1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 22
Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/9/18 6:13 p.m.

In reply to Mezzanine :

Glad you liked it! I have to admit to everyone that I cheated a little because I  knew what you wanted and the better late than never message was because I have been meaning to send you some of that stuff for probably a year, maybe more.

I don't remember putting that plastic bag in there, which is odd, and there should be two of those drain stoppers, which I actually think might be odd wheel center caps. I meant to also include a really old pair of pink water shoes, but I got home from the post office and they were still in my car. Oops. The key that I have held onto for a vehicle I haven't owned since 2006, I just want you to know I moved at least 4 times after I sold that bike and I still had the key. That has to say something.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/9/18 6:43 p.m.

In reply to Burrito :

Just arrived today! And now the unveiling...

Woohoo, craft paper! Oh wait, there's probably something under there...

Yup, definitely some stuff in there.

First up a "Dustfoe Respirator" tin (for dusts and mists.) I spent a solid few minutes just checking this thing out before i even made it to the contents. Super cool. Now lets see whats inside...

A Chevy key chain on a wrench from Ayers Chevrolet in Hamilton, Montana, assorted drill bits, a small round tin labeled "assorted cotter pins" that did in fact contain assorted got her pins, a small set of feeler gauges, what I think is a leather punch, a glass vial which did not survive transit, a label presumably contained within the vial at some point with faded writing that possibly says something about "venereal capsules", and a super cool old Firestone tire pressure gauge.

Additionally, we have a pair of safety glasses, Mechanix gloves, full set of SAE ratcheting wrenches, a relay, some rubber number things (bump stops maybe?), a key/bottle opener thing, a Fiat and an Alfa(?) badge, and a....thing? Judging by the note Mr. Burrito has no clue either.

Last but not least, a pair of stickers and a pair of patches, plus a Hot Wheels GTI. That Vespa patch is awesome!

Thanks a ton Burrito, some very cool trinkets in there, and lots of useful items too! Cheers!

Edit: Damnit, I don't know why the portrait oriented pics are all messed up.

Burrito
Burrito Dork
1/9/18 8:18 p.m.

In reply to Furious_E :

I'm pretty sure the broken glass vial contained the drill bits.  In retrospect, it probably wasn't the best idea to send pointy metal things in a brittle old piece of glass surrounded by other metal things.  At least you were well protected with safety glasses and a fresh pair of gloves!

The "Good luck" item is a Grant steering wheel adapter that came with a swap meet steering wheel.  I know it isn't for a MK1 VW or Fiat, so I've already helped narrow down the search.  wink

I'll be honest, though.  You left out my favorite part, and what I assumed was the most useful item in the box!

Jumper K Balls
Jumper K Balls PowerDork
1/9/18 8:20 p.m.

I received a box from Washington DC last night bit have yet to be home ling enough to open it yet.  Sometime tomorrow!

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/9/18 9:15 p.m.

In reply to Burrito :

Derp. I suck at writing long posts on my tablet.

It's two part urethane for casting. This will actually prove quite useful, I'm already considering remaking the isolators on my lower radiator mounts for the RX7 with it.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/9/18 9:29 p.m.
Burrito said:

The "Good luck" item is a Grant steering wheel adapter that came with a swap meet steering wheel.  I know it isn't for a MK1 VW or Fiat, so I've already helped narrow down the search.  wink

All Grant steering wheel components should say "Good Luck" on them...

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage HalfDork
1/9/18 10:09 p.m.
singleslammer said:

I think that this Secret Santa pick was not so random. How did one of the only members with an x1/9 get the other x1/9 owner. I smell a conspiracy! smiley

I got paired up with another 3rd Gen Camarobird guy last year. I think it's just bound to happen.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/9/18 10:50 p.m.
AClockworkGarage said:
singleslammer said:

I think that this Secret Santa pick was not so random. How did one of the only members with an x1/9 get the other x1/9 owner. I smell a conspiracy! smiley

I got paired up with another 3rd Gen Camarobird guy last year. I think it's just bound to happen.

(whistling, exits stage left)

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
1/10/18 4:03 a.m.

In reply to Hungary Bill :

Rush fan?

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/10/18 6:53 a.m.

ECM, you know he is!  His big moment in the Sun is coordination of an International gift exchange.  All the world is indeed his stage, and we are merely players.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
1/10/18 7:01 a.m.

I got my box on Monday and its really great,but I won't be able to get around to posting pics until this evening. 

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage HalfDork
1/10/18 7:46 a.m.
EastCoastMojo said:

Rush fan?

