1 2
bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/15/21 2:34 p.m.

In reply to WonkoTheSane (FS) :

We were just over $47k on our Sam's club this year and the last year of being grandfathered in for 2%. We use that thing for everything and pay it off at the end of the month. Never interest. We got notification that they are forcefully changing us over to the 3/2/1 cash back so it'll average out for us to around 1.5% cash back overall.

WonkoTheSane (FS)
WonkoTheSane (FS) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/15/21 2:41 p.m.
bobzilla said:

In reply to WonkoTheSane (FS) :

We were just over $47k on our Sam's club this year and the last year of being grandfathered in for 2%. We use that thing for everything and pay it off at the end of the month. Never interest. We got notification that they are forcefully changing us over to the 3/2/1 cash back so it'll average out for us to around 1.5% cash back overall.

I'm still primarily using the Citi (that I linked to in my first post two years ago) which for my use really does hit nearly 2% (there's very few excluded purchases), so maybe that's a good one to look at for you?

WonkoTheSane (FS)
WonkoTheSane (FS) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/15/21 2:41 p.m.

Speaking of which, Woody, what did you end up with?

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones HalfDork
2/15/21 6:42 p.m.

I use points for travel, since no travel last year, I'm sitting on almost 2 million Amex points. I also have 8 round trip tickets stocked up from cancels. It's crazy. Ill have a hell of a "free" trip when we finally can. 

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
2/15/21 6:52 p.m.

Canadian here so it might not matter.

I have a Visa card from Desjardins, 10.something % interest, something % cash back on groceries and dining.

We like to go out for dinner so the rewards more than pay for the $90 / year fee for the card and I've never found another card lower than 10%.

triumph7
triumph7 Reader
2/15/21 8:22 p.m.

We have a Mastercard through Edward Jones and it can be setup that the "cash back" goes into your investment account.

edwardh80
edwardh80 Reader
2/16/21 8:04 a.m.
NEALSMO said:

If paid off every month the Amazon CC might work well for your needs.  The interest rate isn't very competitive, but the Amazon cash back is useful.

I just accepted a job offer that requires some travel and expense compensation, so I'll be shopping for a card with airline miles or hotel points soon.  Might as well cash in on free money.

We use the amazon card for family purchases. Getting the cash back as amazon credit is handy and helps keep household purchase costs down as much as possible.

Until Covid hit I was travelling regularly. Our company ponies up for Delta reserve credit cards as it gives baggage benefits and free delta lounge access. It's $450 per year, but the latter benefit is justification enough, as access to the free food and drinks in the skyclubs easily covers what we each would have spent on these things anyway.

Side note on hotels: I book all my travel stays using hotels.com. Every 10 nights stayed results in a credit of the average value of those 10 nights towards another night, which I save for family road trips and weekend getaways.

BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter)
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/16/21 10:11 a.m.

For travel cards, it really depends on a few factors - like, are you going to be able to use the same airline every time? If not (for example, I often can't), you're better off with a generic card. Which one depends a lot on how much travel you end up doing because a lot of the top tier cards (like the Chase Sapphire Reserve) have benefits that are really only useful when you travel at least twice a month if not more.

With hotel bookings, you generally want to stay with one or two chains for status, and then booking via hotels.com or other third parties might actually not be the best approach. I often find booking direct - if your company lets you, mine doesn't - gives you the best rates and best benefits.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/11/23 7:24 p.m.

Zombie canoe. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lZzum7lfQ69fHybr6xFSWyZKF5XRoK181x2EWwvl5MjbYnfUdo0pvbygGX7MU6xE