bill
1/23/20 6:32 a.m.
Brett_Murphy said:
Hungary Bill said:

I'm hoping it'll add another element to the shenanigans where someone occasionally gets to fire back at their gifter from last year.  laugh

Good times.

Is it a first? This year I sent a package to the individual who sent me a package last year. I didn't re-gift anything.

Dang, you're right!  How in the world did I miss that?  So this is already happening quicker than I was expecting.

Hungary Bill
1/23/20 6:49 a.m.

Just a quick heads up to everyone:

As we're approaching the last week of the month, I'm still showing just under 20 packages as being "in transit" yet thread appears to have slowed to a crawl.  As a courtesy to everyone who's still waiting, I'm going to send out a check-in e-mail on Monday just to get an update on who's sent, and who's received. I think this will help put minds at ease for the people who've sent but have yet to see their gifts posted and for the people who are still waiting on their boxes to arrive (and who, if anyone, has been porch pirated).

Cheers guys!

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/23/20 11:37 a.m.

We heard the long, slow lumpy idle of a poorly maintained mail truck, and then a loud thump near the garage...

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/23/20 8:01 p.m.

A very cleverly decorated and slightly abused box showed up today.

I know, I know, Wisconsin blows this time of year. We are planning on relocating to the Carolinas in a couple years.

Layer one: a nice note, a few license plates and some stickers.

Layer 2: Surgical gloves and some literature

Layer 3: Hot Wheels, some old Happy Meal toys. These Happy Meal toys are awesome!!

Layer 4: Mrs. Racetruck is pretty stoked about the Chevelle and the first aid supplies.  A spare 10mm, some plastic panel fasteners, another Koni adjuster knob and lots of "caulk" jokes.

Layer 5: Helicoil kit, a seat belt, light socket? zipties of course, US made Timken Bearings, duct tape bandaids and one on the useful hand tools I have ever seen.

Gotta do some googles to see what these fit. These might be worth basing a build around.  Thank you Floating Doc! This is an awesome box, well worth the wait!

Javelin
1/23/20 8:17 p.m.

In reply to RacetruckRon :

Those bearings look vaguely familiar...

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/24/20 9:34 a.m.

If you live in a town where you might find a wallet, then your package is on its way as of today!  

...gotta get, I got-got ta get it

Photographic proof of it leaving

Woody
1/24/20 2:03 p.m.

So following a brief stay at the Customs office, the dog and I received a package from the other side of the planet.

Shipping from Australia is no joke: That's a lot of dollarydoos.

The package was marked "Australian Made" and "Extra Strength", so I knew right away that it wouldn't be easy to get into.

I had considered using my knife but, as we know...

Wherever would I find sufficient tools to penetrate this package's awesome Aussieness?

Let's go to the big toolbox.*

We're in!

Lots of cool stuff here!

Safety glasses, an Open ya Bastard bottle opener, a kangaroo magnet, a Japanese volt gauge (maybe from the Datsun that never got the new spark plug and points), assorted keys that that are every bit as likely to open locked things as all of the other loose keys on my bench, a Hot Wheels Chevelle, an issue of Hot4s magazine, a purpose-modified 14mm wrench, some rubber floor mat beverage coasters, a collector spoon, as set of red anodized alloy valve stem caps, Austrailian coins with royal folk on one side and deadly animals on the other, some cool vintage maps and travel guides from back when Australia was just one long twisty dirt road, welding collets, lots of tourist info on Holbrook (The Submarine Town!), a submarine keychain, a Weber grill bottle opener, a beer koozie that would be in tears if it ever saw a Foster's can headed its way, and a few other mysterious odds and ends.

There is also a very cool NSW license plate which will immediately be nailed to the wall in my garage, some very amusing snacks named after my dog...

And, of course... Vegimite! 

Thank you very much Daeman, this was a lot of fun!

*Absolutely no wallabies were harmed in the making of this unboxing thread.

daeman
daeman Dork
1/24/20 2:57 p.m.

