1 2 3 4 5 6
oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
9/9/11 5:33 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: No really.... i'm just impulsive. I want a beard. I wanted a roadster randomly, so we bought a turbo miata. Only logical. I want a turbo beard.

So, how does SWMBO feel about this urge? Especially important when lips, cheeks, chins and inner-thighs are involved...........

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
9/9/11 5:36 p.m.

She doesn't like me clean-shaven.... got used to me scruffy, prefers it that way.

Plus when clean-shaven.... i look 14. At best.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/9/11 6:30 p.m.

I drive a miata and have a horrible beard. I don't shave because I keep hoping it gets better.

Joshua
Joshua HalfDork
9/9/11 10:52 p.m.
modernbeat wrote: I drive a Miata. I have a beard.

I drive a Miata. I have a beard (usually). What I don't have is those sick Ray Bans!

rotard
rotard Reader
9/9/11 11:09 p.m.

I'm unable to grow a beard. I went three weeks without shaving when I got home from Iraq, and only had about half an inch of hair, if that. It was very patchy. I'm 28 years old, btw.

4eyes
4eyes HalfDork
9/9/11 11:18 p.m.
oldsaw wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: No really.... i'm just impulsive. I want a beard. I wanted a roadster randomly, so we bought a turbo miata. Only logical. I want a turbo beard.
So, how does SWMBO feel about this urge? Especially important when lips, cheeks, chins and inner-thighs are involved...........

In my limited experience, one gets much more "female attention" when clean shaven. Which is, pretty much, the only reason I shave.

The itchy phase only lasts a couple of weeks. FYI

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
9/10/11 12:07 a.m.
4eyes wrote:
oldsaw wrote:
In my limited experience, one gets much more "female attention" when clean shaven. Which is, pretty much, the only reason I shave. The itchy phase only lasts a couple of weeks. FYI

FYI - I've sported a beard for several decades; it's always been short and tightly groomed.

Lately, I prefer just a bit of scruff. I shave the neck and cheeks a few times a week and use the Wahl trimmer once a week - with no attachments. Shaving/trimming is a PITA but I'll do it until my hair has the same color as the beard, or until a SO dictates a particular preference.

Sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

novaderrik
novaderrik Dork
9/10/11 3:37 a.m.

took me about 2 weeks to grow it out enough to shave it like this for my drivers license pic last fall.. i normally just have a mustache and somewhat longish goatee (someday it will look like Scott Ian's) to cover up my weird looking chin, but decided to do something special for the license this time and did a special chop/snip job..

the hair on my chin didn't actually meet up with the hair above my lip until sometime in my late 20's- which is unfortunate because i so wanted the early 90's James Hetfield thing right up until shortly before i actually had the capability and my face started turning more roundish...

moxnix
moxnix Reader
9/10/11 10:03 a.m.

Another bearded miata driver here.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
9/10/11 10:25 a.m.

Don't ask me mate, 48 and the best I can do is a lame goatee that looks like E36 M3, didn't stop it getting greys though.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
9/10/11 10:35 a.m.
Joshua wrote:
modernbeat wrote: I drive a Miata. I have a beard.
I drive a Miata. I have a beard (usually). What I don't have is those sick Ray Bans!

+1!!!

I just rock a set of red/orange/yellow mirrored aviators.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
9/10/11 12:20 p.m.
moxnix wrote: Another bearded miata driver here.

Hide the uranium!

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
9/10/11 6:05 p.m.

I just turned 24. Clean shaven I look 30. With a three day growth beard, I look 44...

If you need some extra manly, I could teach you!

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Dork
9/10/11 8:12 p.m.

You guys sure can grow some nice prison bush.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/10/11 8:52 p.m.

I figured many Miata owners had a beard.

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
9/11/11 9:32 a.m.

I'm over 40 and still can't really grow a beard. And what does grow in is so gray now it instantly adds 10 years to hot old I look... So I stopped even trying about 10 years ago.

Some of us just can't grow beards.

The_Jed
The_Jed Reader
9/11/11 10:02 a.m.
Twin_Cam wrote: ...call me Ezekiel or Jedediah...

Ha!

To the O.P.;

I began shaving when I was 12 or 13 and my noggin hair began it's exodus around age 18. The next time you're bummed about the patchy beard just run your fingers through that beautiful mop of hair on your head and know that some guys with thick, manly beards and shiny heads envy YOU.

If I stop shaving I look like a bald Jeremiah Johnson.

just_james
just_james New Reader
9/11/11 10:29 a.m.

You could always try sneaking over SWMBO's side of the sink and borrowing some of that thickening, long lash stuff that she puts on her eyelashes.

Seriously though, you might just have to stop and try again in a couple years. Just my two cents from another bearded Miata guy.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy Dork
9/11/11 11:26 p.m.

If you can't grow a beard, don't try. Patchy thin beards just look like you don't care. Be smooth and happy.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Dork
9/11/11 11:43 p.m.

I'm happy not looking like a hobo.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
9/11/11 11:43 p.m.

All I have to ad to this is that I haven't let my beard grow out more than a week since last November. Back then it was patchy. I will be participating in no-shave November again, we will see if it is still as patchy.

chandler
chandler PowerDork
10/21/17 4:31 a.m.

Not sure if canoe; but this thread was full of win back then. 

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/21/17 7:35 a.m.

SF1 needs to come back and let us know if he ever succeeded in growing a beard. 

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
10/21/17 8:34 a.m.

Good luck, I've been trying to convince him for years. 

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
10/21/17 8:34 a.m.

Canoe deleted. 

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4pCQKv07VQUbJ14ds0FiPM2jCKVoO1DyT7CNpeFWUF09yXEkM6EeyUQQ1pMb6Ll5