There are two kinds of people in this world. Those who like Rush, and those who are wrong.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/10/18 8:32 a.m.
WonkoTheSane said:
  Did you notice the note on the bottom of the Hotwheels?  That was the best I could do on no-effort 
Actually, they do not make a Fiesta ST model in any scale, including Hot Wheels, so thank you for the effort.  My son got lots of Hot Wheels tracks for Christmas, so the car already has a lot of miles on it! 
Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
1/10/18 9:45 a.m.
AngryCorvair said:

ECM, you know he is!  His big moment in the Sun is coordination of an International gift exchange.  All the world is indeed his stage, and we are merely players.

I, for one, am happy to be a pawn in Hungary Bill's devious plots. Especially since I've so clearly reaped the benefits this time around. laugh

barefootskater
barefootskater Reader
1/10/18 9:50 a.m.

In reply to AClockworkGarage :

My old drummer used to tell me that. A few years of age and (hopefully) wisdom, and I realized something: I was wrong. 

I have since seen the error of my ways

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/10/18 10:35 a.m.

Nah, Rush is nothing new
They're just a waste of time
I have no need for ancient ways
The world is doing fine
Another toy that helped destroy
The elder race of man
Forget about your silly whim
It doesn't fit the plan.

Odd fact:  my parents went to a Rush concert when my mom was pregnant with me.  

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/10/18 12:20 p.m.

Mind = blown

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/10/18 12:25 p.m.
pinchvalve said:
Actually, they do not make a Fiesta ST model in any scale, including Hot Wheels, so thank you for the effort.  My son got lots of Hot Wheels tracks for Christmas, so the car already has a lot of miles on it! 

Oh, well, that'd do it then.  I even looked at TWO whole dollar stores!  Of course, we were there to get a $5 gift for my kids' school exchange, but still :)

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/10/18 3:09 p.m.
pinchvalve said:

Almost forgot, this was in there too.  Guessing some sort of brake line distribution thingy?

I believe an S4 (1986-1988) Mazda RX7 oil metering pump in decent shape.  Worth between $25 and $100 to the right person.  The chain and gears you posted earlier are from a rotary engine as well.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/10/18 4:18 p.m.

Why hello there!

Gee, wonder who this box is from.  *note: intake manifold spacer was not an item from the game, just was handy.

"Josh, what's that??"

"Lemme sniff"

"Smells like it might be yummy" *doesn't everything?

"That doesn't look yummy" (earplugs)

"Well, maybe if there's a few of them.." (There were a bunch)

"They don't smell hot.."

"Woah.  That ones been places"

"Uh.. that one smells a little scary" (sweet old-timey glass fuel filter I think.  I'm probably going to turn it into a light fixture once I figure out how to do so in a manner that doesn't include kaboom)

"SQUIRREL!" (definitely more interesting than the sweet bulkhead fitting that I'm totally going to use with a microsquirt project).

My wife got a bit bored taking pics at this point. First pile-o-stuff shot:

I'll summarize in the next post since I'm afraid the board/my browser will eat this one.

Pile-o-stuff the 2nd:

Good excuse to add a new top row:

At this point, I was most excited about the little foam glider that I used to LOVE when I was little. Oddly, Sunny, our half husky (doesn't do fetch) got particularly curious about it as well. He wasn't sure what to make of it when it landed on his daybed.

"Is it dead??"

I swear, I wasn't trying to do this.  Figured that was a good place to end the night.

Thanks again, Mezz! Next post I'll address the individual items.  Some of this stuff is really cool.

Max Balchowsky
Max Balchowsky New Reader
1/10/18 4:34 p.m.
AClockworkGarage said:
EastCoastMojo said:

Rush fan?

There are two kinds of people in this world. Those who like Rush, and those who are wrong.

And that, folks, is why this place continues to be the most intelligent internet forum on the planet

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
1/10/18 5:00 p.m.

In reply to bluej :

Oh man, if I'd known you had such a fancy license plate wall I would have found a better plate for you! That one came off my 1966 Dodge Sweptline pickup.

A bunch of those items are regifts from previous years. Of note, the 1966 Popular Mechanics is from Australia, as are the stickers, keys, and bottle coozie.

The fuel filter thing is actually an air separator/filter. It would make a killer light! The electrical bulkhead connection is an AMP connector: very common in many industries and you should be able to get pins easily. That one came out of a sawmill I pillaged in Canada.

Glad you like the foam airplane - I too love those things.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/10/18 5:16 p.m.

In reply to bluej :

Are you Doug DeMuro?!?

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/10/18 5:40 p.m.
Javelin said:

In reply to bluej :

Are you Doug DeMuro?!?

Uhh.. no, I'm Bluej cheeky (also Josh)

I confess I don't know who that is.

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UberDork
1/10/18 5:50 p.m.

In reply to bluej :

Is that a saw bench?  Also, I had dozens of those foam gliders when I was a kid.  I could seldom get them to fly.

1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 22

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9Gt1EUeK6JqjY4A4pEeSA4Axk1NL6GMkGBSWbSy7Z06G0ZcZr4ShY0Q21FSJZh5I