1 2 3 4 5 ... 18
bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/7/20 10:59 a.m.
nderwater said:

Interesting project--where did you source your mod components?

For this one, I basically just ordered all the parts to build what I wanted. It's based off an SKX007 case, but I ordered an "aftermarket" one. I limit myself to a build every year or two to keep the $$ down. There were a few other bezels/dials/inserts/crowns/bands I messed with. I wanted dark, and somewhere between classy and vehicle gauges for aesthetic. You can get the "NH" movements pretty cheaply, I think that one was like $40. I like the hacking and hand winding, but mostly the longer reserve of the 4r series. Last year's used a 7s and that's what I missed the most. I'll usually order a few things and see what looks best together (to me), then save the rest for future builds. I think I had these hands already for instance, and also ordered a different dial insert and a black bezel w/ brushed insert that was considered.

Are you familiar with modding watches? Seiko's are kind of like miatas, cheap, functional, and lots of options to build what you like :)

Off the top of my head, the dial is an AjuiceT (I think that's the way it's spelled), some of the parts are from dagaz, the movement was from DLW, some stuff was from crystaltimes,  some namoki, umm... that's all I can recall.

I just came across this, too, and these sale prices are very reasonable for what you're getting:

https://www.aragonwatch.com/SALE_s/498.htm

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/7/20 11:21 a.m.
Kylini said:
yupididit said:
Kylini said:

I used to have a Marathon GSAR, which was a lovely tank of an automatic watch, but I've since switched to a smaller Omega quartz. It might not be a tool watch, but I wear it pretty much everywhere. Unlike the Marathon, this is interview-appropriate too!

One day sir, one day 

I'm down to one car from three, so I added a watch. It helps that Omega is 20 years old. ;)

I have my eye on an Omega from the early 50's. I just have to pull the trigger. I actually don't find it expensive especially compared to a new Omega lol

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/7/20 11:22 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Are kids still being taught how to read an analog clock? I suspect they might be, but I'll check with my 7 year old expert. If so, then the certain age is moot.

My son learned in 1st grade. But his teacher told me they'll stop teaching them after that year. That was in 2017/2018.

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/7/20 11:39 a.m.

Citizen Navihawk. Bought in '99 worn, daily since. The movement has been replaced a few times. Looks huge on my scrawny wrist! Before this I had a Casio digital that was given to me in elementary school, wore that one for 15 years. 

chandler
chandler PowerDork
4/7/20 11:53 a.m.

mVMT (?) something or another. Saw it at Von Maur and liked it, ordered off the company website for a decent price.

Gary
Gary UltraDork
4/7/20 12:12 p.m.

Another Christopher Ward, my first. It's a "C70 Brooklands," quartz movement, limited edition. First production run of 500 was in 2007. Another run of 500 in 2012. This one is #337 of the 2017 run of 500. The back of the case reads "1st British Grand Prix 1926." The side of the case reads "Senechal/Wagner" as the winning drivers and "04:00:56" as their time.

Toyman01 (Forum Supporter)
Toyman01 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/7/20 1:22 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
Toyman01 (Forum Supporter) said:
Keith Tanner said:

Are kids still being taught how to read an analog clock? I suspect they might be, but I'll check with my 7 year old expert. If so, then the certain age is moot.

They probably are. My eldest wears a analog. My daughter wears a digital. My 20 yo son wears a analog. My 16 yo doesn't wear one, he uses his phone. I wear digitals most of the time because that's what I'm use to. I can read one instantly. An analog I have to actually read. Doubly true if there aren't any numbers on the dial. 

I suspect it depends on if you need to know exactly what time it is, or if you're trying to get a sense of the time. An analog puts the time in context but takes a little more cognition for accuracy.

Digital vs analog is a really interesting factor in gauge design for cars, too. Analog works well for rapidly changing information or trends where you just need a general sense and not a high number of significant digits. A tachometer or coolant temp, for example. You can glance at the gauge and get a feel for the information without having to really process it. Digital works well for highly accurate, rarely changing information such as speed (at cruise).

Agreed. All the gauges in the Abomination are clocked so the normal range is straight up except for the tech. It is clocked so straight up is about 1000 below redline.

Not that autocross gives you time to check gauges.

j_tso
j_tso Reader
4/7/20 2:35 p.m.

I just got the Haynes book for the Le Mans Jaguar racers and it said the TWR team would put red tape on the gauges where the normal reading was supposed to be, so if a driver glanced and saw "2 needles" there was something off.

Seiko solar powered chronograph:

This and the other Seiko I posted are my most anywhere, anytime watches since they're new.  I've got a couple of old ~1980s automatics from ebay for less than $40 that I treat a lot nicer because they're not as waterproof.

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
4/7/20 7:31 p.m.

