1 2 3 4
curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/29/14 4:01 p.m.

I didn't get my stuff yet, but I'm all antsy about the swag. Post it here.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
12/29/14 4:22 p.m.

I got my Secret Santa Gift. I'll have to upload the package dissection photos.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
12/29/14 4:36 p.m.

Same here. Gotta get home first. ..

curtis73
12/29/14 4:55 p.m.

Hurry up! I'm divorced and this is my only form of entertainment.

crawls back under rock

KyAllroad
KyAllroad HalfDork
12/29/14 4:57 p.m.

Got my stuff. Mrs Allroad laughed as I unboxed a lovely used piston and a neat steering wheel. The matchbox car got a "I bet all of you did that."

And some pieces I don't readily recognize. Pics to follow.

Ninja edit: Compression Tester!! I've never seen one before.... Engine internals are kinda foreign to me.

This is fun

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
12/29/14 5:06 p.m.

You actually got a piston? I was beginning to think those were treasures around here.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/29/14 5:10 p.m.

Ky: I'll explain once you post pics

The original box I packed had a Rotor and Housing from an RX-7 in it, but alas... well, you saw the pics in the previous thread.

fujioko
fujioko Reader
12/29/14 5:29 p.m.

Here it is!

A carefully packed box full of awesome arrived today.

Thanks secret Santa!

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/29/14 5:42 p.m.

I got mine today as well!

Contents:

Zune - I can finally have a dedicated garage mp3 player instead of wrenching in silence because my ipod is somewhere else.
Pick Set
Aluminum Whistle
Various bottle caps
Sweet Tea mix

Thanks Singleslammer!

We should definitely do this again next year, great fun.

Hungary Bill
12/29/14 5:46 p.m.

In reply to fujioko:

A Hungarian friend of mine made a "License plate popper upper" out of solenoids like those (from a BMW). So far he's been pretty successful at avoiding speed cameras

Lancer007
Lancer007 Dork
12/29/14 5:51 p.m.

Just got home and had this waiting for me the cats were certain this was a present for them:

Thanks Curtis73, I've got some clock making to do this week sometime! SWMBO said I wasn't allowed to hang it in the living room though

fujioko
fujioko Reader
12/29/14 5:57 p.m.

In reply to Hungary Bill:

heck yeah, door lock actuators are great for all kinds of projects. I typically grab them off Saturn S series cars when I'm at the pick'n pull.

curtis73
12/29/14 6:13 p.m.
Lancer007 wrote: Just got home and had this waiting for me the cats were certain this was a present for them: Thanks Curtis73, I've got some clock making to do this week sometime! SWMBO said I wasn't allowed to hang it in the living room though

You're welcome. Every garage needs a flexplate clock!

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
12/29/14 6:31 p.m.

In reply to EvanB:

You're welcome! I was hoping that you might have a use for that old Zune. It seems to hold a charge alright.

Hungary Bill
12/29/14 8:31 p.m.

In reply to curtis73:

dude! That's really cool! I may have to copy that one

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/29/14 9:03 p.m.

My box arrived! Tons of really nice stuff. I feel bad, it's way better than the junk I sent out.

I must have been good this year. I got:

-pair of gloves x2

-assortment of p clips

-hat

-Twisted wire wheel

-grinding wheels x4

-flap discs x5

-die grinder foam sanding pads x2 -die grinder discs x3

-world's largest fuse holder

-blade fuses and holder

-cylinder fuses and holders

-mystery yellow cones

-press on connector

-wipes

-pocket knife

-socket adaptors

-plastic epoxy

-spot weld cutter

-1/4" drill bits

-3/8" drill bits

-helicoil kit

-1/4 20 taps x3

-1/2" reamer

-3/4" Annular cutter

-3/4" hole saw

-Auto terminal cleaning set

-tool roll

-safety glasses

This is the best present I received all year! Thanks Secret Santa!

EvanB
12/29/14 9:16 p.m.

In reply to bgkast:

I have boxes and boxes of that kind of stuff in my garage so I just grabbed some that seemed useful. We get a ton of product samples for evaluation at work and after awhile they are just taking up space so they are tossed or I take them home. Hopefully I picked some useful ones.

wae
wae HalfDork
12/29/14 9:16 p.m.

In reply to fujioko:

I finally realized that I'm never going to actually get around to doing anything with those lock poppers, so after sitting on them for 8 years, maybe someone else can help them realize their potential!

There's a little bit of GRM connection there, too: The GRM sticker is left over from the giant pile that eastsidemav used to put racing stripes on his world's fastest $2006 corsica, the inline fuel filter was tucked into a side bag on a motorcycle I bought off of Karl last year, and the MT Boost was in the swag bag at the $2005 Challenge. (or maybe $2006!)

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/29/14 9:36 p.m.

In reply to EvanB:

Thank you!!

EvanB
12/29/14 9:43 p.m.
bgkast wrote: -mystery yellow cones

Those are used for plugging hydraulic or other fluid lines to prevent too much spillage while servicing.

kylini
kylini Reader
12/29/14 10:22 p.m.

Yeaaaaaah.... I feel bad now. I should send another box full of more stuff.

fujioko
fujioko HalfDork
12/29/14 10:30 p.m.

In reply to wae:

Thanks for all the cool stuff! I always keep a handful of motorized lock poppers for various projects. These will get put to use before long.

The filters, decals and cotter pins will be put to use before the weekend.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
12/29/14 10:31 p.m.

In reply to kylini:

Srsly. I just rounded up random automotive stuff in my garage.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
12/30/14 8:26 a.m.

I bought the cheapest flat rate box, a couple of funny things from HF and some rando stuff I had been trying to think of what to do with it. My wife collects bottle caps for projects so I thought that would make good packing material. It also helps EvanB start his Fallout monies collection .

Wife project:

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Reader
12/30/14 10:06 a.m.

Good lord, what is that smell?

Untitled

Inside, I found a really cool Craftsman toolbox from the 50's that contained this cool reversible speed reduction unit. I need to make a chuck adapter (no problem) and then I can see this being useful for tapping with my drill press. As soon as you let go of the barrel, the bit stops. Here is the instruction manual I found online: Craftsman Reversible Speed Reducer (PDF Download)

Also included is a nice screwdriver and bit set, a Makita bit driver, a battery disconnect (which I've always wanted!), a ball-end clamp thingy, and a small petcock.

bgkast, thanks so much for the useful stuff! This really might be the best gift I got this year!

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kHkECP1uL02l89Y3hkjBWM0YKX9gOuLJ3Z2cUCCjiWYW4CMsGCq5wMA6FYHRsUNk