1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 22
Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
1/3/18 3:46 p.m.
secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/3/18 3:58 p.m.
Ed Higginbotham said:

We made a super special unboxing video for David's box! Enjoy.

Is it just me or is there something missing?  blush

paranoid_android
paranoid_android UltraDork
1/3/18 6:03 p.m.

In reply to secretariata :

You mean like a fan with no guard on it to open the box with?

glueguy
glueguy GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/3/18 6:52 p.m.

David,

The Crash up derby 57 Chevy with the body panels that popped off - YES!!! Thank you for resurrecting a dormant memory. That made my night. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/3/18 7:10 p.m.
glueguy said:

David,

The Crash up derby 57 Chevy with the body panels that popped off - YES!!! Thank you for resurrecting a dormant memory. That made my night. 

You're welcome--and that box of stuff totally made my day. I believe I had a '57 Chevy Nomad and a VW Bug. Both might have been blue. 

secretariata
1/3/18 7:18 p.m.
paranoid_android said:

In reply to secretariata :

You mean like a fan with no guard on it to open the box with?

I meant the video...I don't see it in the post from Ed and I quoted his post and don't see it my post.  Not sure what/why I'm missing it.

David S. Wallens
1/3/18 7:22 p.m.

Weird. I see it. Clear your cache? 

secretariata
1/3/18 7:31 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Just did and when I came back to this page the link to the video showed up for about 2 seconds and now Ed's post is blank after the text again...Using the latest version of Firefox (57.0.3).

David S. Wallens
1/3/18 7:53 p.m.

Hmmm. I'll post the video embed again right here. Let me know if it works.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/4/18 9:05 a.m.

Might be because it is a facebook video? 

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/4/18 10:02 a.m.

Had my box for over a week now (probably closer to two), but have either been out of town, sick, or too swamped with other things that needed to be done to really go through my box until last night (and even then I was unfortunately too rushed to really go through it at a leisurely pace and enjoy looking through all the books/magazines since it was late). But... at least have pictures to post...

(NOTE: I apologize for most of the pictures being upside down... I fought with Photobucket for a while and thought they were all fixed, and then they're all berked up when I put them here...)

I was initially a bit confused when I first got the box because it didn't have a person as the return address but a company- though one that did look suspiciously familiar. The box looked like it had seen better days as well- one corner was clearly split. I didn't realize that it was tradition to re-use the box from the previous year, but it looks like this one was part of that- don't know if this one will make it to next year (though I think I still have the one from last year...)

OK, so this explains the confusion- it was sent from GRM since David apparently got me this year!

Unsurprisingly, there's a good selection of GRM and Classic Motorsports issues.

What I found really cool was that there are some OOOOLD issues of the magazine- the oldest of which is from 1996, probably right around when I got the first car I actually owned.

Stickers! (and vinyl) A bunch of CRC stickers, a small horde of GRM bumper stickers, several GRM logo vinyl stickers, several Classic Motorsports vinyls & stickers, a Koni sticker, a Racer Walsh Co. sticker, a Daytona 24 Hour Classic sticker, and a GRM Dork vinyl- I may have to see if I can figure out the font so I can use the Makerspace's vinyl cutter to make an 'Ultra' to insert into the middle of that one.

A PRI issue (this should be fun) & David's badge from PRI2014, a 64-72 Chevelle data & ID guide, a Quail Lodge auction guide, a Pebble Beach 2017 Media Pass, a 2014 Circuit of the Americas badge, and several lanyards.

Several cool books- Hot Rod Gallery & Hot Rod Gallery II, a book on custom air suspension, a Lane Motor Museum Breaking News, and a McCall book- I'm looking forward to having time to look through all of these.

Several copies of the GRM Trackside Companion and the Classic Motorsports Glovebox Companion, a GRM patch and a NASA patch, an issue of the Osmond Beach Observer (GRM's local paper?), and a Pirelli World Challenge 2018 program.

A GRM sock hat (will be very useful) and can opener on a lanyard, a Hot Wheels, General Tire light-up emblem & drink coozie, a carabeener keychain, a nic Mazda keychain, another lanyard, a Classic Motorsports patch, a car pin, and a small toy car

A selection of pens- the Sharpie will likely get the most use. Amusingly there is a pen that apparently originally held a 2GB flash drive which is now absent.

Finally, there was some cool chocolate- a classic coupe chocolate popsicle and a bag with a chocolate motorcycle (which didn't fare so well in transit) and some nonpariels.

Overall a pretty neat selection! I'm looking forward to getting the chance to look through the books and older issues of the magazines more closely, and eating the chocolate of course!

Is it safe to assume that the stickers and vinyl are considered free promotional materials that I can put on my Challenge car at no budget hit? :P

Thanks David!

boaty mcfailface
boaty mcfailface UberDork
1/4/18 11:53 a.m.
mtn said:

Might be because it is a facebook video? 

this. i saw the embedded videos last night at home, currently blocked here at work. 

I thought the package I sent out was due for delivery friday but it should be arriving today. 

David S. Wallens
1/4/18 3:04 p.m.

Enjoy the stuff, Robert. Yeah, I wish I knew where that flash drive went. It might be somewhere in my desk. Or it could be anywhere else in the world. I remember that being a smooth pen, though. 

That newspaper's cover story is about our local skatepark, and I was quoted. The reporter came to one of my "old people" BMX evenings. While cleaning up my office/pulling stuff for your box, I realized that I had a small stash. That's my friend Dale on the cover. That's my wife's old Civic Si on the cover of that June 2001 issue. That's my friend Rob's white Miata on the cover, too. The chocolates are from Nancy because she's the best. 

