Autolex HalfDork
Dec. 6, 2009 5:59 p.m.

Here!

saw this over on autoblog and I figured the fellow Group-B nuts over here might enjoy it...

Holy crap! that scene around 2 minutes in when the people part like an ocean!

The sounds are amazing!

Schmidlap Reader
Dec. 6, 2009 6:17 p.m.

Thank You! Finally, a Group B rally compilation that is not spoiled by ridiculous Eurotrash techno - it's just the cars and the crowds.

And I agree about that scene at 2 minutes. I always thought sliding through a forest sideways at 90 mph took a lot of guts, but keeping your foot to the floor hoping that those people get out of your way has to take a lot more courage than that.

Bob

Appleseed Dork
Dec. 6, 2009 6:19 p.m.

I was just reading Autoweek's special issue dealing with Audi's 100th anniversary. The thorough owning Audi gave Pike's Peak in the 80s was epic. Often at the hands of a woman!

924guy Dork
Dec. 6, 2009 6:23 p.m.

awesome! the dude jumping off the road was amusing, you know that ur-q driver was aiming for him!(03:23:00) I wonder how many points he was worth ?

Appleseed Dork
Dec. 6, 2009 6:34 p.m.

Did you see the Ferrari 308 at 2:42?!?

f86sabjf New Reader
Dec. 6, 2009 6:48 p.m.

thanks for sharing that was great

dyintorace Dork
Dec. 6, 2009 6:56 p.m.

Wow...those Audis were awesome.

oldsaw HalfDork
Dec. 6, 2009 7:09 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: The thorough owning Audi gave Pike's Peak in the 80s was epic. Often at the hands of a woman!

Rally gods kneel and pray at the altar of Michelle Mouton, for they are humbled in her presence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHkRUXKsj4Q

Jensenman SuperDork
Dec. 6, 2009 7:18 p.m.

A really wild sounding 1st gen RX7 at around 2:10... 959's... RS2000's... a BMW M1 at around 9:10... numerous Lancias. What's not to like?

Same guy, more Group B, some near crashes with some really scary 'crowd control' scenes near the end. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu8uBgEgjEc&NR=1

oldsaw HalfDork
Dec. 6, 2009 7:30 p.m.
Jensenman wrote: A really wild sounding 1st gen RX7 at around 2:10... 959's... RS2000's... a BMW M1 at around 9:10... numerous Lancias. What's not to like?

Well, the driving/navigation of the M1 was a bit underwhelming.

wbjones Reader
Dec. 6, 2009 8:32 p.m.

loved the little kid with the stuffed animal "watching" the event.... ~1:53

pigeon HalfDork
Dec. 6, 2009 9:12 p.m.
oldsaw wrote:
Jensenman wrote: A really wild sounding 1st gen RX7 at around 2:10... 959's... RS2000's... a BMW M1 at around 9:10... numerous Lancias. What's not to like?

Well, the driving/navigation of the M1 was a bit underwhelming.

Take it from the guy who autocrosses a 750Li, sometimes the turn's just too tight for the big cars, and the M1 was a lot bigger than those other cars. The M1 did catch my eye though, as the did RX7. The skill of many of those pilots to just manage to keep those crazy machines going in a straight line let alone the insane rally roads leaves me awe struck.

gamby SuperDork
Dec. 6, 2009 11:14 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: Did you see the Ferrari 308 at 2:42?!?

That's what I was just going to post about!!! I hope that car still exists in that form SOMEWHERE out there. That is wild.

Killer clip. I loves me some balls-out tarmac rally. All that sputtering and spitting is fantastic. That is proper motorsport, people. None of this over-regulated, spec-racer crap.

EastCoastMojo SuperDork
Dec. 6, 2009 11:23 p.m.

Ah, the sounds. The visual is just bonus.

TJ Dork
Dec. 7, 2009 7:50 a.m.

What is the car at 4:29

I like the dude that almost gets ran over at 10:24.

Dec. 7, 2009 9:30 a.m.
TJ wrote: What is the car at 4:29 I like the dude that almost gets ran over at 10:24.

