PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
3/31/16 12:54 p.m.

I'm happy with my 2011/2012 Gateway DX4860-UB33P. 8GB of memory and quad-core 3GHz Intel Core i5-2320 (Socket LGA 1155), and Two USB 3.0 ports. The power supply died, taking the original HD with it, so I've since replaced those, but the power supply I used is quite old (had to use lots of adapters to get it work with modern power plugs).

I don't need more speed, nor do I really need more ram. I'd probably like upgrade to a SSD for operating system and programs, but will use the HD as storage in some capacity.

The biggest issue (pun) I've got these days is the shear size of a desktop.

We're kinda cramped on space, and so I keep the desktop on my computer desk. If I upgrade, the smaller the better.

What I'm wonder is if I can't transplant my RAM, processor, HD, attached to a new motherboard, new SSD, new power supply, and a new graphics card into something like a Micro ATX or Mini-ITX case. If so, is this cost effective?

revrico
revrico GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/31/16 1:02 p.m.

the 1155 has a TON of microatx boards available, I've actually been having trouble finding a full size board. The cost is the motherboard, plus a case, I've seen cases on amazon from 20 to 1000 dollars. Pretty much everything else is easily swappable to any board these days, it's nice things like RAM have finally standardized.

Depending on what you use the system for, you could go super tiny with a Raspberry Pi, but YMMV depending on how intensive of programs you use.

Any new "budget" desktop is going to cost more than a case and MOBO, and deliver almost exactly the same performance you have now, so I'd say you're on the right financial track

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/31/16 1:24 p.m.

You could do that, but maybe you don't even need to change motherboards, just cases. You could get a slim case that sits behind the monitor or hangs on a wall, for example.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
3/31/16 1:33 p.m.

I find it funny when people go through the trouble of mounting the computer to the wall but leave the speakers and monitors on the desk.

Wxdude10
Wxdude10 Reader
3/31/16 1:39 p.m.

From what I can find, it looks like the motherboard in that system is a Micro ATX motherboard. You can probably get it a little smaller. but no where near those really small form factor systems.

Most micro atx mini tower cases are going to be about the size of what you have now. Slim cases will require the use of low profile expansion cards. I assume that you currently have a discrete graphics card and are not using the built in graphics hardware on the motherboard. If you are using the motherboard graphics, then you might be able to get away with the slim case. If not, then you'll need a low profile card or you will need a bigger case. There are desktop cube cases, like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811144305&cm_re=cube_case--11-144-305--Product

That while not being slimmer, definitely reduces the height of the case. I have had one similar to this for at least 6+ years. Very happy with it.

Prices are all over the place, but figure $40-100 range, unless you go all out. Case may already include the power supply.

You might need a new low profile cooler if you are going for a slim case.

Definitely get an SSD. That is by far the biggest bang for your buck upgrade.

If you want to see if you can harvest the parts and put it all into something slimmer, your system is using an Intel H67 chipset. If you can find a mini-itx system that can use your cpu/drive/memory, you could save some there too.

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
3/31/16 1:54 p.m.

Currently I've got no graphics card that I can see. It's listed as having Intel HD Graphics 2000, but I think that's chipset.

I'm in no rush to get back into gaming (sold my XBOX 360 years ago and haven't regretted it), but I'd like the option in the future.

I'd love a slim case or a small HTPC case, and I suppose I'd be ok with a cube as well.

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
3/31/16 2:08 p.m.
Wxdude10 wrote: If you want to see if you can harvest the parts and put it all into something slimmer, your system is using an Intel H67 chipset. If you can find a mini-itx system that can use your cpu/drive/memory, you could save some there too.

WHat would happen if I used a chipset with the same socket (1155), but different chipset type? Like H61 or Z77?

GameboyRMH
3/31/16 2:11 p.m.

You just have to check compatibility, your CPU will work in a Z77 board:

http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Intel_%28chipsets%29/Z77_Express.html

Or an H61 board:

http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Intel_%28chipsets%29/H61_Express.html

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
3/31/16 2:30 p.m.

Sweet. Z77 is the most recent, circa 2012.

pres589
pres589 UberDork
3/31/16 2:51 p.m.

A new power supply that's modular can help make life a bit easier putting a computer together, especially when using a microatx case, as it can let the assembler reduce the cord count coming off of the supply. I used a Rosewood supply that's also fanless in my last computer build and am happy with the selection. It wasn't cheap; I think I paid $120 or so for it, but I would definitely go that route again.

GameboyRMH
3/31/16 2:55 p.m.

Cheapest solution found!

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
3/31/16 3:05 p.m.

Part of my reason for wanting a new motherboard is that I think I either scratched it or broke something near one of the PCI-E ports. It just so happens that I was running a PCI-E card when the power supply went out and took the HD with it, so I've been nervous that the motherboard is damaged in a way that using the PCI-E slots is creating issues.

I'll try to get a picture the spot.

MCarp22
MCarp22 Dork
3/31/16 3:09 p.m.

I'd just get the cow working, sell it,and upgrade to a NUC:

Wxdude10
Wxdude10 Reader
3/31/16 3:24 p.m.

PHeller: Gameboy's got you covered on the chipset side. If you don't play games, what you've got is fine. How much are you looking to spend? MCarp's recommendation for a NUC type box sounds like it would be perfect if you've got some money you'd like to part with.

Something like this:

Core i5-6260U (1.8GHz - Turbo to 2.9) Newegg has a limited time deal that includes 8 GB of DDR4 memory for it. - $379

Then add a M.2 SSD - Start around $50-60 for a 64GB entry level ssd. Goes up from there. Newegg's got a Samsung 850 Evo M.2 250GB SSD for $84. That's a nice price range for a good SSD.

Just something to thing about. There are plenty of options out there.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 Dork
3/31/16 3:32 p.m.

This thread is relevant to my interests. I have an old Dell something desk top in the basement, can't remember why I never used it.

I was wondering if I could swap the guts to a smaller case and use it as a garage computer. Assuming of course it even works...

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
3/31/16 3:38 p.m.

I'd prefer to not go the NUC route yet. They are getting close, but are still relatively expensive.

I don't play games, but I'd like to.

I'm looking to build a smaller PC with the ability to play game at a future date for under $500.

If it's a case of just holding out with this current machine for another year or so, I'm good with that.

With the route many computers are going (like NUC computers) I need to start thinking about external drive enclosures so I can stick my 3 HDes that I've got into that with a CD-DVD drive and put it in a closet until I dump a few photo SD cards onto it.

asoduk
asoduk Reader
4/2/16 8:21 p.m.

I'll just leave this here: http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Boxed-Compute-Windows-Pre-Loaded/dp/B014N4CZE2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1459646468&sr=8-3&keywords=intel+stick

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4ZxP0Y6HbYac7WGNq9zuuVyqXyIN7F4QyxwdXbXdlAvu9EBVlCPRWMGINg0CDQfX