1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 18
slefain
slefain PowerDork
4/16/20 9:20 a.m.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
4/16/20 9:37 a.m.

Thanks for reminding me!  I've never owned a Swatch though I've wanted one since I was 10.

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
4/16/20 12:42 p.m.

My favorite tool watch is my Hamilton Khaki Frogman.  Automatic with titanium case and rubber band.  

slowride
slowride Dork
4/16/20 1:16 p.m.

In reply to slefain :

Is that new or old? I had one in high school (late 80s) and I always liked it, but everyone I knew who had one eventually had the plastic case where the band ties in break.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
4/16/20 3:31 p.m.
slowride said:

In reply to slefain :

Is that new or old? I had one in high school (late 80s) and I always liked it, but everyone I knew who had one eventually had the plastic case where the band ties in break.

Old. My parents bought it for me on a return flight from Europe at the duty-free zone back in the 80s. I'm a nostalgic pack rat so it has been in my desk for decades. I've managed to keep it in pretty good shape even though I never had one of those weird protector things on it.

chandler
chandler PowerDork
4/16/20 4:48 p.m.
nderwater said:

Thanks for reminding me!  I've never owned a Swatch though I've wanted one since I was 10.

I have one buried somewhere and the second hand is the gauges on a fighter plane and the background is the deck of a ship, looks like it's constantly spiraling down down down. Pretty cool. 

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/16/20 7:01 p.m.

Today was the "cheapie" (all my watches are acquired at a discount...) Xezo automatic dive watch.  Black PVD finish #121 of 500 special edition.  The face has a subtle "swirl" finish.  It has a Citizen movement.  Got it new shipped for $90.  It was a couple of years after they were made and it was NOS sitting in somebody's inventory that decided they wanted to move it.  I think retail was around $250 when new on the block...

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/17/20 7:07 a.m.

Running machines I got in the habit of pocket watches.  But if I did a wrist watch ....

slowride
slowride Dork
4/17/20 9:50 a.m.

In reply to slefain :

I had one of those protectors! It's didn't really help. Maybe it protected the face from scratches.

Anyway, cool watch!

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
4/17/20 12:09 p.m.

The watch that got me into watches was my first Chinese mechanical:

bgkast (Forum Supporter)
bgkast (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/22/20 4:33 p.m.

I want to play! I've been back into watches for a few years and have a good start on a collection. In the days before cell phones I used to carry a pocket watch almost every day. Now that my pocket is filled with a phone I've got into wrist watches.

I'll start with a marine style watch I assembled myself to commemorate being promoted to a Department Director.

I basede the project around the ETA 6498 movement since it is forgiving for ham-fisted beginners. Inspired in part by my 1919 Hamilton pocket watch that was passed to me from my Grandpa I decided to build a marine-style watch. I decided to splurge and use a decorated swiss-made movement and sapphire crystal case from Otto Frei.

The last thing I want to add is a brass letter K for my family name in a small cutout at the bottom of the movement. There is a convenient empty threaded hole in this opening with the same threads as the case clamp screws, and I would like to use a brass screw to hold the K in place, but have not been able to find a screw that fits. 

I have about $500 into the project including tools and parts. I purchased the dial from eBay, hands from helenarou and the case, movement and strap from Otto Frei. The dial was 2 mm too large for the case so I turned it down to fit.

bluej (Forum Supporter)
bluej (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/23/20 6:02 a.m.

Nice and clean! 

bgkast (Forum Supporter)
bgkast (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/24/20 11:42 a.m.

Yesterday I had to dress up, so I decided to sport my Nilgauss, a modified Seiko that is a homage to the famous Rolex Milgauss. It uses a Seiko 5 as the base and is fitted with a Green Sapphire crystal with a gorgeous AR coating, a blue sunburst dial, and an orange lightning bolt seconds hand. Unlike the original it can withstand zero magmatism, hence the name Nilgauss.

Daylan C (Forum Supporter)
Daylan C (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
4/24/20 12:48 p.m.

Decided to be obnoxious by myself today

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
4/24/20 1:39 p.m.

Switching it up today--I almost never wear this watch.  I picked it up for about $100 from a new-old-stock clearinghouse about fifteen years ago, around the time that Swatch stunned the industry by announcing that ETA would stop selling ebauche movements.  It features an ETA 2824-2 movement that I figured I could use in a watch project someday, but life got in the way and that never happened.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/24/20 1:54 p.m.

Breitling Bentley. My sister gave it to me. Picked it up for a bargain hidden in another pile of Breitlings at a market in Singapore. 

bluej (Forum Supporter)
bluej (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/24/20 2:17 p.m.
bgkast (Forum Supporter) said:

Yesterday I had to dress up, so I decided to sport my Nilgauss, a modified Seiko that is a homage to the famous Rolex Milgauss. It uses a Seiko 5 as the base and is fitted with a Green Sapphire crystal with a gorgeous AR coating, a blue sunburst dial, and an orange lightning bolt seconds hand. Unlike the original it can withstand zero magmatism, hence the name Nilgauss.

That dial looks familiar! Very nice!

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/24/20 8:22 p.m.

In the pre-cellphone days I wore a cheap Casio digital and replaced it regularly when the crystal would get so beat up it wasn't legible anymore.  When I started carrying a cell phone I wear a watch for a long time. About 10 years ago I was working a trade show in Chicago and stopped at a Pawn shop to kill some time one evening and saw this Tag Heuer.  I had been kicking around the idea of wearing a watch for a while and something about this one caught my eye so I bought it.  I still really like it.  I think it looks nice.  It's durable and a little upscale.  I may touch up the paint on the bezel sometime but I don't mind the character that the wear gives it.

I occasionally think about buying something with more complications but then I remember that my eyes are old enough now that I can't actually read the date on the watch I have so adding more stuff that I can't read seems kind of silly.

levireyes
levireyes New Reader
4/27/20 9:19 a.m.

Sharing my Speedmaster Reduced ref. 3510.50.00.

"Reduced", is the smaller 39mm case and cheaper version of the "Moon watch" 42mm case.   Omega stopped making this watch since 2009.  However, it is available used everywhere and it seems to held it's value.  

Having small wrist limits my choices to vintage watches.

This is my go to watch nowadays with aftermarket sport leather bracelet.   It is so versatile, can be worn anywhere.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
4/27/20 10:31 a.m.

Nice watch for sure, and sure to hold its value.  Good buy!

j_tso
j_tso Reader
5/5/20 9:43 a.m.

Citizen bullhead

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
5/5/20 9:52 a.m.

Oh wow, never seen one of those before.  I dig the stopwatch button orientation.

Dieselboss15
Dieselboss15 New Reader
5/5/20 5:28 p.m.

some sort of casio. it is a g-shock knockoff.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
5/7/20 8:53 a.m.

Today I'm wearing my heaviest watch by far, a Bulova Accutron Gemini auto. The finishes on the face, case and bracelet are the nicest in my collection.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
5/7/20 11:07 a.m.

Wife bought me this one right after we were married. Wore it all the time, including when at the track working on karts or working on cars.  As you can see, I beat it up pretty good.  Looked into getting it repaired, but the prices were expensive, so I just kept wearing it.

Then she surprised me with this one last year.  I make sure to take it off now if I'm doing anything that might end up damaging it. 

I have little use for most of the features on either watch.  I just always liked the look of them.

-Rob

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 18

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IeqOzByOI3VU3RmxSIPcUFM6uVSPWgfkmCCRZARxHTz1clO4MaOtQP6x3Fe3XhUr