atsaguy
atsaguy
12/23/10 4:51 p.m.

Hi.

I have a Ford Ranger 2001 3.0. Is there a test to check for a blown or bad head gasket?

Thanks

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/23/10 5:12 p.m.

Do you have any symptoms that suggests you've got a blown head gasket? Does it use coolant? Any mayonnaise on the dipstick or in the header tank or radiator?

iceracer
iceracer Dork
12/23/10 6:17 p.m.

Leak down test, for one. It would depend on where the gasket is blown, coolant or combustion chamber.

Hasbro
Hasbro HalfDork
12/23/10 6:23 p.m.

In reply to iceracer:

Does a leak down test not work for both?

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
12/23/10 7:53 p.m.

In reply to Hasbro:

Sometimes, a coolant passage leak will actually go from the passage to the outside of the engine, instead of into the combustion chamber. You won't see the mayo, but you'll wonder why on earth you're using so much coolant.

atsaguy, symptoms?

ansonivan
ansonivan HalfDork
12/23/10 11:00 p.m.

atsaguy
atsaguy New Reader
12/30/10 4:21 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim:

Hi Tim..sorry have been on vacation for awhile. I had a problem that I had fixed dealing with the coolent not geting to where it suppoped to get. They also replaced the water pump etc...you know $190 in parts and $400 in labor! I am not savy when it comes to mechanics or the termanology. However no mayo like substance on the dip stick. The guy that fixed my truck told me he ran some sort of test hydrocarbon and it read 1400 then he put sealant and it registered very low ...! I have driven several thousand miles since then and no problems..now I think the guy may have been trying to get work!..go figure...Thank you!

atsaguy
atsaguy New Reader
12/30/10 4:24 p.m.
atsaguy wrote: Hi. I have a Ford Ranger 2001 3.0. Is there a test to check for a blown or bad head gasket? Thanks

Thank you all for the information..very helpful!..my truck is running fine!

atsaguy
atsaguy New Reader
12/30/10 4:26 p.m.

In reply to friedgreencorrado:

Everything seems to be fine with the truck..I have been driving it like crazy and no over heating, no mayo either...I do get the coolant checked which would give some indication that something might be wrong or so i have been told. Thank you for the info!

cwh
cwh SuperDork
12/30/10 5:28 p.m.

I have a '96 Mazda PU with that engine, the Vulcan, You have to work quite hard to destroy it. Mine has over 300K, does not burn oil, misbehave at all, and has been "abused". Not a powerhouse, but good for a truck.

iceracer
iceracer Dork
12/30/10 5:45 p.m.
Hasbro wrote: In reply to iceracer: Does a leak down test not work for both?

True. I just wasn't thinking.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
12/31/10 8:10 a.m.
atsaguy wrote:
atsaguy wrote: Hi. I have a Ford Ranger 2001 3.0. Is there a test to check for a blown or bad head gasket? Thanks
Thank you all for the information..very helpful!..my truck is running fine!

It healed? What did the guy do again?

I have the same truck, so I'm curious.

Dan

carzan
carzan HalfDork
12/31/10 1:06 p.m.

People on another forum I frequent have used this device. It seems to work well. Lisle 75500

internetautomart
internetautomart SuperDork
1/1/11 8:02 p.m.
atsaguy wrote: In reply to BoxheadTim: Hi Tim..sorry have been on vacation for awhile. I had a problem that I had fixed dealing with the coolent not geting to where it suppoped to get. They also replaced the water pump etc...you know $190 in parts and $400 in labor! I am not savy when it comes to mechanics or the termanology. However no mayo like substance on the dip stick. The guy that fixed my truck told me he ran some sort of test hydrocarbon and it read 1400 then he put sealant and it registered very low ...! I have driven several thousand miles since then and no problems..now I think the guy may have been trying to get work!..go figure...Thank you!

The hydrocarbon test is to detect the presence of exhaust gases in the cooling system IIRC

adwardrob
adwardrob New Reader
1/24/13 5:40 a.m.

good discussion i like it..

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
1/24/13 6:47 a.m.

The HC test has been hit or miss at each shop I've worked at. It's a great idea, but for some reason has been erratic. I saw one once where coolant was actually pulsing out of the radiator at idle, we stuck the thing on there just to see and the fluid did not change color even though it too was pulsing, it actually had bubbles blowing through it. Could not tell you why.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
1/24/13 6:53 a.m.
carzan wrote: People on another forum I frequent have used this device.

I am intimidated by that device.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/24/13 7:33 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
carzan wrote: People on another forum I frequent have used this device.
I am intimidated by that device.

Hahaha I was thinking the same thing.

Imagine someone seeing you with that thing and you have to explain "No no it's for working on cars....don't give me that look, I'm serious!"

RossD
RossD UberDork
1/24/13 10:00 a.m.

"It's not my bag, baby!"

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/24/13 2:09 p.m.

I love threads with an unexpected plot twist.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/24/13 2:41 p.m.

I can't wait to see what's in this thread in the year 2015.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mL3rz80a6dRLHNR4l7a9u8dCiBtPwNos50e29VDwZQ6idYzvTmyuSyFHhUA0QuwR