No photos but for my daily I wear a really cheap 10-year old Timex.  For dress it's either a beautiful Omega Seamaster DeVille (automatic wind spring driven) I was given for graduation 56 years ago by my parents, or a Celtic design pocket watch when I wear a vest (a lot of us dress Western here in the Colorado mountains.

Crxpilot
Crxpilot Reader
4/7/20 8:18 p.m.

Seiko 5s are fun.  Here's mine.

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/7/20 9:21 p.m.

I'm pretty much an automatic stainless steel dive watch only kind of guy.  They tend to be fairly durable and don't need batteries.  I currently have 3 in the daily rotation and probably 5-10 more in hibernation.  Today's selection is shown below:

Seiko SRPC93 Prospex Special Edition automatic dive watch with oyster band.  It is really neat and very good quality. The face gets darker from top to bottom like light fades with depth in the ocean.  The grey streaks on the face are there to represent waves.  I ordered it as a Christmas gift to myself during the week between Christmas and New Years in 2017.  Michelle seemed to be doing better at that time and had gained weight from 77# in August to 115# by Christmas.  I told her we weren't doing gifts for Christmas that year because her still being among the living was all I needed.  Then I bought her a bunch of presents to put under the tree & she felt bad because there weren't any for me.  She encouraged me to buy myself a gift and I saw this on sale at Belk's website a couple of days after Christmas.  I paid just under $300 with tax for it, but had to have it delivered to the store for that price.  It is currently tied with another watch for first place in the pecking order.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/7/20 9:40 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

Khakis.

So you're joe from statefarm?

slowride
slowride Dork
4/8/20 9:09 a.m.

I got this Seiko in March. I wanted an automatic that can be hand wound because otherwise they die very often. I guess I don't move my arms enough?

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
4/8/20 9:59 a.m.

Another Chinese mechanical watch, this time an open-faced skeletonized automatic.

Daylan C (Forum Supporter)
Daylan C (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
4/8/20 11:41 a.m.

Put the beater G Shock on today

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/8/20 12:26 p.m.

Bought this I a shop in St Thomas years ago and if I'm not wearing an iWatch, it's the self-winding Fossil. Mostly though, I wear nothing and check my phone. 

Spencer
Spencer New Reader
4/8/20 12:33 p.m.

I've really liked my Crux watch for the past  year or so that I've had it. Nice looking, simple, affordable, and they donate half of their profits to charity.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
4/9/20 9:40 a.m.

Skeletonized manual-wind Chinese mechanical 

fivelinkcobra
fivelinkcobra New Reader
4/9/20 11:13 a.m.

Here is my Hamilton Kaki automaticac chronograph (7750 movement). I bought this new in May/June of 08 to celebrate my 1st year in business. I ware this probably 80% of the time and is shows. The case has all kinds of dings and scratches.  Had the large second hand and the sub dial hands replaced from chrome to white  so I could see them better and  I think it looks better too when  the movement cleaned. 

I also have an Oriant mako shark in blue and a Seiko orange monster ( that needs a new movement have taken it to

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 SuperDork
4/9/20 6:12 p.m.

This should be called "The Hairy Arm Close-Up Pic" thread. cheeky  I know nothing about watches, but this is cool!  I didn't know that people do watch "builds".  I have a simple Timex analog that my wife bought for me about 5-6 years ago that I really like.  I hadn't worn a watch since I was a kid, but wearing a watch seems like a manly, grown-up thing to do, so I wanted to start doing it.  I don't wear it to work (I'm a mechanic), but in the evenings or the weekend it's almost always on.  Cool stuff, fellas!

dxman92
dxman92 HalfDork
4/11/20 5:06 p.m.

I feel low-tech compared to some of the offerings mentioned here. My daily workhorse is a Casio F91-W on a one piece olive green military strap. I've had it for 8 years and its been everywhere from work, weddings, all around the Caribbean to just sitting at home twiddling my thumbs. I've had more straps on this thing that i'd like to admit.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/11/20 6:17 p.m.

For the first time since about 5th grade I'm not wearing watches.  One less thing to disinfect when I get home.  I've also stopped wearing ties since Mr Liu decided his dry cleaning shop is non-essential.  After next week I will be out of starched shirts as well. 

j_tso
j_tso Reader
4/13/20 12:20 p.m.

Old Seiko 5

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
4/13/20 2:25 p.m.

Vintage Luch 2209 from the Soviet Union on a vintage perlon strap. It is the thinnest watch I own.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
4/16/20 9:08 a.m.

It's an Apple Watch day today.  My favorite work-from-home feature is that it taps me when I get work email and notifies me of upcoming meetings.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 18

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Mc1JQaYOVF0PJSjHSwyisdrlQtvPoAQauC2cHBXdKWZrZcXUCs6ZT5Q3NN2kEbBt