1 2
Drewsifer
Drewsifer New Reader
11/17/09 10:14 p.m.
jrw1621 wrote: The epi-center of all things MR2 is the MR2 Owners Club at www.mr2oc.com The site requires that you register but it is worth it. My MR2 was a '88 SC but I would happily take a SW20 if the right one came my way. So, your first wife still won't allow you to have another Porsche?

Still trying to keep her the one and only. She does things that you wouldn't believe.

Like make pancakes!

I've always had a passing interesting MR2's. It seems like a cool little car. However my interest always gets pulled away to other things (like 944's). Would a turbo version going to be a huge step up in terms of maintenance?

HT, home is sadly Virginia for awhile. We're buying a house out there. Don't I look happy?

Drewsifer
Drewsifer New Reader
11/18/09 3:07 a.m.
jrw1621 wrote: The epi-center of all things MR2 is the MR2 Owners Club at www.mr2oc.com The site requires that you register but it is worth it.

I don't think they like me. I registered, but it says there are no threads whatsoever.

jrw1621
jrw1621 Dork
11/18/09 5:14 a.m.

You have done something wrong. I too just went over to ww.mr2oc.com and found the following stats:
Threads: 359,083, Posts: 4,050,448, Members: 44,676

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
11/18/09 7:36 a.m.
Drewsifer wrote:
jrw1621 wrote: The epi-center of all things MR2 is the MR2 Owners Club at www.mr2oc.com The site requires that you register but it is worth it. My MR2 was a '88 SC but I would happily take a SW20 if the right one came my way. So, your first wife still won't allow you to have another Porsche?
Still trying to keep her the one and only. She does things that you wouldn't believe. Like make pancakes! I've always had a passing interesting MR2's. It seems like a cool little car. However my interest always gets pulled away to other things (like 944's). Would a turbo version going to be a huge step up in terms of maintenance? HT, home is sadly Virginia for awhile. We're buying a house out there. Don't I look happy?

Arg. That's no good.

As for the turbo version.... if you get a nice one, it's not that big of a step. Just normal n/a to turbo maintenence jump.

Matt B
Matt B New Reader
11/18/09 8:20 a.m.

I'll second the mr2oc.com suggestion. It's the "other" forum for me right now. The member base isn't always as mature as GRM (god help us), but it's more diverse, informative, and occasionally friendly than most automotive forums I've been on. The autocross forum particularly has a lot of good mk2 guys that actually know their stuff.

I also don't think the turbo version is any kind of crazy jump in maintenance. Unfortunately, it seems like there's a lot of kids who want to tinker with their turbos and end up creating a nightmare for the next owner. So, imho it's more of a buyer beware situation. Those cars just attract the "JDM Tizzight" crowd.

Travis_K
Travis_K Dork
11/18/09 10:02 a.m.

The turbo ones dont seem to be competitive autocross cars, while the non turbo ones at least used to be able to win ES at the nationals.

Drewsifer
Drewsifer New Reader
11/19/09 12:04 a.m.

Ah my account hadn't been validated. Now I can post.

I'd sort of like a turbo, so its a solid step up from my 944 (which was an chipped 8v). Plus the appeal of being able to scream "BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST" as I pull away from every stop light makes me giggle.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
11/19/09 8:48 a.m.
Drewsifer wrote: Ah my account hadn't been validated. Now I can post. I'd sort of like a turbo, so its a solid step up from my 944 (which was an chipped 8v). Plus the appeal of being able to scream "BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST" as I pull away from every stop light makes me giggle.

It's probably a decent amount faster than your 944, too.

Drewsifer
Drewsifer New Reader
11/19/09 10:46 a.m.
93celicaGT2 wrote:
Drewsifer wrote: Ah my account hadn't been validated. Now I can post. I'd sort of like a turbo, so its a solid step up from my 944 (which was an chipped 8v). Plus the appeal of being able to scream "BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST" as I pull away from every stop light makes me giggle.
It's probably a decent amount faster than your 944, too.

Well of course it'll be faster. If it moves at all it'll be way faster!

fromeast2west
fromeast2west New Reader
11/19/09 11:32 a.m.

My MR2 is the first turbo I've ever owned, and there is something about the sound of a turbo spooling up that will do crazy things to your brain.

Just a note on the turbo v. NA in autocross scene.. it's all about torque curve. There have been some good N/A builds, but they don't have the head room for mods that the 3S-GTE does. I've heard conversions aren't that easy either, so you'd be just as well off going from N/A to a 6 cyl. than you would trying to convert to an otherwise stock turbo set up.

All things being equal... BOOOOOOSTTTTTT!!!!

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
11/19/09 11:41 a.m.

^Conversions are cake in an MR2. Weekend job. Remove old stuff. Bolt in new. Replace wiring harness. Drive.

But yes... the spool. One of the reasons i have my wastegate dumped the way it is.

cbulen
cbulen None
11/28/09 12:24 a.m.

I think the SW20 is one of the greatest budget sportscars out there. I think it flew under the radar, and is very underated. Mild suspension and brake mods yeild fantastic handling and braking (which were already really good).

It just needs more power.

A few bolt-on mods to the turbo engine (3S-GTE) and it goes like stink. V6's can be swapped in relatively easily. Turbo V6's can be done with more difficulty.

I am working on a V8 MR2 project.

CBulen http://www.MV8R.com

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WlzqaFcF0VIvXstxmk9slgjhHp74YZlPhN3WpFKcgdx2xmTwuitgIZt5RrMgaM8k