N Sperlo
N Sperlo Reader
5/6/11 6:17 a.m.

My lips for the second time this year have swelled up from what I think its allergies. The first time was after taking Dayquil. I think its from the color Yellow 6 which is oddly enough made in the factory I work in. Yesterday I drank a soda probably loaded in yellow. Has this happened to anyone else? Anybody know of what I can do to prevent the swelling?

No, it its not from "licking something."

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
5/6/11 6:20 a.m.

I wish that was my biggest health worry.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo Reader
5/6/11 6:25 a.m.

I'm very lucky. Very healthy person.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
5/6/11 6:30 a.m.

avoid the color yellow?

Seriously enough, I know 2 people that have severe reactions to the "color red" used in a number of soda, medicines

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
5/6/11 6:31 a.m.
N Sperlo wrote: I'm very lucky. Very healthy person.

You're young. Give it time.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo Reader
5/6/11 6:39 a.m.
Grtechguy wrote: avoid the color yellow? Seriously enough, I know 2 people that have severe reactions to the "color red" used in a number of soda, medicines

Red 40. Which means they went through 39 before finding an alternative to pass the FDA.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar Dork
5/6/11 7:01 a.m.

If the Yellow 6 is made where you work, an allergic reaction may not be all that odd. Probably should see an allergist.

Does taking an antihistamine improve things?

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/6/11 7:04 a.m.

Maybe it's time for Yellow 7

N Sperlo
N Sperlo Reader
5/6/11 7:11 a.m.
Rob_Mopar wrote: If the Yellow 6 is made where you work, an allergic reaction may not be all that odd. Probably should see an allergist. Does taking an antihistamine improve things?

I've never tried. Maybe its something I should ask a doc about... Guess I should get a doc.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
5/6/11 7:22 a.m.
N Sperlo wrote: I've never tried. Maybe its something I should ask a doc about... Guess I should get a doc.

Absolutely not. You should trust your health and well-being to random strangers who reply to you on a car forum. Have you tried applying leeches directly to the area?

N Sperlo
N Sperlo Reader
5/6/11 7:48 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
N Sperlo wrote: I've never tried. Maybe its something I should ask a doc about... Guess I should get a doc.
Absolutely not. You should trust your health and well-being to random strangers who reply to you on a car forum. Have you tried applying leeches directly to the area?

Where can I find said leeches?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
5/6/11 8:06 a.m.

In reply to N Sperlo:

Wade into a stagnant pond as sit a spell. When you come out... just pluck them off.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden HalfDork
5/6/11 8:53 a.m.

Some good old fashioned blood-letting might be the answer or a mercury poultice.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo Reader
5/6/11 9:03 a.m.

One website suggested I have a yeast infection, but I don't have a hoo-ha. Then I found out everyone has yeast apparently and it had nothing to do with that.

Now I know!

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/6/11 10:14 a.m.

Bhahah...best reply EVAR!

Rufledt
Rufledt HalfDork
5/6/11 10:27 a.m.
N Sperlo wrote:
Where can I find said leeches?

I also sell a miracle remedy called "Chimp Oil," not to be mistaken with snake oil. Snake oil never worked because snakes are reptiles, and we are mammals. Chimp oil, on the other hand, comes straight from a primate. Since we use 'free range' chimps, our stuff is purely organic, too. Rub it on before applying the leeches and it is garanteed to improve leech effectiveness by 200%. Yours now for just $25 an ounce! And if you're not totally satisfied, i'll completely disappear with your money.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/6/11 10:37 a.m.

Keep a good supply of Benadryl nearby. You might invest in an epi pen as well. If something is frequently causing swelling you need to get to a doctor or clinic ASAMFP. I have had a bee bite on my neck nearly kill me.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo Reader
5/6/11 11:19 a.m.

Rufledt, how do you extract this chimp oil? Do you use it yourself? You know, they have a name for that.

John, the first time this happened to me I was taking dayquill for the first time. I was also eating pretzels. Yesterday I was eating pretzels. Apparently what I thought was the Dayquill causing this may have been the salt. It does seem to coincide with the swelling. I have been suggested the same things by my partners here, but I tend to stray away from western medicine when possible. Maybe I should stay away from salt also. Thanks though.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar Dork
5/6/11 1:48 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote:
Rob_Mopar wrote: If the Yellow 6 is made where you work, an allergic reaction may not be all that odd. Probably should see an allergist. Does taking an antihistamine improve things?
I've never tried. Maybe its something I should ask a doc about... Guess I should get a doc.

Yea, finding a doc is probably a good idea for life in general.

Years ago I worked for a company that did the washcoat on catalytic converter honeycombs. Employees working there were required to be tested for platinum allergy. The allergy could be developed over time being exposed to the platinum while working there.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden HalfDork
5/6/11 1:59 p.m.

It is possible to develop an allergy to something through repeated contact, epoxy resin is a common one. I have developed an allergy to bee stings, but not every time that I am stung. Unfortunately it is becoming more common for me to have to shoot up after I am stung.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/6/11 2:05 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote: Rufledt, how do you extract this chimp oil? Do you use it yourself? You know, they have a name for that.

You would have to do it manually, hold applicator and shake until oily substance comes out.

QuasiMofo wrote: John, the first time this happened to me I was taking dayquill for the first time. I was also eating pretzels. Yesterday I was eating pretzels. Apparently what I thought was the Dayquill causing this may have been the salt. It does seem to coincide with the swelling. I have been suggested the same things by my partners here, but I tend to stray away from western medicine when possible. Maybe I should stay away from salt also. Thanks though.

Also if those pretzels were from the same bag I would quarantine the bag and send it in. Explain what happenned to the company when you ate them, they will likely send you a new bag and you may have alerted them to a problem with their ingredients or manufacturing. (Call the Comments line as well)

triumph5
triumph5 Dork
5/6/11 2:13 p.m.

It sounds like the salt aggrivated your irritated lips.

The resin-acquired allergy is fairly common, if you are repeatedly exposed to it. More common with polyester resin than epoxy resin. My uncle acquired the allergy after redoing his fiberglass boat. Every stitch of clothing/fabric in the house had to be natural/cotton after he acquired the allergy.

I developed an allergy to the cutting oil that was commonly used in machines shops about 10 years ago. It was recycled so much (clean out the scraps of metal and reuse), we had a team from the University of Connecticut come to the shop to figure out what was going on. The company, before dying, had to switch over to an artificial cutting oil to end the problem. We had guys go out for months on end with growths on their arms, feet,...and put on steroids for months after contracting whatever was in the natural cutting oil. The company considered the workman's comp normal overhead.

MitchellC
MitchellC Dork
5/6/11 8:24 p.m.

Are you not going to tell us what was in the oil? My curiosity is piqued.

4eyes
4eyes HalfDork
5/8/11 11:06 p.m.

Could be an iodine allergy, if the pretzels used iodized salt. Fairly common.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
5/9/11 8:51 a.m.
N Sperlo wrote: One website suggested I have a yeast infection, but I don't have a hoo-ha. Then I found out everyone has yeast apparently and it had nothing to do with that. Now I know!

FTFY

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
R4sHszJbbCFkTFiS4EbXow1ANwBox9TJizghdDpoantMh1ITlQ8H7nkk4AJFUIFf