1 2
Vajingo
Vajingo New Reader
7/3/20 10:27 p.m.

I am wanting to get as "close" to Area 51 as lawfully possible. I was told contact this specific forum because: 1)the people here are crazy enough 2) there is a good mix of unusual and informed here. 
help me *not* get arrested/fined/shot in the head. 
Preferably, first hand experience. 

few websites tell me the dirt road outside of Rachel takes you to the posted signs. Another said try the west side. Wife can't hike 1,000ft shale cliffs to Tikaboo. 

oh, and "no" we are not "storming Area 51". Just sight seeing while in Nevada. 

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
7/3/20 10:37 p.m.

No knowledge to lend, just be careful and post any pictures you get!

rustyvw
rustyvw GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/3/20 10:46 p.m.

No help, but be careful.  I've heard that trespassers don't get much warning.  I'm pretty sure it's not worth the risk, I bet all you would see are some hangers and admin buildings.

Vajingo
Vajingo New Reader
7/3/20 11:27 p.m.

In reply to rustyvw :

Yeah that's what I'm hoping for. We aren't Mulder and Scully. Just conspiracy buffs that want a fun picture for the vacation. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/3/20 11:30 p.m.

Don't think you can get close enough now to see anything. 

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/3/20 11:38 p.m.

If you are met on the gravel road by angry dudes with guns be sure to record. That would be a nice souvenir by itself.

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/4/20 1:51 a.m.

Just drive to the town of Tonopah and then head Northwest. You'll be on the border of the area legally for miles and miles. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/4/20 6:53 a.m.
Vajingo said: 

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I thought everything in Area 51 was moved out and went to Dugway Proving ground. so what are they protecting?  In 2005 the Army weapons research facility wanted me to go there for something or other, then I read about a "mishap" that killed 6200 sheep in the valley.  Pass.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/4/20 8:20 a.m.

Are we just going to gloss over the little tidbit  that someone out there in the world heard Vajingo talking about Area 51 and their first thought was, "got to GRM, those guys are nuts."

That's our reputation.

I love it.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/4/20 8:22 a.m.

Not much to add.  I did that drive out of Tonopah once.  Lots of fence.

I have flown over it or nearly over it a dozen times.  Didn't see any green aliens, but they were probably using their skin transparency cloaking.

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
7/4/20 12:09 p.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

Are we just going to gloss over the little tidbit  that someone out there in the world heard Vajingo talking about Area 51 and their first thought was, "got to GRM, those guys are nuts."

That's our reputation.

I love it.

And yet accurate.  My favorite strange educated bunch.

The0retical (Forum Supporter)
The0retical (Forum Supporter) UberDork
7/4/20 4:28 p.m.

Honestly you see weirder stuff out in the California high desert between Edwards, Lockheed Martin, General Atomics ASI, and China Lake.

Plus you can get way closer to it. I spent a lot of time in flight test facilities.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/4/20 5:12 p.m.

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

One thread on finding horse blood and suddenly you're the clearing house for strange information.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/4/20 5:37 p.m.

That's our reputation.

I love it.

The first thing I thought of was "THEYRE ONTO US! RUN!" 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/4/20 5:41 p.m.

That's our reputation.

I love it.

I want to know who pointed him here and how do they know us crying

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/4/20 5:50 p.m.
Vajingo said:

Damn, I was just going to tell you to Naruto-run so you could move faster than their bullets laugh

But yeah you can get shot if you cross the fence(line), so don't, for sightseeing you have your choice of the usual vantage points, there are no real secrets to getting as close to Area 51 as lawfully possible.

You might get a kick out of finding the hidden security seismometers around the perimeter but this will also attract security attention, so maybe do that when you're ready to leave cheeky

One unusual experience a guy I used to chat online with had was following the white bus in(to the turn toward the security checkpoint at which point you should keep straight and let it go). It's an employee transport bus and it goes screaming through the desert at high speed. You could probably find something resembling a schedule with a little sleuthing.

Conspiracy-wise, any juicy stuff you might see there is the sort of thing that journalists and military observers write longread articles about and the tinfoil hat crowd tends to be uninterested in cheeky

slefain
slefain PowerDork
7/5/20 8:16 p.m.

Gotta come in via the back side of the mountains. Not over, but through! I know just the vehicle for making the run:

You'll have to supply your own oscillation overthruster though. Just remember, if you don't connect the dots you'll never break through.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/6/20 12:51 a.m.

Yeah, last I heard there is not much there anymore (except maybe some very serious toxic waste issues).  20 years ago, fun stuff.  

You will see much more interesting stuff at Mohave airport / spaceport, including a (what has to a pretty out of control these days) airliner storage and junk yard.

