Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/10/19 8:23 a.m.

I did the googles on a home theater projector and came up with about 30 projectors to research.  I use them maybe once a month.  I'll have friends come over and I'll hang a 140" screen on the patio and we watch movies or TV events. Up until now I just borrowed one of the 6k projectors from work, but since the lamps are 4000-hour arc lights and cost $150 each, I'm starting to feel as if I'm abusing a resource.  I ended up buying a $110 Vankyo Chinesium projector based on amazing reviews on Amazon and the Googles.  All of the tech sites rated it the best for the budget crowd.  It was awful.  Not only was it about half the advertised brightness, the keystone correction physically tilted the LCD, meaning that if you used any keystone correction it skewed the focus.  If you focused the center of the screen, the top and bottom were so fuzzy you couldn't read any text.  It was advertised at 3200 Lumens, but I might believe 3200 Lux.  (big difference)

So I upped my budget to $200.

Needs:

• bright; around 3000 Lumens or more, so we don't have to wait until 9:30 pm to watch something outside.  Back yard is at least heavily shaded.
  • don't care much about audio since I'll be outputting to a separate sound system
  • I have plenty of audio, so it doesn't need to be whisper quiet, but not a jet engine either in case I want to bring it inside
  • Doesn't need to be 4K or HDR, but I'd like it to be 1080p.
  • not picky about inputs since most of them come with what I would need; HDMI, USB and/or SD card would be nice for a downloaded video files
  • Multi-plane keystone/cornerstone would be nice but I realize I probably won't get that at this price point.
  • Used OK as long as it is a serviceable unit... that is to say, I don't mind getting a used Epson or ViewSonic since it isn't a proprietary/disposable unit, but I'll have to check lamp replacement costs.
z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/10/19 8:51 a.m.

Buy a replacement bulb for the work projector and enjoy?

4000 hours is A LOT of outdoor viewing time.

TopNoodles
TopNoodles New Reader
6/10/19 10:14 a.m.
z31maniac said:

Buy a replacement bulb for the work projector and enjoy?

4000 hours is A LOT of outdoor viewing time.

This sounds like the only budget option.

I think our projector was around $400 and it's just good enough for indoor viewing on a 120" screen with the lights off and windows blocked. We were using one with a value north of $1000 that was better but I managed to brick it somehow while setting it up the second time (I swear I didn't drop it). We don't have a TV so we use the projector multiple times a week. People have different standards but I doubt I would be satisfied with any $200 projector, especially outdoors. Best option is to increase the budget and enjoy the quality viewing experience, or just keep borrowing a unit and compensate the owner for bulb replacement and general wear and tear.

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/10/19 12:18 p.m.

I don't disagree that a $150 lamp is a fair trade, but one of the problems is that it's big.  It's a $7000 heavy professional projector designed for permanent installation in a venue.  Mounting and unmounting it is a rather harrowing experience.  I think the thing that concerns me most is that it is not a "touring" projector.  They tend to be not overly durable with bumps and motion.  Not to mention... my use of it is dictated by when it is not needed at the theater.

It's kinda like renting your friend's Ferrari to go to McDonalds.  Just buy your own Camry and drive yourself.  It's more expensive, but less headache and you don't risk getting T-boned in someone's pride and joy.

I hear you though about the cost aspect.  $200 doesn't buy much, but I have to think there is some diamond in the rough out there.

Thinking along the lines of this Epson projector  at $359, but the Chinese copy for $239.  Something with similar features and brightness, but less money.

MikeHutson
MikeHutson New Spammer
12/28/19 3:30 a.m.

ARE YOU THINKING TO BUY A PROJECTOR

then take a look of 10 ten projectors in [this canoe!]

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CuvfjkrZvAPteyJ6BApkEZzrKzZafHuoHrfOW4vQNkqdiP9wOmHCx4eTrDzzAZ5R