Enjoy, again, and hope it's been a good holiday season. 

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/4/18 3:31 p.m.

I finally got around to documenting my haul.

I received a set of springs that may come in handy for the Midlana, a shift knob with anodized trim rings in several colors, a toy ZX3, a hotwheels mini, sunglasses, locking lug nuts, impact sockets, a transformer (the electrical kind), rubber donut, super balls, a nifty spring loaded adjustable wrench, some brackets of some sort, a gear wrench, business card holder and an odd bolt with another bolt that threads into the top in a kar audio package that has me stumped.

Thanks Santa!

tomtomgt356
tomtomgt356 GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/4/18 6:27 p.m.

A box showed up today, with a lot of cool stuff!

- Stick-on Velcro

- A radiator fin straightener (which I have been meaning to buy but keep forgetting to get)

- A terminal cleaning kit

- An action cam with a bunch of accessories (will be going in the track car)

- Welding pliers

- A funnel

- A clamp

- A tire gauge

- An interesting lock

- A wire brush

- (4) 5/8 locking nuts

- An Allen key

- A brass elbow

- A pulley

- Two sliding brackets, from something cool

- A tool set with requisite 10mm

- And some metal spring clamp things that I'm sure will be useful for something, but I'm not 100% sure what they are for 

Thank you, secret Santa, for an awesome box!

secretariata
1/4/18 7:15 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Hmmm. I'll post the video embed again right here. Let me know if it works.

Nope.  I don't see the video in either Ed's post or yours.  Updated Firefox to 57.0.4.

David S. Wallens
1/4/18 8:30 p.m.

Okay. We'll have it on YouTube shortly. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/4/18 8:57 p.m.

The red thing looks like a socket holder. Slide the doodads apart and away you go.

daeman
daeman Dork
1/4/18 10:09 p.m.

Ok, I got mine sent out at last, one Australian package Wisconsin bound. The recipient should see it some time next week :)

Burrito
Burrito Dork
1/4/18 10:51 p.m.

My box arrived this morning and I tore into before a single drop of caffeine hit my veins, so I must have been pretty excited.

First layer of goodies included a Holley linkage kit and a Proform rebuilt kit for said Holley.

Next round of fun netted me a copy of Bio Freaks on PS1, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 on PS1 (so, so many hours of my youth spent playing this game!), a Kit Car DVD of unknown provenance, and a bootleg copy of Evil Dead 2.  We're huge fans of Bruce Campbell at Casa de Burrito.  Well done!

Then Stephen King's The Stand (which I honestly have never seen) and a variety of computer fans.

Then a CPU keychain, a Toyota clutch alignment tool, an Ibanez Bass overdrive pedal, and a mini 12-24v amplifier with one bad channel.

A disc with which one can Frolf. 

And then some really good E36 M3!  Brand-new 37lb injectors from Racetronix!  Pretty much perfect for a Fiat turbo project!  These should end up on either the 128 or the 850 this year.

And last, but certainly not least, a very special sign!  Going way back with my currently mothballed Fiat 850 project, affectionately known as the Sub-Liter Beater (technically it's The 1.3l Beater now, but who's counting?).

You absolutely crushed it, SingleSlammer!  

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/5/18 8:30 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Cool, thanks for the additional info!

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
1/5/18 10:33 a.m.

In reply to Burrito :

Glad you liked it! I had forgotten I had those injectors until I started digging through my tool box. Glad you can make them work! 

I have so much random crap that I am happy to pawn some off on you.

Shameless self pimp. I can make signs for other people!

David S. Wallens
1/5/18 1:38 p.m.

My unboxing video, now on YouTube:

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/5/18 1:39 p.m.

Finally got my box into the mail yesterday (sorry, $RECIPIENT!), only a few days after receiving one from my secret Santa...

Speaking of which... Stuff! And things!

That's most all of it; some stuff is hilarious, some stuff is universal garage cruft, and some stuff is useful! (You can never have too many combo screwdrivers. They're like guitar picks; you should just have so many of them stashed here and there that they're always to hand). There's also a particularly useful item missing, which I may explain later, but I already had three of them, and it would be genuinely useful to someone who didn't have one, so, I, uh, regifted it.

Anyhow, thank you, secret Santa! That was awesome!

The 2002 WRX literature is awesome. I was so excited when those arrived, though I was not near being able to acquire one at the time, but the sheer existence of it, and Subaru's (apparent) enthusiasm for autocross, etc... It was a heady moment!

I have to give extra humor points for the 12V Febreeze:

I kinda figure the cars I own fall into one of two categories: Ones which are too far gone for that to help, or ones where Febreeze isn't going to be an improvement.

This is probably the funniest, though:

The extra humor comes from the confusion for this urban-living guy who gets outdoors mostly to ride a bicycle. I'm currently trying to figure out how to safely dispose of it, or whether my brother in law, who does hunt, might use it. OTOH, I don't know if there are red foxes where he lives; I'm guessing it's no help masking human scent with something else that would make a game animal go "*sniff sniff*. W... T... F?"

Also, really glad it wasn't Redd Foxx urine.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/5/18 3:38 p.m.

Apparently USPS didn't take kindly to my box o' fun. However there were some enticing rattles when I carried it inside... I'll open it up after work and share my haul. 

1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 22

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
y38SOgclg43ZgjLRjG0DX2QSVrPRjQoq4zetmXCk5Dp95raV9yYYvvCz1K5wLsae