Willow Springs is not far from there, so you can see if anything fun is going on there also.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
7/6/20 8:33 p.m.

I have flown by on the north and the south sides many times in the high 30000' to mid 40000' altitudes. Nothing to see in the day, at night there were  a lot of lights.  That was 18 to 20 years ago.

At the same time there were several  Boeing 737s that left McCarran field,Las Vegas,  several times per day going to Groom Lake hauling  passengers.  They were white  with red stripes and an N number. Very non descript . No one on the Airport" knew what was happening. "

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/6/20 9:48 p.m.

In reply to pilotbraden :

Janet Airlines. 

Vajingo
Vajingo New Reader
7/12/20 2:57 p.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to pilotbraden :

Janet Airlines. 

That's one of our stops. Believe it or not, we will be staking out the third level of the parking garage to film some janet's. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/12/20 3:29 p.m.

Not much to see. You can get the N numbers, but they are pretty non-descript. White with a red stripe.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
7/12/20 4:38 p.m.

I'd probably better to look for one of the nukes the air force lost over Virginia. Also was the guy who told you this a fan of hats and sunglasses laugh?

aircooled said:

You will see much more interesting stuff at Mohave airport / spaceport, including a (what has to a pretty out of control these days) airliner storage and junk yard.

And that junkyard (plus the one full of WW2 destroyers) still had semi-operational prototypes in it years ago- there was some WiGE/aerofoil design the navy cooked up that was stashed there because it was a failed test chassis that nobody wanted to buy.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/12/20 5:13 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

In a court deposition for an accident the ambulance chaser didn't understand there were different makes of buses and when he didn't understand my answer I channeled Johnny and answered to the effect of "its big and white and square with a pretty blue stripe. It looks like a giant Wonder bread." My lawyer and the stenographer needed a couple minutes before they could go one. 

Vajingo
Vajingo New Reader
7/15/20 10:29 p.m.

Update. We made it to the A51 back gate. As advised, the fed in the white pickup on the hill watched us, as soon as we were nearby, the lights came on and he moved into position. We left hastily, as my lady got anxiety. 

as we left, I completely forgot what time it was. We managed to time this perfectly, a friend told me that people leave a51, through that gate, around 5pm. He said it's usually a large, white school bus with tinted windows and some device antenna thing on the bottom. 

as we neared the 375 highway, I joked "imagine if the white truck appeared behind us in our dust trail?!" 
I kid you not, as we slowed, there were not one, but TWO vehicles following us out. we were the only ones on this dirt road the whole time. 

my lady expressed to know the plan. I said, "if it's the guard truck, we are not moving. Since, if they want us, they'll get us. Even the mighty rental Q50 (TTV6!) can't our run the feds."

We waited. To my surprise, out of the dust emerges... a broke ass 2000's Jeep Cherokee?!? Missing paint in large quantities. I rolled down my window, figuring this was somebody that I had somehow missed at the gate. I wave, he doesn't even look. Guy behind the wheel appeared to be a scientist, judging by his clothes and glasses and hair. He blew the stop sign and was GONE. 

we waited for vehicle #2. Up rolls a white, 2005 ish Tahoe. Four regular joes inside. They too did not stop to conversation (most ufo/conspiracy types like to chat) But upon closer inspection there were things amiss. The four inside were very, ordinary. Too ordinary. Four "regular" men emerge from a dirt road leading to an ultra secret military test operation? They made the corner, again blowing the stop sign. As they turn, that's when it hits... the back of the Tahoe (with regular street plates) has a fleet number (2059) on the lower corner. Huh? 

we tail them all the way back to the 375/93 turn off. Took the license plates down (932 UJZ). The wife runs the plates. Nothing odd, except that there are zero transaction reports with dmv. Ever. 

At the turn off, they are in front, no turn indicators active. They turn left, we go right, I figure "welp, here's where we part ways." NOPE! They juke us like a Nissan! They instead head straight into the ET jerky parking lot. A large man gets out and quickly hustles to his maroon compact. I flip a bitch in the the road (safely). Pull into the parking lot. The three men left in the Tahoe drive by and give us some raised eyebrows. They peel out of the lot and floor it, banging limiter. The large man in the maroon compact has already begun exit as well, but stares us down as he exits 93 toward Caliente, NV. 

the wife and I, are shocked. We just tailed employees from the Fabled Paradise Ranch. They immediately knew something was up. This wasn't happenstance. How many of us can say we've SEEN employees from there? Good journey back to the hotel. Great adventure. Oh, and the Infiniti was So-So. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3Gl2WDFhDHovrsibglA819YEhKy1t0AjR8C2uPihBlD0jfJCyTT07tvymUH4vdZR