Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
2/18/18 6:54 p.m.

We got a new puppy back in October. He's a soft coated Wheaton terrier. I've never had a dog with a thick coat before. I brush him daily but he still mats. Some I can get out but some are really stubborn. Especially on his legs. 

Is there a brush that works well for hairy dogs? I don't think the one I have is very effective with his mass of hair.

He's hard to take a picture of but here is Bear.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
2/18/18 7:41 p.m.

I had a border collie who’s hair mats easily when it gets long. Only solution that works was get the dog a haircut and brush daily after that. Once the hair starts to mat or get too long. Get the dog a haircut and repeat the cycle. Did that for 17 years and no more sadly. 

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
2/18/18 8:02 p.m.

The furminator... Also a teaspoon of coconut oil in their food once a day.

Furminator ala Amazon

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
2/18/18 8:10 p.m.

I'll agree with both posters above. It may be best to start with a trip to the groomers to get a trim, but the furminator is an absolutely amazing device. Coconut or olive oil can aid in keeping the coat healthy, which can result in less matting. 

Cute pup.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
2/18/18 8:17 p.m.

He's already had one trip to the groomers. But his eyes are covered again so it's probably time for another trip. He doesn't shed at all, it's just the matting that's a problem.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/18/18 9:07 p.m.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LXQZLLI/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1519009473&sr=8-1&keywords=PawsPamper&dpPl=1&dpID=51vbd56i8%2BL&ref=plSrch

but find some breed specific recommendations. Ask a Wheaton terrier rescue or three, as well as maybe a reputable breeder. 

Fwiw, we have a Samoyed and a Great Pyrenees. My wife and I try to eat as little animal product as we can, but half of our diet is dog fur. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
2/18/18 9:20 p.m.

Breaker brush. I have thee long hair show cats and it saves my butt constantly. They are wicked sharp on the cutting side but not on the skin side and will cut knots out in minutes  

Like this. https://www.chewy.com/hertzko-dog-cat-mat-remover/dp/150518?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Hertzko&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQiA5aTUBRC2ARIsAPoPJk_pdhsg8mPfYPUXAt8rR1Z45O4uadxiHFB3jzf9TFlmKaIiPc2voAEaArdvEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
2/18/18 9:26 p.m.
mtn said:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LXQZLLI/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1519009473&sr=8-1&keywords=PawsPamper&dpPl=1&dpID=51vbd56i8%2BL&ref=plSrch

This, or similar.  I have one thats double sided... wide spaced teeth on one side, tighter on the other.  Handy for those really matted areas. 

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 SuperDork
2/18/18 10:56 p.m.

Cute pup.

Another De-matting brush thing

Similar to what’s been posted already, works great for our mostly-poodle. We just have to remember to hit the trouble areas every few days.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/19/18 8:17 p.m.

I misread the title.  I thought you wanted dog owners who are hairy.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
2/19/18 8:20 p.m.

In reply to vwcorvette :

Well yeah, that's kinda what I wrote. It's a good thing I'm not in the writing business.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/20/18 8:20 a.m.

Another vote for the Furminator. Also, I approve of your choice in name (my dog is also named Bear.) 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/20/18 8:47 a.m.

Our dogs don't mat, but they shed. Oh do they shed.

We found the ZoomGroom to work best for removing hair. Plus the dogs seem to enjoy it. 

Bob the REAL oil guy.
Bob the REAL oil guy. MegaDork
2/20/18 9:35 a.m.

Use conditioner when you bath them. Sadie, our cmallest/oldest becomes the softest teddy bear in the world but her hair doesn't mat for 4-5 weeks. bBrushing her out is easier as well. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uTBwX9btvjARQM5DElrkUFK8WmmUp6a3EgYgN1z6nPfxHkY2hwNGIMtczt3jJVWi