At 4:26 it was showing a LAncia Delta S4, just after that it switched to an Opel Manta 400.

mad_machine SuperDork
Dec. 7, 2009 12:12 p.m.

Glad to see it was not just an Audi love fest... great video, I could watch that all day.

TJ Dork
Dec. 7, 2009 12:34 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: < At 4:26 it was showing a LAncia Delta S4, just after that it switched to an Opel Manta 400.

It was the Manta I was asking about. Thanks.

Appleseed Dork
Dec. 7, 2009 3:40 p.m.

Check out the rest of that guy's YouTube page. Wow!

smog7 Dork
Jan. 19, 2010 9:53 p.m.

another good group b video/documentary

"Too Fast to Race" part 1- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv5Jto1Zdd4&feature=PlayList&p=99F7DB6EEDAC8AA9&index=0&playnext=1

cwh SuperDork
Jan. 19, 2010 10:58 p.m.

Ya know, I'll bet that the original NASCAR boys, the real whiskey runners, would have done right well at this. After all, that's really what they did every night. Wonder what Junior Johnson thinks of it. Can you imagine a '40 ford, with a Caddy ambulance engine, running those courses? I think he still has one.

Drewsifer Reader
Jan. 19, 2010 11:03 p.m.

I remember reading once a rally driver was asked what he thought when he would come around a turn and see all those fans in the road. Apparently he answered something like 'I pretend they aren't there, other wise I would slow down'. Just awesome.

93celicaGT2 SuperDork
Jan. 19, 2010 11:13 p.m.

The Audis just sound.... scary. The Audi 5 cylinder turbo motors are the only motors on the face of the planet that make my knees shake.

Jan. 19, 2010 11:18 p.m.
gamby wrote:
Appleseed wrote: Did you see the Ferrari 308 at 2:42?!?

That's what I was just going to post about!!! I hope that car still exists in that form SOMEWHERE out there. That is wild.

Killer clip. I loves me some balls-out tarmac rally. All that sputtering and spitting is fantastic. That is proper motorsport, people. None of this over-regulated, spec-racer crap.

Found part of a French documentary on a team running 308s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InKWSP8n7vE

cwh SuperDork
Jan. 19, 2010 11:31 p.m.

I am a died in the wool fan of high revving V-8s, but those sounds are incredible.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Modern Day Track Junkie

22 hours ago in Articles

Christina Lam went from the sidelines to full-on track enthusiast in 8 simple steps.

2017 Audi A8 L

23 hours ago in New Car Reviews

When it comes to luxury sedans, Audis are usually front-runners. The A8 L is the biggest and maybe most comfortable ...

Slight Project Pause for Our BMW M3

1 day ago in Project Cars

Few things slow down our project car progress more effectively than a broken arm.

Grassroots Motorsports Experience Ticket Renewals Have Been Sent

1 day ago in News

Check your inbox for our Grassroots Motorsports Experience renewals.

First Drive: Turbo ND MX-5

1 day ago in News

We hit the track with Flyin' Miata's latest power adder.

Project Turbo Miata: Fire Fighting

1 day ago in Project Cars

We transfer the fire system to our new Miata.

Vintage Views: GMC Syclone and Typhoon

3 days ago in Articles

All-wheel drive, turbo power and a Q-ship’s stealth.

Classic Motorsports Mitty Presented by Hagerty Celebrates Porsche

3 days ago in News

Gearhead heaven? We think it looks something like this.

Meet the Rebels Who Started the Cannonball Run

3 days ago in News

Relive those desperado days through movie excerpts, and hear the real facts and wild stories from the legends themselves.

This Weekend at the Mitty: The Ultimate Auto Festival

6 days ago in News

Gates open this Friday for the Classic Motorsports Mitty at Road Atlanta.

ND Miata Turbo Kits Now Available!

1 week ago in News

Add 70 horsepower and 70 ft.-lbs!

What's the Plan, Man?

1 week ago in Articles

Thoughts on our racing plan for the year.

OUR SPONSORS

Birthdays

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
cjnF4AyKTlbSLAnEsnmoIFDSYj69bVuv