GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/26/13 10:36 a.m.

I decided I want to get a used Android 7" tablet or large phone for 3 specific uses:

1. GPS & spreadsheet for wheelin' and offroad rallies.

2. To act as a display for my RCP data logger, gives some features similar to the SoloStorm app

3. To interface with my MS2x.

As a l33t uber-geek who usually uses more specialized stuff I haven't been following these things much.

Requirements:

• Rootable

• Bluetooth

• Built-in GPS. Not just cell-tower triangulation.

• Non-pathetic storage. Say 8GB. I'll have to cache satellite maps on it. Either that or removable storage is required.

Preferably:

• USB host capability

• Ruggedized

• Removable storage

• Good battery life

Any idea what I should look for? I don't need anything fancy and I'm already in deep in the hole on the computer side of things after my gaming desktop's mobo died, so I want to stick to the used market and keep it as cheap as possible.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
9/26/13 10:58 a.m.

Id have suggested a galaxy like mine, but it has no removable storage. Otherwise in a decent protective case, it should fit the bill. I've got an older one and am very very happy with it.

GameboyRMH
9/26/13 11:01 a.m.

I assume it's not this model, because it has removable storage:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834131530

GameboyRMH
9/27/13 9:01 a.m.

Ran across this while doing some shopping for work...meets the specs and the price is pretty good even when new :

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231151

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
9/27/13 9:05 a.m.

Don't use built in GPS for lap timing. It isn't fast enough. Make sure you have good BT in the tablet and buy an external GPS that can do 20Hz, minimum 10Hz. Actually, your RCP datalogger should already have this so... just be able to read it.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
9/27/13 9:07 a.m.

Research the ASUS thoroughly. I don't trust them, but hear good things.

rotard
rotard Dork
9/27/13 9:46 a.m.

Check out the new Nexus 7's. I'm very impressed with mine so far.

GameboyRMH
9/27/13 9:48 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Don't use built in GPS for lap timing. It isn't fast enough. Make sure you have good BT in the tablet and buy an external GPS that can do 20Hz, minimum 10Hz. Actually, your RCP datalogger should already have this so... just be able to read it.

Yeah the GPS in the tablet is just for telling me where I am when offroad (and doing things that don't have to be super-accurate like pace control), the actual track data logging is all handled by the RCP and the GPS on it is top-notch, very fast and accurate. Up to 100Hz logging. The tablet will just be acting as an interface for it.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/27/13 9:50 a.m.
rotard wrote: Check out the new Nexus 7's. I'm very impressed with mine so far.

Or get one of last years' models for cheaper. I imagine they are still out there. More than enough power for what you need, and my kids have been using the hell out of theirs since Christmas with no hiccups.

ppddppdd
ppddppdd Reader
9/27/13 9:51 a.m.

A used Nexus 7 will fit the bill just fine and they're super cheap.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 Dork
9/27/13 9:56 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Ran across this while doing some shopping for work...meets the specs and the price is pretty good even when new : http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231151

I just bought one and like it a lot.

The0retical
The0retical HalfDork
9/27/13 9:57 a.m.

Woot just had last years nexus 7 referb'd for 130ish dollars. You could buy a new one for only a few bucks more. The advantage there is that it's pretty standardized form factor wise so you can get a bunch of different accessories for it.

I really like the one (2013 edition) I bought. Other than that I'd check Cyanogenmod's website and see what's supported and decide off that.

GameboyRMH
9/27/13 10:15 a.m.

The new Nexus 7s I'm seeing are all more than a new Asus HD7, but I'll need mounts so a better selection of accessories would be good.

The0retical
The0retical HalfDork
9/27/13 10:42 a.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH:

Yea the new ones seem to start around 190 - 220 which is quite a bit more.

Swappa has some of the old (2012) N7s for $100ish. Give it a month or two and I bet you can score a 2013 model for 150 - 160 either there on on ebay.

http://swappa.com/buy/nexus-7-wifi/us

That Asus one you posted looks really nice too though. Maybe a Galaxy Tab 2? I'm looking for the most up to date one on CMs website for tablets. Just to see what all the popular supported ones are since digging through all the threads on XDA is daunting.

http://tech.woot.com/plus/tablets $120 for a SGT 2 7.0

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/27/13 11:03 a.m.

This is relevant to my interests. I just got a Bluetooth module for my ms2x. Are you planning to integrate it into the dash? Will you set it up to boot automatically when the key is turned, and if so how? I would like to use one as some permanent gauges in my build.

GameboyRMH
9/27/13 11:16 a.m.

I'm not doing any dash integration, although all that stuff is possible.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Hq1fm7k01J1m9NIplH1C5LXU3ncRGuaMHqo9GnUDyj72St3OwAQSV0qrnzrOTzN4