1 2 3 ... 17
BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/1/10 6:20 p.m.

Welcome to the (un)official GRM - Gran Turismo 5 racing League. This is a championship series based on the cars and spirit of the Grassroots Motorsports (and what is available in GT5).

This league will consist of 10 races run weekly, and 3 classes (GRM, G600, and CM).

• GRM - (123 Cars) Primarily consisting of cars from the 80s and 90s, this class is restricted to a maximum HP rating of 350, and a minimum weight of 1000kg. All cars in this class will run on Sport tires.
  • G600 - (61 Cars) [Suspended due to lack of racers ] Similar to the GRM class, except for larger cars. This class is restricted to a maximum HP of 600, and a minimum weight of 1350kg. All cars in this class will use Race tires.
  • CM - (42 Cars) The Classic Motorsports class is for the cars of yesteryear, all cars are older than 1974 and will vary widely in weight and HP. All cars in this class with use Comfort tires.

• All driving aids are off

• Racing etiquette applies (e.g. it is the responsibility of the overtaking driver to ensure a clean pass)
  • Keep the racing clean. Repeated violations / complaints will result in a DQ (I say this mostly for my benefit, I have a tendency to use the metal horn against the computer AI).

1st - 10 points

2nd - 8 points

3rd - 7 points

4th - 6 points

5th - 5 points

6th - 4 points

7th - 3 points

8th - 2 points

9th - 1 point

Points for the championship will consist of your 8 highest scores. With this, missing a race won't eliminate your chances.

First tie breaker is total wins. Second tie breaker is a 1 lap shootout on the final track of the season.

Administration - Since PD and Sony are rolling out online features "one at a time". The league will be administered using the advanced technology of Excel. I'll maintain and share the spreadsheet as the championship progresses. Currently contained are all available cars and their classifications:

Administrative Spreadsheet

You will have to compete using the same car throughout the series. Changing your car with result in a DQ. You can however tune / tweak your car to the limits of your class.

If the car you would like to use is not listed, send me a message and let me know. If it is a fair matchup and within the spirit of the competition I'll add it.

If you would like to compete in 1 or more classes, please send me a PM listing:

• PSN ID
  • GRM ID
  • Desired Class(es)
  • Desired Car

Available driver slots:

GRM - 11/16

G600 - 0/16

CM - 13/16

Schedule:

Races scheduled to be held on Tuesday evenings. Each class race would run sequentially, with GRM going first at 8PM Central Time (9ET, 6PT). CM Class will go approximately at 9PM Central Time.

Event schedule:

• Round 1 (12/14/10) - Laguna Seca (22 laps)

• Round 2 (12/21/10) - Road Course Indy (19 laps)

• Round 3 (12/28/10) - Monza (14 laps)

• Round 4 (1/4/11) - Toscana (23 laps)

• Round 5 (1/11/11) - Rome (23 laps)

• Round 6 (1/18/11) - Circuito de Madrid (23 laps)

• Round 7 (1/25/11) - Cote d'Azur (24 laps)

• Round 8 (2/1/11) - Fuji (F) (18 laps)

• Round 9 (2/8/11) - Tokyo R246 (16 laps)

• Round 10 (2/15/22) - Suzuka (14 laps)

• Race of Champions (2/22/11) - La Sarthe (12 laps)

The RoC will be by invitation, featuring the top 3-4 drivers from each class. Drivers will compete in a Nascar at LeMans to determine who is the "Best of the Best".

Feedback... I am open to all of it! I'll update this post as needed.

Let's race!

fastbmw
fastbmw New Reader
12/1/10 6:40 p.m.

Oh man, I would love to do this but I work evenings. Stupid work, always getting in the way of fun.

Rufledt
Rufledt Reader
12/1/10 10:02 p.m.

oh sweet. I totally want to do this. Not sure how the internet thing will work for me, it tends to be spotty, but it's worth a try. Now it's time for me to look the list over!

Question- obviously the power and weight will vary wildly for the CM class, but will there be a target power to weight ratio goal?

mndsm
mndsm Dork
12/1/10 10:09 p.m.

Are there to be scheduled times for this? As my schedule varies wildly, I may or may not be able to do them if they're all online at the same time.

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
12/2/10 12:38 a.m.

Since I'm guessing it will be a common problem, you may consider totalling points of your best 8 races. For those that do all 10, you pick your best 8. For those that miss a couple, you still have a chance. I don't have the time to commit so I'm sure I won't be involved, so take the suggestion with a grain of salt.

Bryce

ManBearSTIG
ManBearSTIG GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/2/10 9:18 a.m.

I am in. Would love to do Wed. or Tues. instead of Thurs., if that is possible.

Looking over the sheet, seems quite a few cars got moved out of their original slot.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
12/2/10 9:29 a.m.

damnit, i need a PS3 and GT5....

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
12/2/10 9:47 a.m.

Wait.... so is this wheel to wheel racing, or....?

I haven't gotten GT5 yet, but i MAY be interested.

Pumpkin Escobar
Pumpkin Escobar SuperDork
12/2/10 10:45 a.m.

I dont have a PS3 or GT%, but both are very near the top of the DO Want list. I would really love to participate in may the second season...it will take that long to get my hands on both items necessary to compete!

