PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
9/4/15 1:27 p.m.

Ahhh yes, the Honda Fit. Magical fold flat rear seats and Honda build quality, an efficient little commuter that never ceases to impress unless you need more power, mpg, or off-road ground clearance.

I've enjoyed my initial foray into 4x4 territory, but now I'm spoiled. If it's just the two of us, we can go just about any road that's on a map, save serious crawling areas.

Unfortunately, when we're hosting (like the next 3 weeks) getting ourselves and our friends to the remote camping location off a Forest Road/Trail/Path becomes more difficult. The Tacoma or Trooper would have no issues, but the Fit couldn't leave a maintained gravel road.

I'd rather not get a rental (especially at $200 for a weekend) but I'd prefer not to pay for camping, so I need to reach dispersed camping spots without getting stuck.

Has anyone lifted a compact car or sedan that wasn't commonly used as a rally car like Subarus?

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Dork
9/4/15 1:51 p.m.

I lifted my 1g Neon by putting SRT-4 lowering springs on it.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/4/15 1:56 p.m.

Sounds like a job for coil spring booster spacers:

http://www.pepboys.com/product/details/328922/00745

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
9/4/15 3:25 p.m.

The Forte on Stock springs has tremendous ground clearance. Hell... it's still got more than a Fit "slammed" lol.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
9/4/15 3:33 p.m.

There is a guy on the Saturn forums who just jacked his coilovers up all the way and put taller tires on. Its probably not much higher than stock due to limited height of coilovers... but it wouldn't be hard to go further.

His car usually sits like this

I'm not sure why this wouldn't work for most cars. Only concern is lifting so far you berkeley the geometry or the CV joints pull apart.

Also see: cute utes. They are basically exactly what you asked for: a lifted compact car.

bastomatic
bastomatic UltraDork
9/4/15 3:36 p.m.

Someone on here has a 1g Fit with adjustable coilovers. He did a camping trip in northern Michigan and when adjusted all the way up, it looked like pretty good clearance. The 07/08 Fit has 7 inches stock, which isn't actually that bad for forest two-tracks. The new Fit-based SUVA does no better.

bastomatic
bastomatic UltraDork
9/4/15 3:37 p.m.

Also, the Suzuki SX4 hatch has been lifted. There's even a kit available.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
9/4/15 6:02 p.m.

Skid plates.

skierd
skierd SuperDork
9/5/15 1:26 p.m.

Isn't the HR-V basically a lifted fit with awd?

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/5/15 1:48 p.m.

Functional rally suspension is available via HPD, not sure who produces it for them, possibly hotbits

bastomatic
bastomatic UltraDork
9/5/15 7:15 p.m.

In reply to skierd:

The HR-V has 6.7 inches of clearance. It's actually worse than the last couple generations of Fit.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sdppCWmtlDpDYnof6EkbbR4CIeltQiro1aMM2bScx51M8cJyGr1pLr5yW4qsVqgf