1 2
Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
12/12/09 9:52 a.m.

So here it is, less than 2 weeks before Christmas, and as usual I have a fairly desultory scattering of decorations thrown about the house (whatever was easiest to get to, basically), no tree up, lots of attic stuff I'm not eager to tackle, and the only exterior nod to the season a big, tacky garland that I scored cheap because it was the display model at Home Depot (and that Tim called "the anaconda" as he fussed and spit about putting it up along the porch).

Meanwhile, my neighbor--who works for a golf course construction firm and is thus home for the snowy season--just plopped out yet another elaborate light display to fill the only corner of his yard that had any space remaining. I think I hate him.

One year long after we kids had all left home, my dad said to hell with it and put up what he called a "Christmas pole": a shower rod with lights wrapped around it and a couple ornaments on it. My mom was horrified, but I can't help thinking about that thing with some envy as I stare at the stack of boxes at the top of those rickety little stairs.

This evening I'm going to bake something fattening, make up a big batch of something alcoholic, and turn this overwhelming to-do list into an opportunity for decorating and enjoying some good cheer with my family, but I'm not much of a bartender. So... the point of this long, rambling humbug is to ask you guys for your favorite holiday spirited concoctions--recipes, brands, techniques, whatever it takes to put a shine on the season. Bonus points if it can be offered in a nonalcoholic version as well so Tommy and Katie can have some, too.

Thank you, and happy festivus.

Margie

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
12/12/09 9:57 a.m.

In your warmer climate it is hard to top a Pina Colada which can be made non alcoholic.

I also like a Long Island Iced tea but the non alcoholic version is commonly called Coke.

Then there is my favorite, a very Dry Martini, the non alcoholic version is called air

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
12/12/09 10:03 a.m.

Beer.

jrw1621
jrw1621 Dork
12/12/09 10:07 a.m.

Here in the Great Lakes, as the sailboat racing season comes to an end, the weather turns cold. In the last race of the year I was recently introduced to another boats last race tradition...

Hot Buttered Rum:
1# butter
2# brown sugar
Melt together and add:
1/2 t allspice
1/2 t cinnamon
1/2 t nutmeg
1/4 t clove
Add 3 eggs and beat for 15 minutes
The mixture can be stored in freezer in a tight tupperware container for the whole winter.
To use, put a heaping tablespoonful of mixture in a cup.
Add one shot of rum and fill with hot water.

The above is a reprint of the ingredients they gave to me. For rum, they were using Goslings Black Seal.

The GRM connection to this whole thing is that the people that gave me this recipe live the winter months in Daytona and he is a former Formula V national champion from the 70's or 80's when he lived in Metro Miami.

Happy Holidays!

suprf1y
suprf1y Reader
12/12/09 10:31 a.m.
Jensenman wrote: Beer.

Agreed

My wife's family is German, and beer was part of the program for the kids, too.

One turned out to be a beer drinker, the other one never touches it. The results were exactly the same for my kids.

Beer for everybody.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
12/12/09 10:48 a.m.

I call this the Hot Doc:

Dr. Pepper ~ lemon juice and lemon slice ~ dark rum

Serve hot in coffee cup, top with mini marshmellows

For N/A use rum "extract" instead of real rum.

oldsaw
oldsaw HalfDork
12/12/09 10:57 a.m.
Jensenman wrote: Beer.

Speaking of beer, what time is it?

Ooooh! DTM and BTCC on SpeedTV.

It's Saturday, it's cold and rainy, so it must be beer o'clock.

cwh
cwh SuperDork
12/12/09 11:13 a.m.

Margie- I read your post to my wife and she said "Oo, Oo I've got a great one!! Aunt Helen’s Christmas Punch

She always made 2 bowls, 1 with champagne and 1 without

Frozen concoction 1 can pineapple juice 1 small bottle of red maraschino cherries and the juice 1 small bottle of green maraschino cherries and the juice 1 can crushed pineapple (in its own juice) (save the juice)

Cover & freeze in a bowl or jello mold or even ice cube trays to add to punch when served.

Punch 2 bottles of ginger ale 1 bottle of champagne (leave the champagne out in the batch for the kids) The juice from the crushed pineapple 1 small tub of lime sherbet – put in just before serving The frozen concoction

I'm a simple guy when it comes to booze-Bacardi Select rum and Vernors.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/12/09 11:22 a.m.

Vodka on the rocks. Simple, easy, and after the first few you don't care what they taste like. Add a bow during the Christmas season. It gives you something to stick on your head after the first six.

jrw1621
jrw1621 Dork
12/12/09 11:26 a.m.
cwh wrote: I'm a simple guy when it comes to booze-Bacardi Select rum and Vernors.

Ahh, the poor man's Dark & Stormy. If you get the chance be sure to try "the real version."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_'N'_Stormy

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
12/12/09 11:32 a.m.

Margie, I have a fudge recipe. Allegedly stolen from "a major confectioner “ which I won’t name. It was one of those recipes that went around from neighbor to neighbor mimeographed, way before the days of the 1ntr4n3t, yo. It's been in my family for 40 years. It should come with a warning label as it is that dangerous. As in, Oh, God, I can't stop eating this... IF you want to make it, I'll give you the recipe.

cwh
cwh SuperDork
12/12/09 11:36 a.m.

