frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
10/1/18 5:10 p.m.

My Grandparents were born in poverty in the 1880’s went through the Great Depression WW2  and lived into the 1980’s. 

Somehow they grew a big garden that fed themselves and charity and provided income.  

Grandpa worked two jobs sometimes three and still came home to plow the garden without tractor or horse.  Just a strong back and determination.  Grandma  did the actual plowing and Grandpa was the horse. 

I work one job my wife another yet we are both exhausted from harvesting and canning the crop of apples. To the point we neglected most other crops we grow or planted.  No raspberry’s, strawberry’s, grapes, plums, or Cherry’s were harvested. TheRubbarb went untended as did tomato’s and blueberry’s etc 

At most we spend 2-3 hours a night picking apples. Then washing sorting peeling coring.  She makes applesauce and jelly, pies and canning.  

We’ve got about 6-8 more bushels left to harvest and this is the off year!  Few Harrelsons  No Honeygolds and a tiny crop of Granny Smiths 

How did they do it? They harvested all summer and fall plus canned enough for the winter! Not to mention all the charity they gave to Hobbo’s and bums asking for a hand out. 

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
10/1/18 5:41 p.m.

They did not have the internet to distract them? laugh

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
10/1/18 5:42 p.m.

How?  They were totally aware that they might be very hungry, and they might very well die if they didn't do it.

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
10/1/18 5:53 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

Correct!

Mrs. f1y hasn't worked since we were married.  Our friends and coworkers were two income families and used to say,  I don't know how you do it.

It wasn't easy but, as another friend once said to me when I was worried about losing my job, don't worry you'll survive. You have no choice.

He was right.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/1/18 5:56 p.m.

No tv and no internet make people productive, thoughtful, and hard working.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/1/18 6:28 p.m.

Lard. They ate lard. It made them productive, thoughtful, and hard working. Everything took a downturn with the removal of lard from daily life.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
10/1/18 6:43 p.m.
RevRico said:

No tv and no internet make people productive, thoughtful, and hard working.

My grandparents never missed the news with Walter  Cronkite, or the Late show with Johnny Carson. True they didn’t have the internet but they did write letters and get mail.  

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
10/1/18 6:44 p.m.
Appleseed said:

Lard. They ate lard. It made them productive, thoughtful, and hard working. Everything took a downturn with the removal of lard from daily life.

You may have something there.  No pie crust was ever made without lard. 

ThatsNoUsername
ThatsNoUsername GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/1/18 7:02 p.m.

I think modern life is exhausting mostly. I moved from the mountains to the city for a bit and ive never been more tired. I have no idea why this is, it just is.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
10/1/18 7:19 p.m.

In reply to ThatsNoUsername :

I agree, I know I work hard, I got home 1/2 hour ago, ate dinner and now I’m going outside in the rain to work. 

With luck I’ll be done by 9:00. Watch the tube for an hour to unwind and be asleep a few minutes after 10:00  

It’s exhausting. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8DDSjhOJjIDHdvYHne5EHkVnwDKj5rNbJ7RTW1Ra2hkBasBfmaHbihIouhoooLVo