1 2
mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
2/8/19 11:34 a.m.
java230 said:

Thats good service that it was taken care of so quickly too I do say.

I'm on one of the weird sub grids in Texas that means I don't have any choice of provider or any of that stuff that first world parts of the country gets. They don't have to be good, but I've been happy with them over the past 18 years. 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/8/19 11:39 a.m.

Check any appliances that were plugged in for proper function.

Pay close attention to higher voltage stuff.  Welder, lift, appliances, etc.  Also, if you have sump pumps or similar, check their operation NOW before you have a mess!

We have to do this at my company any time this happens. (Often)

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/8/19 12:20 p.m.
(not) WilD (Matt) said:
Mazdax605 said:
(not) WilD (Matt) said:

My neighbors and I had intermitant brown outs where we were losing a phase.  The "smart" meters our suplier installed did NOT detect the issue.  We had to call multiple times and it took multiple visits before the linemen happened to still be there when one of the phases dropped.  It was super frustrating because the presence of the smart meter seemed to make the power company believe there couldn't be an issue.  It was the wiring at the power pole where the lines to the houses drop down, multiple homes affected.  I lost all faith in the smart meters after that.  I guess they only detect total power outages (if that).   I guess what I'm saying is call the power company.

A meter (smart or not) isn't there to monitor power outages. It's only function is to meter how much power you consume for billing. It literally just completes the circuit from the supplier to your panel and reads how much you use. Nothing more nothing less.

That isn't how they were advertised to people in my area.  A big "selling point" on getting people to accept them was the quick detection of power outages and other delivery issues.  My neighbor was literally told over the phone that there probably wasn't an external problem with his service because the meter would have let them know.  The reality is that they seem to only be able to indicate a total outage, and customer service isn't great... I do not doubt the abilities of the meters were oversold, but I am just repeating what was comunicated to us consumers.

I know here in OKC, another "feature" of the smart meters is the companies ability to turn on/off the power remotely.

When we first moved into the house, I got the bills mixed up, thought I had paid the electricity bill (turns out I had paid the last bill from the previous place). Girlfriend called me to tell me the garage door wouldn't open, I left work and discovered all the power was out. *DERP* I got them on the phone, paid the bill, they had the power back on remotely in about 20 minutes. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KcgWqxi2K2GmfX78z2o2gQ5JeBQXSxRL3TGPwvDfMOODNxIZngbHMadLVsWNrgsG