1 2 3 4
Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
1/6/14 6:43 p.m.

111R Elise Race Car '04. No aids of any kind except ABS = 1. Adjust anything you want but don't buy any parts. GO! (post some sort of screen shot). Tires are racing hard, I think, they came on the car.

EDIT: Is there some way to see each other's stats/laps/etc if added as a friend to avoid the unpleasantness of having to copy jpgs around?

1/6/14 7:47 p.m.

OK, I'll start bitches!

I lowered and stiffened. Added some camber and a little toe out. Anyone else? I think there is a bunch of time I'm leaving in the corner before the long back straight but... I've crossed the beer/talent line this evening and so... 11.676 is all I gots.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon SuperDork
1/6/14 7:58 p.m.

I will take this challenge, but it'll be a couple days before I'll have the free time to do so.

EDIT: add me on PSN if you haven't already (same name)

DaveEstey
DaveEstey UltraDork
1/6/14 8:54 p.m.

Oh snap. My best car and one of my best tracks.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
1/6/14 9:30 p.m.

GPS missed the "Simulation Central" forum?

1/6/14 9:54 p.m.

I thought that is where I was when I hit new post - alas... mods... help a brutha out and move this?

1/6/14 9:55 p.m.
Spoolpigeon wrote: I will take this challenge, but it'll be a couple days before I'll have the free time to do so. EDIT: add me on PSN if you haven't already (same name)

Added. I actually had an invite from you I accepted.

beans
beans HalfDork
1/6/14 10:10 p.m.

I accepted a few earlier. I'll check this thing out wed/thurs when I'm off.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon SuperDork
1/7/14 9:26 p.m.

Round 1: 2.04.682

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTaJMf1CCMg

There is a 2.03 in there with some more suspension tweaking, but I'm too damn sleepy to keep trying tonight.

1/7/14 10:29 p.m.

In reply to Spoolpigeon:

Well. That is quite the nut punch. I came in here looking to post up my smackdown 2.07 lap to find I'm 3+ seconds off the pace. What magics did you employ to make the front of this little car stick?

I'm not willing to concede yet. I need a couple days to get back to the PS3 though. Apparently... there is a tuning exercise on my plate. I can't see another 3 seconds in the thing as it is and I thought I had it pretty hooked up.

Whatever you do... don't berkeleying practice anymore.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon SuperDork
1/8/14 6:54 a.m.

I played witht the suspension settings and turned up the front downforce. It makes for a very tail happy car, but very quick when you get it right. If you want I can do another lap and record it so you can see what I may be doing differently than you.

And all the time seems to be in the first sector, especially the first turn combo and the esses that follow. It's very hard to get them right.

failboat
failboat SuperDork
1/8/14 7:00 a.m.

oh. didnt see this thread. i should have some time tonight to give it a shot, but ill probably be a few seconds slower than spool. i know the east side of the course quite well but consistently botch a number of corners on the west side.

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
1/8/14 8:20 a.m.

I haven't had any time. I'll see what I can do this weekend.

1/8/14 8:24 a.m.
Spoolpigeon wrote: If you want I can do another lap and record it so you can see what I may be doing differently than you.

I see it has a "Load Ghost Lap" button... can we just export the lap file itself?

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon SuperDork
1/8/14 8:34 a.m.

I don't know, but I'll try that.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon SuperDork
1/8/14 9:31 a.m.

Ok, saved the fastest lap ghost of a 2.04.7. Now to figure out how to send it to you......

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
1/8/14 9:45 a.m.

Words cannot describe how much I hate the Suzuka full course.

1/8/14 10:57 a.m.
Spoolpigeon wrote: Ok, saved the fastest lap ghost of a 2.04.7. Now to figure out how to send it to you......

PM me and I'll reply from an email addy or put up an FTP or something. If it's a small bunch sharing... I can possibly host it for the GRM crowd since there is no attaching things here in the forum.

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
1/8/14 11:19 a.m.
Duke wrote: Words cannot describe how much I hate the Suzuka full course.

It is interesting how some hate that course. It is constructed to imitate some of the best aspects of other race courses you know.

I think the hate though comes form the fact that is is a great course for a "properly" oversteering car. An RGT is perfect for that course. Getting the the timing on the corners can be a challenge, but drifting through some of them is rather rewarding. I personally love the decreasing radius first turn, it really kicks the butt of people who are not prepared for it

I am not a huge fan of the new Ascari track. The main issue I have is that a LOT of the corner apex's are blind.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon SuperDork
1/8/14 11:24 a.m.

In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker:

Well I can't send it through the PS3. I can send pictures, but not videos. I'll just upload it to you tube. What camera angle would you like?

1/8/14 11:26 a.m.

The problem I think people have with Suzuka is that it's a difficult track that really makes you pay for a little mistake. Especially in that first sector climbing the hill. A little lift can cost you a whole second. Then... after you get all the way to the back straight w/o a mistake - you have to make that bastard of a left flatout in an oversteery car and brake into a blind right with crappy visual queues.

I see how it can be frustrating. That is why I picked a relatively slow car for the challenge... so people like mah sef who don't get to play all the time can still finish a damn lap without a spin. My first pick was the 2002tii :)

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon SuperDork
1/8/14 11:53 a.m.

Here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeOWP62I_KE

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
1/8/14 3:59 p.m.
aircooled wrote:
Duke wrote: Words cannot describe how much I hate the Suzuka full course.
It is interesting how some hate that course. It is constructed to imitate some of the best aspects of other race courses you know.

That's why I hate it. They took a bunch of bits and stuck them together. There is absolutley no flow to the whole back 2/3 of the course. I don't mind the short course, even though I am not terribly great there. But the long course is just an exercise in unforgiving input points with very little in the way of usable references. And just when you hit your stride, there's some annoying, off-camber, too-slow, weird-shape corner thrown in to break the rhythm.

I don't mind doing poorly at challenging courses if they are fun to drive and you can get a groove going after a few laps. It just never happens for me at Suzuka, even after however many editions it's been in. I felt the same way about the old SSR 11 fantasy course, too.

Advan046
Advan046 Reader
1/8/14 4:11 p.m.

In reply to Duke:

I think that each course has lovers and haters. I find Suzuka to be wonderful. I think it has a flow and rhythm that make each lap a fun journey in almost any car. I am confused by your feeling that the rhythm isn't there. So I guess that is why there are so many tracks out there. Different types of people do well at different tracks.

Funny that I hate Fuji but had my best race performance there in the grm gt5 series. Still hate it.

Advan046
Advan046 Reader
1/8/14 4:14 p.m.
Spoolpigeon wrote: Here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeOWP62I_KE

wow Spool your steering inputs are very aggressive. I would see your front wheels going lock to lock when I watched race replays but that captured it best for me. I cannot replicate that with my g27 wheel. My arms would break.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
c8uiCIShWAOEq7fLqNY89bPlOSSFWC5osZafCxYHuYHg52B6Vx4fW8jZAJENoppy