SVreX MegaDork
3/23/20 4:14 a.m.

Ever walked through a drive-through?

I have. Many times. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/23/20 7:35 a.m.

I like RevRico's modular sandwich plan.

Change grocery day to grocery and food prep day.

• roll up the slices of your favorite lunch meats and put a sandwich amount of each into ziplock bags.
  • cut your bell peppers, cukes, carrots, etc into strips and put portions into ziplock bags.
  • works with hard boiled eggs, cubed blocks of cheese, etc.
  • a small Tupperware or even a prescription bottle full of ranch for veggie dippin'
Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/23/20 8:03 a.m.

When I was driving a full sized service van, I had a 3000 watt inverter and a microwave on one of the shelves. That opens up all sorts of lunch possibilities. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/23/20 8:20 a.m.

In reply to Toyman01 :

Unfortunately I only have a 1000w inverter but you got me thinking. 

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/23/20 9:05 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

There are a few microwaves that use under 1000 watts. Most are 1050 and up though.

This guy only uses 850 watts. 

Small Micro

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/23/20 9:12 a.m.

Nobody has said MREs? Get some MREs. 

Lots of good ideas so far- get a good quality hot/cold cooler and go nuts. Bringing leftovers is the easiest way to do this, just make an extra portion of whatever you're having the night before.

Stampie
3/23/20 11:08 a.m.

Today my job right before lunch was about 1/4 mile from a Publix.  Here's today's lunch.

Sushi (California roll brown rice)

Noticed these were on sale buy one get one free and who doesn't like a good cracker?  This will also give me something in the van to snack on.

Stampie
3/23/20 11:27 a.m.

Maybe I shouldn't have done the crackers.  Sushi lunch was only 250 calories.  Then my fat ass burned through 400 calories in crackers.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
3/23/20 11:30 a.m.

Order some MREs. Some are surprisingly good. SOME.

Stampie
3/23/20 11:37 a.m.

In reply to N Sperlo :

I was a excellent MRE trader/cook when I did JRT with those Army types.  That was enough MREs for this fly boy.

Peabody here
Peabody here UltimaDork
3/23/20 11:44 a.m.
bearmtnmartin said:

When I was on a machine all day I would make something like a burrito or chicken wrap in tin foil and put it on the exhaust manifold an hour before lunch time. 

I worked in a powder metal plant for 20 years. On weekend night shift I would put a rack of ribs, or bunch of chicken legs in a cake pan, season and cover with foil. Just after I got there at 7PM I put them on the top of a sintering furnace and let them cook (external temp 200 F) until 11 when I would drain the liquid so they would crisp up about midnight. Everybody thought I was nuts until they tasted my furnace ribs.

Back on topic, on days I would often take a salad and can of salmon for lunch. It didn't require heating and it was very healthy.

Stampie
3/23/20 5:11 p.m.

Decided on a game plan.  I'm cool with Publix for lunch. Plenty of variety and hell to be honest I can eat a quart of potato salad for lunch and be happy.  Looking ahead I can see me working as things are shut down so I decided to have a little stash in my van.

All these don't require refrigeration. I grabbed the Thai tuna first then said wtf 90 calories won't feed a fat boy like me so I grabbed a couple of family packs also. I think I'll grab some other things until I have a week worth of lunches ready in case. 

79rex
79rex Reader
3/23/20 6:08 p.m.

+1 for the tuna packages.  They have no prep time, and are mixed in mostly tastey flavors.  I get Kroger brand from picknsave for 89 cents when it's on sale.  I'll usually grab some day old bread off the rack too.  And boom, that's my lunch.  I'll throw an apple or banana in my bag too.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
U1TzBg1uhUJysxAulzcbFCSFIQovM9u825ZujOLbKXopGcU1gjf7MAH2aGMG3ElV