BradLTL
12/2/10 12:51 p.m.
Nashco wrote: you may consider totalling points of your best 8 races

Excellent point. Added.

93celicaGT2 wrote: Wait.... so is this wheel to wheel racing, or....?

Yes, however each class will run separately from each other.

ManBearSTIG wrote: Looking over the sheet, seems quite a few cars got moved out of their original slot.

???? Does something not look right?

Rufledt wrote: Question- obviously the power and weight will vary wildly for the CM class, but will there be a target power to weight ratio goal?

I struggled with this for awhile, and open to suggestions, I wasn't able to come up with a method to level the power/weight ratio for Elan vs. a Superbird. Also, GT5 doesn't really give me any method to enforce anything related. So, my solution was to give this class the crappy tires. My thought was that high power cars would have to tip-toe around the bends and the light weight cars could catch them up. Straight-line is another issue all together.

mndsm wrote: Are there to be scheduled times for this? As my schedule varies wildly, I may or may not be able to do them if they're all online at the same time.

I understand. However, I think it would be easier to set a constant day and time for everyone to plan around, rather than ad-hoc scheduling.

That said, I am open to adjusting the day. It is probably best for most if it is in the evenings. 9ET is 6PT, that should let everyone get home from work/school before the races start. That time seems to be the best balance.

ManBearSTIG
12/2/10 1:06 p.m.

The alphabetical order seems messed up on mine. No biggie. Also, noticed the NSX is in both the GRM and the G600. Was that intentional? Still, appreciate the work you have obviously put into this so far. Hopefully, we can get a good league going!

BradLTL
12/2/10 1:24 p.m.

In reply to ManBearSTIG:

Yes, if you look at the weights on each model, some are above the 1350kg threshold and get classed G600... which is odd, because the GRM classed NSXs are actually the better ones.

On the upside, if you like NSXs and want to run one with as much HP as possible, you can with the way the classes worked out.

BradLTL
12/2/10 3:01 p.m.

Updated the CM class to include some oversights:

• AC Cobra
  • Alfa Romeos
  • Pontiac Tempest GTO
  • Fiat 500s
  • Mazda Cosmo
  • Ford Mustang Mach 1
aircooled
aircooled SuperDork
12/2/10 3:23 p.m.

Additional rule needed(?): All driving aids off.

(That AC cobra will be quite entertaining on comfort tires with all the aids off.)

I would participate, but Thursday is not good for me. (6:00 pm PST is perfect for me though)

mndsm
mndsm Dork
12/2/10 3:35 p.m.

So- this whole thing rocks. We're attempting to get something similar going between a small group of my local friends, I referred them here to look at the rule set- because it works.

aircooled
aircooled SuperDork
12/2/10 4:34 p.m.

Let's hope Sony is reading this thread, and will make this easier. They are supposed to be releasing weekly updates, and one of the first things they are dealing with is online.

BradLTL
12/3/10 6:13 a.m.
aircooled wrote: Additional rule needed(?): All driving aids off.

Yes.

• Added additional rules section to the original post.
  • Changed to Tuesdays
BradLTL
12/4/10 3:48 p.m.

Updated:

• Schedule added

Teqnyck
Teqnyck Reader
12/4/10 8:08 p.m.

Am I allowed to sign up after the league starts? My wife has vowed that I get GT5 no sooner than Christmas. I'll have maybe a day to pick a car and class before round three. No pressure

BradLTL
12/5/10 7:43 a.m.

In reply to Teqnyck:

monsterbronco
monsterbronco New Reader
12/6/10 7:29 a.m.

ok im down for the league! I just picked the game up yesterday!

I cant access the spreadsheet here at work but will look at it when i get home.

Wes

BradLTL
12/6/10 1:40 p.m.

In reply to aircooled:

Subject Please forward to Polyphony Digital. http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-... Discussion Thread Response Via Email (Lisa U.) 12/06/2010 10:21 AM Hello Brad, Thank you for writing us with a website forum link. We value your input and appreciate you bringing this to our attention. Please rest assured that we will convey your feedback to Sony Computer Entertainment America's ("SCEA") appropriate management. Regards, Lisa U.

Who knows...

ManBearSTIG
12/6/10 2:09 p.m.

Did you get my PM Brad? Just making sure.

BradLTL
12/6/10 4:59 p.m.

In reply to ManBearSTIG:

Yes. I'll update the Administrative spreadsheet tonight with the participants tab, schedule and results.

I'll withhold everyone's car choice until the first race... you know... to build suspense.

(If anyone is concerned that I have an unfair advantage regarding car selection let me know and I will disclose my choice to you)

Rufledt
Rufledt Reader
12/6/10 9:07 p.m.

For the CM class, i think the crappy tires will be a good leveler. I put some on a 71 mustang with tons of power and although the straight line acceleration is greater with all the power, it is still limited by the tires at lower speeds, and higher speeds will create the need for very early braking (especially with ABS off)

1 2 3 ... 17

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EmyyxkebfN711H0m3dLGoAgpvdcb3v9jReDeqbpXuu8b8wFdSfGXkvhlkiWp3Mc7