Re: Dark and Stormy- I actually prefer to use ginger beer, but it's not easy to find here. There are some weak sister types, but not the real thing. I like the bite of the real one.

pete240z
pete240z Dork
12/12/09 11:38 a.m.
Marjorie Suddard wrote: put up what he called a "Christmas pole": a shower rod with lights wrapped around it and a couple ornaments on it.

As I get older (I am 47) I plan to be your dad. The decorating thing makes me nuts. I saw a sweet Charlie Brown tree at Walgreen's and look forward to that being my only decoration some day. Sorry to steal your thread.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
12/12/09 11:45 a.m.

serve heated with a bit of orange peel.

Its a spiced red wine from a maryland vineyard that has become a staple in my family.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/12/09 11:45 a.m.

I vote for the Holiday Pole and beer.

Marjorie Suddard
12/12/09 11:50 a.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: Margie, I have a fudge recipe. Allegedly stolen from "a major confectioner “ which I won’t name. It was one of those recipes that went around from neighbor to neighbor mimeographed, way before the days of the 1ntr4n3t, yo. It's been in my family for 40 years. It should come with a warning label as it is that dangerous. As in, Oh, God, I can't stop eating this... IF you want to make it, I'll give you the recipe.

GIVE IT TO ME. I mean, yes. Yes, please. Definitely.

Excellent stuff, guys. I knew you wouldn't disappoint me!

Margie

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer Dork
12/12/09 12:04 p.m.

My buddies and I celebrate Festivus...

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
12/12/09 12:17 p.m.

OK, Margie. Don't say I didn't warn you:

Xzy’s Fudge (name changed to protect, well, never mind)

3 pkgs chocolate chips

1 pint marshmello cream

2 cups chopped walnuts (optional: 2 cups walnuts, 2 cups pecans)

½ lb butter

4-1/2 cups sugar

1 large can evaporated milk

Combine all ingredients in a bowl except sugar and milk. In a big pan with a thick bottom, put sugar and milk and very slowly bring to a boil. Boil exactly 9 minutes, stirring constantly. Then add remaining ingredients and stir until melted. Put in a pan and let cool.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/12/09 1:09 p.m.

Yep, that's my mom's fudge recipe too. It's darn good stuff.

Marjorie Suddard
12/12/09 3:10 p.m.

It looks like what I remember of my mom's recipe, too--but I had lost it and have been dorking about for years trying to come up with the right timing/measurements. Thanks, Hess!

Margie

cwh
cwh SuperDork
12/12/09 6:21 p.m.

Looks like a few Christman traditions might be started this year. We got our goose last week, along with several good recipes. And, I promise to try ALL the drink recipes!! Wifey does not care for fudge, so that won't happen unless I do it. Hmmm, maybe.

cwh
cwh SuperDork
12/12/09 6:23 p.m.

Also- My Dad used to make egg nog you could almost see through. A nice cup of that, he got real quiet, everybody else got loud.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
12/12/09 7:32 p.m.
cwh wrote: My Dad used to make egg nog you could almost see through. A nice cup of that, he got real quiet, everybody else got loud.

Smart man, your dad.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
12/14/09 1:52 a.m.

Hot chocoa, a scoop of ice cream, and Buttershots...

cwh
cwh SuperDork
12/14/09 8:41 a.m.

Christmas Tequila Cookies

1 cup dark brown sugar 1 cup (two sticks) butter 1 cup granulated sugar 4 large eggs 2 cups dried fruit (dried cranberries or raisins) 1 teaspoon baking soda 1 teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans 2 cups all purpose flour 1 liter bottle Jose Cuervo Tequila (silver or gold, as desired)

First, sample the Cuervo to check quality. Take a large bowl. Check the Cuervo to be sure It is of the highest quality. Pour another 4 ounces in a measuring cup and drink. Turn on the electric mixer. Beat one cup of the butter in a large fluffy bowl. Add one teaspoon sugar. Beat again. At this point, it is best to make sure the Cuervo is still OK. Try another 4 ounces, just in case. Turn off the mixerer thingy. Break two leggs and add to the bowl and chuck in the cup of dried fruit, picking the frigging fruit off the floor. Mix on the turner. If the fried druit gets stuck in the beaterers, just pry it loose with a screwdriver. Sample the Cuervo to check for tonsisticity. Next, sift 2 cups of salt or shomething. Check the Jose Cuervo. Now shift the lemon juice and strain your nuts. Add one table. Add a spoon of sugar, or somefink. Whatever you can find. Greash the oven. Turn the cake tin 360 degrees and try not to fall over. Don't forget to beat off the turner. Finally, throw the bowl through the window, finish the Cose Juervo and make sure to put the stove in the dishwasher.

Cherry Mistmas

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2X5d1N44icYze4Q1IpOHxKgTggbzdoGJaUJ8TKPlfmvUjWOBqWbIANgkLn9vqwkY