pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/19/19 11:11 a.m.

I'm looking for some home remedy advice from other old-timers like me. I'm new to the world of minivans, and I'm having an issue now that the weather has turned cold. The rubber seals around the door freeze and hold the door closed. I'm thinking there's something to apply to the rubber seals to prevent them from freezing and sticking. Petroleum jelly? Silicone lubricant? Chicken soup? This had to be a common problem up north. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
12/19/19 11:12 a.m.

Spray seals with wd40.  Well really put on a rag and wipe on the seals. Dont have wd40?  Basically any spray oil silicone will work.  

The internets will tell you that seals will dry out, your cows will dry up, your fields will become barren and dead goats will rain from the sky if you do this because "the seals will dry out"  these people dont live up north. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
12/19/19 11:12 a.m.

Shotgun?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/19/19 11:14 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

Spray seals with wd40

This.  Doesn't hurt to do the lock cylinders and mechanisms, too.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/19/19 11:54 a.m.

Silicone spray is a chemically safer choice than WD40. Both will prevent ice from sticking but you can be sure the silicone won't degrade the door seal rubber.

jimbbski
jimbbski SuperDork
12/19/19 11:59 a.m.
GameboyRMH said:

Silicone spray is a chemically safer choice than WD40. Both will prevent ice from sticking but you can be sure the silicone won't degrade the door seal rubber.

In fact the silicone keeps the rubber seals from drying out over time.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
12/19/19 12:01 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

does it really?  do you have experience?

I'll wait while you find evidence...  

**Micheal Jackson eating popcon.gif**

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/19/19 12:05 p.m.

Wipe the seals with Armor-All because it won't hurt.  Spray silicone the metal edges, door handles and locks.

We acquired a 2008 Maxima, hate it.  Door opens higher on top than the bottom, snow-rain falls right into the seat.  Trunk hinges are BELOW the trunk rain gutters.  OK in the land or the rising sun, but hell we got weather!

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
12/19/19 12:12 p.m.

I usually clean and wax the mating surface  on the door frame and then silicon the E36M3 out of the seals.  Doing it once a winter seems to work.

02Pilot
02Pilot SuperDork
12/19/19 12:13 p.m.

Gummipflege for the seals. Lock-eze for the locks.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
12/19/19 12:15 p.m.
pinchvalve said:

I'm thinking there's something to apply to the rubber seals to prevent them from freezing and sticking.

Yes!  It's called "heat."

I'll let myself out....cheeky

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
12/19/19 12:33 p.m.
02Pilot said:

I agree on the Gummipflege, but I'd go with Tri-Flow for the locks. Graphite has been superseded by silicone and teflon based lubes; the graphite builds up in the locks and collects grit and causes wear. It was the bees knees in the 50s but nowadays it's not the superior product. Even our awesome local old school "walls of keys" locksmith uses tri-flow over graphite lubes.

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
12/19/19 12:38 p.m.

We applied Aerospace 303 to the seals of both the Prius and the Saturn wagons (S Series are notorious for frozen door gaskets) this fall after buying a gallon on the recommendation of ths very forum.  Have not had any problems since.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
12/19/19 12:40 p.m.

Tri-flow for locks. Wax on paint in door jambs a couple times during winter months without wiping it off.

Toebra
Toebra Dork
12/19/19 3:01 p.m.
02Pilot said:

Yes, Gummiplege is best for the seals, do not use WD 40 on them

I have Phil's Tenacious Oil I use in locks though, Triflow is also good.

02Pilot
02Pilot SuperDork
12/19/19 3:16 p.m.

Learn something new every day. I've only got half a can of Lock-eze left, so I'll get some Triflow once it's gone.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
12/19/19 3:33 p.m.

It's excellent that this thread came up as I was going to start one. On my 06 Sienna the doors freeze quite often, especially the sliding doors. I'd like to remedy this. Yesterday I found two tubes of molykote 111 from dow corning in a box that was destined for the dumpster at work. They were brand new unused and I figured it was dumb to see them thrown away. I grabbed them and read that they are silicone based. I figured I could use them to lube my sunroof on the Delica, but now I'm thinking it might work on the door seals of the Sienna. Anything wrong with using asilicone based substance on rubber seals? 

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/20/19 1:24 p.m.

Well, I went to the store and got some silicone spray and applied liberally to all door seals. This morning, in 19-degree weather, I am happy to report that the doors were no longer stuck. Thanks hive!  I was also somewhat surprised to see another can of silicone spray in the cabinet when I put the new one away. DOH!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
myek3t2Ss9JJzkpO7309xQN99HOkt2DlsDXgVGKMwN1mW2bGxszBh1yVXGhXTyfI