In reply to Woody :

Glad it finally made it and hope the wait was worth it for you. Yeah, the shipping is a bit steep, but the shenanigans are worth it haha, besides, it's probably about the same once you convert it to USD. 

Loved the opening, that's some serious access gear you've got there. On a side note, what model is the sthil chainsaw, looks alot like an 36 or 44 av. 

The volt gauge is probably an old battery lift truck gauge, honestly I'm unsure how I came to have that. The modified 14mm was from when I was working on sweepers, some of them had helac rear steering actuators and the only easy way to access the top bolts without piling apart half the machine was with that. The floor mat coaters are a regift along with the valve caps. Amongst the coins should be an old pre decimal penny, it came from underneath the floors in the house we purchased last year.... In you guessed it... Holbrook. There's a bit of a story behind the town's submarine if anyone's interested.

Glad that the number plate will have a good home, I'm slowly getting a nice collection of US plates from you guys.... Now I just have to hurry up and get the new she'd built so they can have a place to live.

What's your dog's name? That's a happy coincidence given my mis-stalkinfmis-stalking this year.

What gift from Aussie land would be complete without a jar of Vegemite. As always, less is more for beginners. Toast, plenty of butter, sparingly applied Vegemite, also good with grilled cheese on top. And if you hate it, feel free to take it in to the station and prank the good folks there with it hahaha.

Thanks Woody, was great being painted up with you.

Woody
1/24/20 3:08 p.m.
daeman said:

What's your dog's name? That's a happy coincidence given my mis-stalkinfmis-stalking this year.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/my-dog-is-the-proud-new-owner-of-a-volvo-v70r/157406/page1/

Woody
1/24/20 3:24 p.m.

In reply to daeman :

We use that saw to cut vent holes into the roofs of burning building. The guard allows us to cut through the shingles and sheathing, but leave the rafters in place. If you cut directly over the fire, it lets the heat, smoke and toxic gases out, and you can see to put the fire out.

daeman
daeman Dork
1/24/20 4:20 p.m.

In reply to Woody :

Oh yeah, I actually read that thread at the time, my memory is great haha. lovely dog, nice car yes .

I didn't notice that it was actually a guard on the saw as opposed to a bar cover till you mentioned that. Tungsten carbide chain? I'd guess you have to hit a few nails or Staples when cutting right?

I'm giving serious consideration to volunteering with the RFS once things settle down around here, the middle of an emergency is not the time or place for inexperienced people to be getting in the way.

Woody
1/24/20 5:03 p.m.

In reply to daeman :

I don't know if the chains are full carbide or just carbide tipped. Yes, lots of nails and staples!

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UberDork
1/24/20 10:18 p.m.

So I am one of those stragglers who got my package a while back but didn't want to open it until I got mine sent.  In my defense I have stopped by the post office 3 times in the last couple of weeks to pick up a new box and they have been out of them every time, so I have been driving around with a random similar size box full of stuff waiting to transfer it over.  Also as a heads up, I think I sent mine out to the same place I sent last year's. 

My package was clearly from someone more connected than myself, as demonstrated by the lanyard stack. 

I'm 98% sure I have actually met my gifter in person, back when I was living in SC, which is pretty cool.

It was chock full of magazines, promotional materials, a carb adapter, uhaul trailer lighting adapter, tie rods apparently for a Jeep product, and this thing:

Which I think is for cleaning to a level beyond my abilities. 

Also a 10mm socket, tshirt, and some fuel rail adapters I might actually be able to use!

Total loot shot:

Thanks again for everything!

Woody
1/25/20 9:24 a.m.

I had Vegimite on my toast this morning.

daeman
daeman Dork
1/25/20 4:28 p.m.

In reply to Woody :

And you're alive to write about the experience, Congratulations mate! How was it?

1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WjNNnV0PrTRCkIcmjkgEIqEWYSTwFi1LR0aKBE1W7ItdJ2XEpiGyYcJZBadOkPjW