1 2
poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
1/13/19 1:06 p.m.

We’re shopping for cabinets for the “creek-house” (early 1900’s house that we’re trying to do minimal renovations to to make it “live-able,”) and holy crap, it’s gotten overwhelming.

The *main* thing I need is a cabinet/countertop with a sink and a spot for a dishwasher, no more than 74” wide.

I think the existing one is 66” I thought for sure there was a “pre-fab” solution for this, but can’t seem to find anything.

Is HD the “easy button?” Happy stories? Horror stories? 

I’d be having our handy-dude handle the install (as well as un-berkeleying the plumbing at the same time,) so I’d just need them to build & drop off.

Option B: There’s a local “wholesale cabinets” place that I probably need to check out too.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
1/13/19 1:10 p.m.

Do you have a Habitat for Humanity ReStore nearby?

poopshovel again
1/13/19 1:43 p.m.
Grtechguy said:

Ooooooh dang. Yes we do! Good call!

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/13/19 2:10 p.m.

Back when I was in the kitchen/bath biz it was common knowledge that Home Depot would just subcontract the work to a local cabinet & top shop and mark the prices up 15%. I don't know if that's still true (this was ~8 years ago) but if it is you're better shopping elsewhere.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/13/19 2:11 p.m.

I have. 

Honestly, it’s hit or miss. I have had wonderful designers in big box stores that  helped me create genius. My current home kitchen is one- it’s fabulous. 

But I have also had boneheads. Fortunately, I have a design degree and understand good design from bad.

Seems like a good place for designers to start but if they are good, they move on to better jobs. 

It can work both ways.  

poopshovel again
1/13/19 2:41 p.m.
pointofdeparture said:

Back when I was in the kitchen/bath biz it was common knowledge that Home Depot would just subcontract the work to a local cabinet & top shop and mark the prices up 15%. I don't know if that's still true (this was ~8 years ago) but if it is you're better shopping elsewhere.

Roger that. I kinda wondered if the local wholesale guys were supplying HD. Wouldn’t hurt to ask!

Handy dude is going to be out in mid-february, and it kinda snuck up on us, so I’m in a crunch to get him everything he needs. Might boil down to who can get it done in a month. 

Worst case, I can get the sink/dishwasher cabinet thing & figure the rest out later.

daeman
daeman Dork
1/13/19 2:53 p.m.

See if you can get most of your cabinets as prefab/flat pack/used and then only have one or two custom made to soak up the odd sizing if there's any.

poopshovel again
1/13/19 3:00 p.m.

In reply to daeman :

That’s the idea. Any suggestions on where to find the prefab stuff, (aside from habitat?) Ikea?

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/13/19 3:02 p.m.

In reply to pointofdeparture :

That’s for custom work. 

95% of what they sell is not custom. It’s standard sizes, in 3” increments. 

They CALL it custom, but it’s not. 

Poopshovel, 4 weeks is pretty tight for ordering cabinets. 

poopshovel again
1/13/19 3:02 p.m.

I’ll post some pics of the current layout later. Right now I’m choosing a weapon for a rainy day cruise down to the creek. Haven’t been down there in weeks. Hopefully I’ve got some grass growin!

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/13/19 3:10 p.m.

I’d be shocked if you can get cabinets in 4 weeks, unless you buy IKEA. 

daeman
daeman Dork
1/13/19 3:23 p.m.

Ikea would have been my first suggestion for non custom. I don't know if Ikea over there has it, but we have a returns/ex display section that you can pick up some killer deals in.

As for other prefab/flat pack options, I'm not sure what's available to you guys, I know our big box hardware chain Bunnings does it here in Australia, so maybe hit up Lowe's and places like that. Another option would be to try eBay, we have plenty of cabinet makers here who make stock size stuff and throw it up on eBay.

poopshovel again
1/13/19 3:26 p.m.

GRASS!

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/13/19 3:59 p.m.

In reply to daeman :

Every Ikea I've been to so far in the US has returns/ex-display/about to stop selling this piece section. Granted, I've only been to four of them.

poopshovel again
1/13/19 4:13 p.m.

In reply to SVreX :

10-4. And I totally get it. Can I subcontract you to tell my customers why I’m on a 3-4 week turnaround for custom framing? frown

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
1/13/19 4:15 p.m.

My ex- had a good experience with Barker Cabinets.  Custom sized and solid construction. Flat-packaging saves on shipping. 

poopshovel again
1/13/19 4:16 p.m.

Also: If anyone can find me the thing that I’m looking for pre-fab, I’ll gladly buy you a case of beer! GOOD beer!

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/13/19 4:23 p.m.

This sounds really easy. What am I missing?

Standard sink base cabinet is 36”. Dishwasher is 24”. End panel next to dishwasher is 1 1/2”. Counter overhang on each end is 1”. 

Total 63 1/2”.  It’s in stock at HD if you are ok with white or unfinished oak. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/13/19 4:27 p.m.

I think the mistake you are making is assuming a cabinet needs to have a space for a DW. It doesn’t. The DW takes the place of a cabinet. 

All you do is leave 24” of nothing. 

poopshovel again
1/13/19 4:52 p.m.
SVreX said:

This sounds really easy. What am I missing?

Standard sink base cabinet is 36”. Dishwasher is 24”. End panel next to dishwasher is 1 1/2”. Counter overhang on each end is 1”. 

Total 63 1/2”.  It’s in stock at HD if you are ok with white or unfinished oak. 

YES! This is pretty much exactly what I’m looking for. I’ll check HD mañana.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/13/19 4:52 p.m.
poopshovel again said:
Grtechguy said:

Ooooooh dang. Yes we do! Good call!

About a week ago the HFH Re-Store in Smyrna rec’d three tractor trailers of new plywood box (not particleboard) cabinets, with painted stile and rail doors. All flat packed and selling fast. 

Edit:

Habitat for Humanity ReStore Smyrna

3315 S Cobb Dr SE #150,

Smyrna, GA 30080

(770) 415-1625

https://goo.gl/maps/DkUHY3ZYc152

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/13/19 4:55 p.m.

Nothing custom about that. 

All you need is a 36” sink base, and maybe a couple fillers. If you can do 72”, then maybe get a 12” drawer base and stick the DW between them. 

poopshovel again
1/13/19 4:57 p.m.

This is the existing thing we’re replacing. Considered keeping it but the counter top is all berkeleyed up, it’s rusted to hell inside, and all the plumbing needs to be replaced anyway...oh...and we “need” a dishwasher.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/13/19 5:08 p.m.

Ok,the problem with that is that your plumbing centerline is currently 33” off the LH wall. If you uses 35” sink base, the plumbing may have to be relocated. It will be jammed against the RH side if the sink base, or behind the DW. 

Heres what I would do...

Put a 15” drawer base at the LH wall. Then use. 30” sink base. This will put your sink centerline at the same place it is now, and you won’t have to move the plumbing. Then 24” for the DW, and an end panel. Total 70 1/2” of cabinet. 

Note that you can’t fit a standard 33” double bowl sink in a 30” cabinet. Well you can, but you will have to hack the sides of the cabinet. A single bowl sink will fit fine. 

Note also that HD will not have a 30” sink base cabinet in stock. It will be special order. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/13/19 5:10 p.m.

Oh, and you can bring my beer to the Challenge this year!!  Lol!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5G0OB3MNpRBakVWVXtbeDSlz0fHr0BpEKyzTmkq1vvB03NL9cIhFKjph51Z1Y7wi