CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/13/08 5:14 p.m.

My dad and I will be doing a road trip over Xmas break. We'll be driving from Delaware to the Florida Keys and back in his new M3. The only two stops that are firm so far are the Tail of the Dragon and Robeling Road for a driver's school. We're looking for suggestions on things to see and roads to drive on the way down and back. We've got just over a week so we're looking for short stops to do during the days and interesting places to eat and rest for the nights. I figure anyone here will know all of the secret roads and backwoods car type places to see! Thanks!

integraguy
integraguy Reader
10/14/08 1:15 a.m.

You have a week and are "detouring" to Tall of the Dragon? Having driven from Northeastern Pa. to Jacksonville several times I can tell you drivng I-95 ONLY, this trip down and back will take about 5 days of driving. Your 1 detour will add a day, the second will add another day. Your stops will therefore be VERY short. BTW, Jacksonville to the Florida Keys is about 500+ miles, tho I realize you are probably saving time by driving south along the Gulf Coast of Fl. Figure on the trip back to hit the GRM offices...

bludroptop
bludroptop Dork
10/14/08 5:42 a.m.
integraguy wrote: ...I can tell you drivng I-95 ONLY, this trip down and back will take about 5 days of driving.

???

Dover to Key West is 1300 miles +/-. That's 22 hours of driving at the speed limit.

When I was younger, I drove from Hartford to Fort Meyers in 27 hours... solo...multiple times. That included a 3 hour cat nap in a rest area.

JThw8
JThw8 Dork
10/14/08 7:17 a.m.
bludroptop wrote: Dover to Key West is 1300 miles +/-. That's 22 hours of driving at the speed limit. When I was younger, I drove from Hartford to Fort Meyers in 27 hours... solo...multiple times. That included a 3 hour cat nap in a rest area.

Agreed, BABE Rally is about 1300 miles as well (NY to New Orleans if you didnt know by now) and we make the return trip in 20-24 hours (depending on the car we are driving that year, the VW bug took forever)

I've done NJ to FLA in 2 days driving solo (wife riding along to keep me company) in a VW bus.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy HalfDork
10/14/08 8:33 a.m.

If you were making the trip right now I'd recommend taking the Blue Ridge Parkway from northern VA all the way to the end, which is about 30 miles from Tail of the Dragon. It's not a fast road, but this time of year it's amazing. Over x-mas break a couple of the passes might be closed, though, so it wouldn't be a good plan then.

Oh, and integraguy did specify down and back, and I'd say that's not far off unless you have 3 or more drivers. Sure you could blast down in a day and a half, then blast back up in another day and a half, but you wouldn't be good for anything when you got back. Even four 12 hour days, two down and two back, is a lot of driving.

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/14/08 9:11 a.m.

I miss-typed...We've got 2 weeks.

Thanks guys, keep the ideas coming.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/14/08 10:16 a.m.
integraguy wrote: You have a week and are "detouring" to Tall of the Dragon? Having driven from Northeastern Pa. to Jacksonville several times I can tell you drivng I-95 ONLY, this trip down and back will take about 5 days of driving. Your 1 detour will add a day, the second will add another day. Your stops will therefore be VERY short. BTW, Jacksonville to the Florida Keys is about 500+ miles, tho I realize you are probably saving time by driving south along the Gulf Coast of Fl. Figure on the trip back to hit the GRM offices...

I do Connecticut to St. Pete at least once a year and it only takes about 20-21 hours.

Even if you drive an Integra.

SoloSonett
SoloSonett Reader
10/14/08 10:35 a.m.

Wife and I went to the Smokies this last Spring ( her B day present ) and just had to drive the Tail of the Dragon. Even in the family car, 02 Hyundia Elantra GT it was a blast.

Twistin through ( headed west ) I was lodged well in the car and pushing it as hard as I dared.

When I spotted a turkey along the way and pointed it out. She swatted me with the road map and admonished me to "Keep my eyes on the road!"

Looking forward to driving it again

cwh
cwh Dork
10/14/08 11:14 a.m.

One Florida suggestion. If you're coming down I75 on the west coast, take Tamiami Trail across the state. Rt. 41. Not as fast, but quite entertaining. REAL indian chickees. (That's houses, not babes), lot's of wildlife, including gators, You can even stop in Ochopee at the world's smallest post office. Airboat rides, if you want stories to tell back home. You will want to cut off at Krome Ave , SR997, as you get back into civilazation, to head south to the Keys. Beats the bejeezus out of the most boring road in the US, Alligator Alley. No tolls, either.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wLEplkzURYTYbkKFO1aqJ7ErgQafg8RRZefQLPU5hyoIVIPMPzwZaA905OtoVLFu